Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of waiting. Just got my final letter from vw for the tdi buyback. Have a black edition waiting for me at the dealership. Hopefully will have it the week between Christmas and new years. Anyone whe in the same boat? Anyone go through this process? Any tips?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I am tired of waiting. Just got my final letter from vw for the tdi buyback. Have a black edition waiting for me at the dealership. Hopefully will have it the week between Christmas and new years. Anyone whe in the same boat? Anyone go through this process? Any tips?

Similar, but not the same. I got hosed on resale of a TDI Q5. Perfect vehicle for me, but the mileage was getting to a point of warranty expiration, and it looked as though there was not going to be any movement of the Phase 2 resolve other than flash the system.

So, I bought the Black Edition. Coming from the Audi, I've come to appreciate what Audi does with their design thinking. It far surpasses Honda, and so I get frustrated at times. But if you are coming from the VW line, I think you will enjoy this truck quite a bit. And I do NOT mean that in a demeaning manner, I only mean on a cost for feature basis and how it compares to what you had.

As a former fellow TDI brethren, you will absolutely hate the mileage. You will be tripling your visits to the pump (due to small tank and worse mileage). For me, it might be exaggerated, because I do a lot of work from the vehicle... and since you cannot shut the damn thing off in the middle of a phone call, I tend to do a lot of idling, and it is a thirsty idler.

Great otherwise. And hey, you are getting out of a market loss. Hope you enjoy it! Good timing for you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 Passat SEL TDI that I have been waiting to turn in for a long time as well. I've already negotiated the OTD price for a new RTL-E with my local dealership, It's being built time now and shipped around Christmas. I am getting nervous though, because I haven't received the final paper work with VWs final offer. I've read once you receive the final offer, you print sign, get it notarized and send it back. Once they receive the paper work then VW will setup an appointed to buy back the vehicle. With two weeks until Christmas I highly doubt I'll have my settlement money by the time my RTLE comes in. I planned on buying the truck outright but I might have to finance some of the truck until the settlement comes in and just pay it off in full afterwards. Anyway keep me posted I'm curious to see how other VW owners are faring.

Cheers.

-Max

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2013 Passat SEL TDI that I have been waiting to turn in for a long time as well. I've already negotiated the OTD price for a new RTL-E with my local dealership, It's being built time now and shipped around Christmas. I am getting nervous though, because I haven't received the final paper work with VWs final offer. I've read once you receive the final offer, you print sign, get it notarized and send it back. Once they receive the paper work then VW will setup an appointed to buy back the vehicle. With two weeks until Christmas I highly doubt I'll have my settlement money by the time my RTLE comes in. I planned on buying the truck outright but I might have to finance some of the truck until the settlement comes in and just pay it off in full afterwards. Anyway keep me posted I'm curious to see how other VW owners are faring.

Cheers.

-Max
Yes. Someone to suffer with! I just got the offer notorized last week on Tuesday. They offered me 22k for my 2013 golf tdi. 4 door six speed manual. 81k miles. I owe 10k. So I'll put the rest on a down payment. My wife drives the 2016 pilot. If it's anything like that in sure I'm going to love it. I'll let you know how fast they turn around with am appointment to wrap it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How close was your initial estimate to the actual dollar amount that was offered to you? I was estimated to receive around 27,000.

-Max

·
Registered
60 Posts
We sold our 04 Golf TDI with 525 000km on in and tried to buy a TDI sport wagon just as the news unfolded last year - so stuck without a car, in dealer limbo, with our new car just sitting on their lot, undeliverable. Deposit paid. So we've had a loaner for 15 months on VW corporate's dime. Since the writing on the wall was it being very unlikely TDI will pass current standards, that meant our contract would be torn up and we'd be shopping again, with gas engines as the option. Sooo... somehow convinced my wife a truck was a great idea, even though it was her turn for a new vehicle, she drives my 2010 jetta Wolfburg, and I bought a Ridgeline in Sept. Returned the loaner to VW at the same time, said thank you, all the best. Truck is thirsty - holy man. It costs about 13c/km to run in fuel, when I thought the jetta was bad (turbo, premium fuel @10c/km). But the truck is so amazing in so many ways. And instead of encouraging aggressive driving like the jetta, it totally just mellows you out on the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my RTL-E in September. I'm taking my 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen (125K miles) in on Wednesday to receive my buyback. They estimate 14K. I'm making out in the deal. I bought it cash in 12/2009 for 27K. The mileage takes some getting used to but the features, space, and utility more than make up for it IMHO.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The mileage takes some getting used to but the features, space, and utility more than make up for it IMHO.
That's my take as well - I wanted a more fuel efficient vehicle, but I'm willing to pay the extra gas for the RL. Then again, my old Outback didn't get great gas mileage anyway so the RL is only a slight downgrade in fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Actually you can shut the engine off in the middle of a phone call without shutting the info/nav/audio system down or losing your phone call. Put the truck in Park but keep holding the gear selector button on the front of the gear selector. After the engine stops and BEFORE letting go of the gear selector button (keep your foot off the brake or the engine will restart) press the ignition switch. The system will stay on without affecting your phone call. :wink:

Similar, but not the same. I got hosed on resale of a TDI Q5. Perfect vehicle for me, but the mileage was getting to a point of warranty expiration, and it looked as though there was not going to be any movement of the Phase 2 resolve other than flash the system.

So, I bought the Black Edition. Coming from the Audi, I've come to appreciate what Audi does with their design thinking. It far surpasses Honda, and so I get frustrated at times. But if you are coming from the VW line, I think you will enjoy this truck quite a bit. And I do NOT mean that in a demeaning manner, I only mean on a cost for feature basis and how it compares to what you had.

As a former fellow TDI brethren, you will absolutely hate the mileage. You will be tripling your visits to the pump (due to small tank and worse mileage). For me, it might be exaggerated, because I do a lot of work from the vehicle... and since you cannot shut the damn thing off in the middle of a phone call, I tend to do a lot of idling, and it is a thirsty idler.

Great otherwise. And hey, you are getting out of a market loss. Hope you enjoy it! Good timing for you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The gas mileage has to be better than the 17ish MPG I am getting with my wife's 2003 Honda Pilot! I've been driving that for awhile to keep the miles off of my VW while I wait to turn it in. I've been wanting a truck for a long time and once I took a RTL-T for a test drive I was hooked. I went with the RTL-E, hope I am making the right decision. I can tell you I have some anxiety, because I have yet to see a RTL-E in person and test the in truck bed audio system. Heard a lot of good things so far, but that is all I have until mine comes in...any words of reassurance?!

-Max

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my RTL-E in September. I'm taking my 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen (125K miles) in on Wednesday to receive my buyback.
What an eery coincidence. I bought my RT in September and I'm taking my 2011 Jetta Sportwagen back on Wednesday, too.

I planned to keep driving the VW until I got the buyback but then, a few months ago, a near head-on collision convinced me to just park it until it was time to take into the dealership. There was a certain time frame where totaling the VW would've very significantly lowered the compensation, even though that's all they're doing to it. It was stickered new at $29k, I paid 26, put ~80k miles on it, and they're buying it back for 20.5 - heckuva deal.

No real complaints against the Jetta but I definitely like the truck better for nearly every reason. She's driven 10k+ miles with an average of 24.7 mpg (lots of highway) and the mpg is really all I miss.

Reactions: cookin2night

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm another TDI Sportswagen owner who has bought a Ridgeline as a replacement (Traded in my 2003 Avalanche as well). Just received my final offer letter over the weekend and will get it notarized today and sent back in. Since I got the Ridgeline a week ago I've parked the VW. Agree with the Ridgeline fueling frequency versus the VW takes some getting used to but the ride is sooo nice. Not as fun to drive but more relaxing overall. Hoping to get a turn-in date before the end of the year to avoid Personal Property taxes in 2017 on the VW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My buyback appointment is this Wednesday as well- '13 Passat TDI SEL with 54,000 miles. I paid $28k new and am selling it back for $27,136. I bought a BE as replacement for my '06 Ridgeline, and just picked up a GTI Autobahn to replace the Passat. Perfect complement for the Ridgeline. I already miss the TDI gas mileage, but otherwise I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My buyback appointment is this Wednesday as well- '13 Passat TDI SEL with 54,000 miles. I paid $28k new and am selling it back for $27,136. I bought a BE as replacement for my '06 Ridgeline, and just picked up a GTI Autobahn to replace the Passat. Perfect complement for the Ridgeline. I already miss the TDI gas mileage, but otherwise I'm not complaining.
Nice! I believe my 13' Passat SEL has around the same mileage. I'd definitely take 27,136 for my buy back. This waiting game is killing me though.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
The paperwork for my '13 Sportwagen/M6/Pano was approved on 11/3 and I've been waiting on offer letter ever since. By my calcs, I'm getting $23k, +/- a mileage decrement depending on when the transaction happens. A co-worker put his paperwork in 2 weeks after me, and already has his appointment for next week. The logic escapes me. I had been looking to replace it Aug 2015 on account of a growing family. The 1.5 year delay is irksome, but I'm not sweating another month or three of depreciation-free 40mpg driving. What I'm looking for is a rare bird (RTL-T in Forest Mist). That I'm aware of, only one has come within 100 miles of me, and that was August at Autofair Manchester. When I get my VW letter in hand, I'll get serious, but I'm not wasting either the dealers' or my time beforehand. My guess for timing is that Presidents' day sales might pay off. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
The paperwork for my '13 Sportwagen/M6/Pano was approved on 11/3 and I've been waiting on offer letter ever since. By my calcs, I'm getting $23k, +/- a mileage decrement depending on when the transaction happens. A co-worker put his paperwork in 2 weeks after me, and already has his appointment for next week. The logic escapes me. I had been looking to replace it Aug 2015 on account of a growing family. The 1.5 year delay is irksome, but I'm not sweating another month or three of depreciation-free 40mpg driving. What I'm looking for is a rare bird (RTL-T in Forest Mist). That I'm aware of, only one has come within 100 miles of me, and that was August at Autofair Manchester. When I get my VW letter in hand, I'll get serious, but I'm not wasting either the dealers' or my time beforehand. My guess for timing is that Presidents' day sales might pay off.
Yeah I'm with you, I've been waiting forever. Couldn't hurt to go to the dealer and see if they could order you one. That's what I did, they actually ordered the wrong interior color and then they reordered me another with the right color.

-Max

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We sold our 04 Golf TDI with 525 000km on in and tried to buy a TDI sport wagon just as the news unfolded last year - so stuck without a car, in dealer limbo, with our new car just sitting on their lot, undeliverable. Deposit paid. So we've had a loaner for 15 months on VW corporate's dime. Since the writing on the wall was it being very unlikely TDI will pass current standards, that meant our contract would be torn up and we'd be shopping again, with gas engines as the option. Sooo... somehow convinced my wife a truck was a great idea, even though it was her turn for a new vehicle, she drives my 2010 jetta Wolfburg, and I bought a Ridgeline in Sept. Returned the loaner to VW at the same time, said thank you, all the best. Truck is thirsty - holy man. It costs about 13c/km to run in fuel, when I thought the jetta was bad (turbo, premium fuel @10c/km). But the truck is so amazing in so many ways. And instead of encouraging aggressive driving like the jetta, it totally just mellows you out on the road.
Since my wife drives the sister vehicle, pilot, I am used to the mpg. It's like you said all the benefits will hopefully Outweigh the negative of the gas consumption.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The gas mileage has to be better than the 17ish MPG I am getting with my wife's 2003 Honda Pilot! I've been driving that for awhile to keep the miles off of my VW while I wait to turn it in. I've been wanting a truck for a long time and once I took a RTL-T for a test drive I was hooked. I went with the RTL-E, hope I am making the right decision. I can tell you I have some anxiety, because I have yet to see a RTL-E in person and test the in truck bed audio system. Heard a lot of good things so far, but that is all I have until mine comes in...any words of reassurance?!

-Max
My wife's pilot gets 22 to 23 mpg in mixed use. Definitely not the 45 to 50 that I get. I wanted the rtl-e but you can't get any around here let alone get any discount. For some reason the black edition they are more eager to work with you on the price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am happy to sell my car back for that kind of money, but VW has definitely dropped the ball on the buyback process itself. It apparently didn't occur to them that so many people would be taking the buyback so early in the timeline. I seem to have gotten lucky, but it's also possible they will screw something up between now and Wednesday!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts