Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Where did they get the factory paint code? I want to do the same thing. AWESOME!!!!:D
Factory paint code is on a sticker on the inside of the frame around the driver's door. Open the door and look toward the rear of the vehicle on the door frame. I have the Steel Blue color and the paint code is B-533M-4. You should see a similar type code.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Factory paint code is on a sticker on the inside of the frame around the driver's door. Open the door and look toward the rear of the vehicle on the door frame. I have the Steel Blue color and the paint code is B-533M-4. You should see a similar type code.
Thanks Chef, I appreciate it. Ordering my deflector tomorrow. Now I'm off to find a good paint guy in Atlanta.:D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just got my hood deflector delivered and painted this week. Thanks to Beaullieu for information on the priming, painting and clearcoat. It was very easy. I am mounting it tomorrow and will post pics after.

Thanks to all on this thread. This should be one of the first mods considered!!!:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just got my hood deflector delivered and painted this week. Thanks to Beaullieu for information on the priming, painting and clearcoat. It was very easy. I am mounting it tomorrow and will post pics after.

:D
VOLinGA,
I assume you painted it yourself, where did you get the info? I am going to do the same for my silver Ridge and have lined up where to buy everything but haven't seen any tips for the actual painting.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
VOLinGA,
I assume you painted it yourself, where did you get the info? I am going to do the same for my silver Ridge and have lined up where to buy everything but haven't seen any tips for the actual painting.
If you have everything, all materials like clear deflector, paint, and clear coat, you first need to degrease the clear deflector. The inside part of the deflector with degreaser. Make sure you make a mix of 10/90 or something that you can make sure its very clean and there's no residue of some sort on the plastic. Also, do not use any abraisive stuff that can scratch the inside. I used a microfiber towel to dry the inside part and make sure there's no dust or dirt to where you're painting "it will stick to your deflector due to static" also mask all surrounding plastic and the opposite side of deflector, after you cleaned it all well, start by painting by making one pass and let it dry for 2 min, and make another pass and wait for two min. and continue until you have full coverage and you cant see through it. Wait aprox 30 min no longer or shorter, or the clear coat will bubble up on the inside. "found this out by my own error" The make a couple of pass with the clear coat. Wait for a full day to dry depending on the temp and weather...i did mine over the summer when the weather was sunny and the air was dry. For good curing wait to install for 3 days.

The back side will be exposed by dirt, water, wind and some sun reflection but not much. You want to put enough clear coat to protect the paint so it doesn't transfer on the opposite side for any scratches.

That's how i did my own, cuz every paint shop that i research on was trying to charge aprox $130 to $180 just to paint match the deflector. Good luck.

If you have anymore question, call any good reputable paint shop on how to prep and paint.

ps. becarefull on installing the screws, don't over tighten cuz you can crack the plastic and all that work + materials will be thrown away;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
VOLinGA,
Lou,

Below is what Beaullieu sent me for instructions. I followed them to the letter and everything worked great. Having some issues installing the shield but hope to have that corrected tomorrow.

Good Luck

No, I painted myself. It's really easy and you can do it yourself.
You will need the following:
1. Spray clear primer for plastic.
2. Spray body color.
3. Spray Clear Coat
4. Wide "blue" painters masking tape
Mask the front side of the deflector with wide masking tape and overlap edge (completely cover the front). Use a razor to cut the tape cleanly so only the back of the shield can be painted.
Primer goes on first. Be very careful to apply thin coats because if you get a run, it will show through. Use two coats of clear primer.
After the primer dries, apply 2-3 thin coats of body color paying attention not to let it run. After the body color dries, apply 2 thin coats of clear coat.
After it dries, remove the masking tape from the front and install. I masked over the attachment points so that I could see through them during install.

Following is a link to a site where I bought the paint.
I used Bulldog primer and it worked fine.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

Materials cost is under $35 if you do it yourself.

Alternatively, I would contact an independent body shop. I recall a couple of RL owners reported that they had it done for $70-90.

Good luck. Let me know how you progress... I'm really enjoying my deflector..

·
Registered
67 Posts
kanji and VOLinGA,
Thanks for the information. It maybe a while til I get to paint it...
I went away on a Carribean cruise the day after Thanksgiving and when I got back to Jersey Sunday, I found that winter has shown up! I think it's going to be a while before we get any days warm enough to paint. I'll post the results (good, bad or ugly) when I get it done!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
kanji and VOLinGA,
I went away on a Carribean cruise the day after Thanksgiving and when I got back to Jersey Sunday, I found that winter has shown up! I think it's going to be a while before we get any days warm enough to paint. I'll post the results (good, bad or ugly) when I get it done!
ya, i don't think you don't want to paint it when its cold, i've actually never tried painting during winter time, unless you have a heated room with vents :confused: , just make sure you degrease your deflector before you paint and dry it with a lint free towel or mircofiber...the paint store where i bought mine, explicitly told me to degrease it before painting, sine the plastic has some sort of residue on it or something...yea..looking forward for you pics.

·
Registered
216 Posts
kanji and VOLinGA,
Glad to help. I can't take credit for any of this, just passing on great information and a great idea. The shield apparently did its job. I have two seperate cracks in it where rocks hit it. No dings on the hood at all. I will wait for a piece to crack off before I replace it with another shield, but I will do it all over again. The deflector has made a significant difference on the wind noise too.

One hint on the installation. Once you locate the holes for the grommets, use a utility knife to cut back the rubber strip around the holes. That way you can keep that strip in place and it will not interfere with the grommets seating correctly.

The directions say to start with the outside screws first and then do the inside screws. I found it easier to do the inside screws first and then the outside. It will help if you have someone hold the shield firmly against the hood while you install the screws. Less chance of the grommets slipping out.

Good Luck!:D

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The directions say to start with the outside screws first and then do the inside screws. I found it easier to do the inside screws first and then the outside. It will help if you have someone hold the shield firmly against the hood while you install the screws. Less chance of the grommets slipping out.

Good Luck!:D
I think its either way, i installed it on the outside screws first to allign the shield to the body so it matched up. then installed the inner screws. Basically what ever you feel will work both ways, just don't over tighten the screws, you can crack the sheild or plastic from the screw pressure. Also, note that the shield will contact the body, so you may have to shave a few mm of plastic off so it doesn't chip the paint (usually its near the headlights or the edge of the body and hood area...hard to decribe with words, you will see when you install the deflector.

Anyways, good luck and post pictures when you're done installing. :D

ps. if you don't feel like cutting the rubber from the hood, you can either folded it back like others have done, or you can remove the rubber by pulling out the plastic pins that holds the rubber to the hood. with dyke pliers or needlenose. its all up to you to what you feel it will work for you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I tried installing the outer screws at first. Problem was the opposite side kept falling down. It was just easier for me to hold the deflector at the center and start with the center screws. Whichever is easier for you. But it does help to have another set of hands. Good luck:D

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have not read the entire thread, but I googled the name Wade painted bug deflector and I found a site that will paint the deflector. They match the color from the door. That is where the exact color is listed. It looks a lot cheaper and easier, then doing it yourself or finding some one local to paint. Do it yourself can be scary and takes time. Here the link.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.wade-oe-bug-shield/

Has anyone out there purchased this deflector from this company? Would like some feedback before I make the purchase. Love bug season is closing in fast here in Florida and Southeast. Sorry if all this was posted earlier, I will finish reading the entire thread later, out of time to read more now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Their price to paint listed was $95 plus the $59.99 for the shield. I bought primer, body color spray and clear coat on line for about $35.

Painting is really very easy. It took about 30 min to thoroughly mask off the front side of the shield, less than 2 min to apply the primer, overnight wait to apply body color which took another 5 min, overnite wait to apply clear coat which also took 5 min.

I got excellent results and saved the $60. But, if you are hesitant to paint yourself, the extra $60 would ensure good results...

I just happen to like "do-it-yourself" projects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm interested in the Wade hood deflectors and own a formal black RTL. Does anyone have a smoke colored Wade reflector on a black RL? Just wondering if I need to order clear and paint it or whether smoke looks good on a black truck.

Thanks,
John.

07 Formal Black RTL

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I would think a smoked deflector would look fine on black. I would prefer the painted look, however.

I wonder how just using a clear deflector would look over the black with no paint at all. With such a deep and bold color as black, you may not need to paint it.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
agreed, I just realized that from the replies. I should be able to save $50 to buy other goodies for the truck. Doing it myself is scary and I think I would spend too much time. That is why I love this site, great ideas and feedback. Thanks everyone. Doing the rear mud guards today.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought primer, body color spray and clear coat on line for about $35.

It took about 30 min to thoroughly mask off the front side of the shield, less than 2 min to apply the primer, overnight wait to apply body color which took another 5 min, overnite wait to apply clear coat which also took 5 min.
I'm curious about the color of the primer. Since the shield was painted from the inside, and the primer goes on first, wouldn't the primer color be what shows thru on the outside ?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm curious about the color of the primer. Since the shield was painted from the inside, and the primer goes on first, wouldn't the primer color be what shows thru on the outside ?
As far as I know, you are absolutely correct. People I know didn't use primer for this particular application.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts