Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There no questioning it the 2017 Ridgeline is very refined and feature rich compared to its competitors, but I can't help wondering what's down the road and should I wait.

Likely
-Locking tailgate
-New head unit with Volume knob

Highly likely (features from Canadian model)
- Heated windshield wiper area
-Rain sensing wipers
- Vented seats
-Heated rear seats
-Turn signals in the mirrors
-Power folding mirors
- Rear climate control panel

Maybe but probably not anytime soon
-9 or 10 speed transmission (after kinks worked out in other models
-better gas mileage
-Facelift (less pilot like)
-Doors reengineered to open wider

Never
-Off-Road edition

More competition
-2018-19 Ranger
-2018-19 Jeep pickup
-20something Nissan

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I would think most of those things will eventually come, but aside from the volume knob I wouldn't expect major feature changes until a mid-cycle refresh further down the line.

Rain sensing wipers are already available.

My opinion is that the doors won't be re-engineered as they aren't really a marketable feature. While a few people may be upset, if it isn't ultimately affecting sales they won't spend money to change it. Same goes for a locking tailgate.

In the end, new features are always only a few years away. You can continue to wait for what's next or buy what you want when the time is right for you.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Rain sensing wipers are already available.
wow
that is the last feature I would ever want on any vehicle. Is there someone that lazy or stupid that cannot be bother to turn on the wipers or doesn't know it is actually raining?
Didn't a dealer say it is not a rolls royce? (or somthing like that...)
if it actually eliminated the wiper control, I would never buy that vehicle.

·
Registered
235 Posts
wow
that is the last feature I would ever want on any vehicle. Is there someone that lazy or stupid that cannot be bother to turn on the wipers or doesn't know it is actually raining?
Didn't a dealer say it is not a rolls royce? (or somthing like that...)
if it actually eliminated the wiper control, I would never buy that vehicle.
Assuming I'm not missing sarcasm here...

It doesn't eliminate the wiper control. Just like the auto-headlight feature. They will turn on without the driver command or can be manually controlled by the driver.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I doubt there would be significant changes for a couple of years.
There are theories that say the first year Is the best and subsequent years are used to cheapen things and squeeze profit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Likely
-Locking tailgate
Likely? That's a bit of a stretch there. Honda specifically chose not to have it on the new 2017. I would love to eat my words, but I highly doubt that will be an added OEM feature.

On the bright side, you have OEM speaker exciters to be excited about!

·
Registered
547 Posts
There is always going to be something new to wait for, I was waiting for flying cars but in the meantime I kind of need something now.
In my opinion in never makes sense waiting unless you need to wait for personal reasons, like money or you just bought something else a year ago... that kind of thing.

But it never seems to make sense to wait for features on something, than you wait your whole life away instead of just enjoying what is; manufactures are always going to change things, you can wait till 2018 than they will say hey but in 2019 there will be this feature, and than 2020... it never ends.

If you like what they are offering, buy it, and stop worrying about what MIGHT BE in the future, zombies may take over before then. At least that's my viewpoint.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I doubt there would be significant changes for a couple of years.
There are theories that say the first year Is the best and subsequent years are used to cheapen things and squeeze profit.
Now that you mention it, i have heard that before. My buddy bought a new '96 mustang gt. He then had to wreck that mustang. Then he bought a new '98 mustang gt. I can remember him commenting several times about the '98 being "cheapened."

I'm sure it works both ways to some extent, though. I would think they would work to get some of the bugs out, and work on ways to lessen their costs. I guess the lessening their costs is probably a higher priority. The getting the bugs out might be mainly for stuff that they are getting a lot of warranty claims on.........thus trying to lessen their overall costs again.

The more i think about it, the more i like your theory.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Honda, other than the 2013 to 2014 Civic (which Consumer's Reports failed as really bad) has never changed anything other than Federally required changes or minor performance changes until mid refresh. The 2006 to 2014 Ridgeline had the same radio all that time. They did add sensors from 2006 to 2007 for emissions and a fix for the 45-48 mph gear search the transmission did. Nothing changed much until the 2009 refresh.

If the Ridgeline was a bread and butter vehicle (Accord, Civic, CR-V and maybe the Pilot and/or Odyssey) the changes could happen between year 1 and year 2. It is a line filler and Honda Management does not worry about it ever. Line fillers are allowed to die, see here are line fillers: the Element, Prelude, DelSol, Crosstour, Insight 1 and 2 all were allowed to die.

If Honda really cared about the Ridgeline, a new model would have appeared in 2010 as a 2011. The 2nd gen Ridgeline is a Pilot with a bed. Like the Ford Ranchero was a Falcon/Torino with a bed.

My 2 cents as I have owned Honda's off and on since 1976 (that's 40 years). I have left Honda before for Subaru and probably will again as I see faulty engineering in the latest models or really sorry quality control. There are too many new Hondas at the dealers needing something fixed. Honda's used to never need anything fixed. My 1st 30 years of Honda's, Other than PDI issues, I never took one in other than for recall notices. I did get the early 2006 fuse box fixed at the St. Louis ROC meeting for free, that was the only thing that I had to fix. My 2003 Chevy Silverado required visits almost every week for minor things ( power window stuck, power fold in mirror stuck, A/C compressor failed 2 times, radio failed 3 times, passenger power seat failed. drivers lumbar failed. sunroof stuck open. )

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Rear doors - I can see them fixing the doors if they get enough dealer complaints and the fix is a relatively simple hinge redesign (low investment plus high return on customer/dealer satisfaction)....but if it's more complicated than a simple hinge design, then it will be a MMR or Gen3 issue.

Tailgate lock - I don't think Honda will intro a tailgate lock next year, no matter how much the (relatively small) RL market demands it. If it is addressed by the aftermarket, Honda will deem that 'good enough' and maybe work on an in-house solution by MMR if it isn't too much effort. They have enough work to make the tailgate reliable in the first place. Gee-whiz efforts like IBA seem to be more important from a marketing standpoint.

Headlights - Joe mentioned a very good chance of MY18 Ridgeline getting updated headlights, or LED headlights across the board, in response to the IIHS report. He also mentioned Honda has a renewed interest/emphasis on safety items, so perhaps some of the nannies will filter down from the E/BE. In that vein, there is a possibility of trim realignment to something more sensible, like the Canadian trims levels.

Transmission - This one is a wildcard. As I mentioned in other threads, I think it hinges on several variables, such as 1) contractual issues with ZF, 2) readiness of the 10AT, 3) whether they want to play brand/model games with who gets it first. If it gets significantly better MPG, they will want it in all lines ASAP, to get CAFE credits which they can sell for much-needed cash. Since Ridgeline is a low-volume vehicle, this may not be a big deal; however, Honda may wish to keep claim to best-in-class MPG claims, esp with GM upping the game with VCM and a new tranny for the Coloranyon. If we get the 10AT, I hope they do not implement Start/Stop (or at least make it defeatable), and I hope they make it push-button to free up the center console for more/better storage.

Off-road - Not going to happen anytime soon. If anything, maybe see active suspension by the time Gen3 arrives. AS could give you a 2" lift at low speed that turns into a 2" drop at high speeds - best of both worlds if they can work out suspension issues (easier to do with BOF).

Appearance package - could differentiate more from the Pilot if the RL sells well, but won't happen until MMR at earliest.

For MMR, I would expect to see things like a tow package / work truck (Contractor Special), as well as different cab/bed configurations, like extended cab with 6.5-foot bed. Joe mentioned that a significant benefit to the new platform was the ability for different configurations, so I'd expect Honda to take advantage of that, if the truck proves popular.

Engine - Honda is big on hybrid tech, and we might see something new for the MMR. I wouldn't mind a turbo-four from the Civic mated to hybrid electric drive, with on board user-friendly generator package to sweeten the deal (would be major hit among contractors, campers, farmers, etc. Lkke it or not, the V6's days are limited.

Looking at the big picture, I see the possibility for Honda to update models quicker, if their computer-simulated R&D proves reliable. This could mean a Gen3 instead of a MMR, or maybe a MMR in 2019 and a Gen3 in 2021. Sounds wishful, but I think it is very possible, especially if the truck proves popular. Increased possibilities if the truck goes global, as per Honda's original plans. They can always build or reconfigure existing plants for more RL production, as well as build RL's overseas for overseas markets. Global platform means high-priority, non-filler status, with quicker updates and much better QA/QC.

Just my $0.02 (with a healthy dose of wishful thinking thrown in)...

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
They are not available on US models. I have an RTL-E and they are not included. Had them on my previous car and really enjoyed them but not a deal breaker at all for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad. I thought they were on the upper trims, but maybe I confused that with auto high beams. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
...Just my $0.02 (with a healthy dose of wishful thinking thrown in)...
That overview is worth at least $2.00! My thoughts are similar with a couple tweaks:

Tailgate lock - AFAIK, the new RL is now the only US pickup truck without one...but an aftermarket lock is on the way. If the design task is simple enough, I can see Honda adding it before MMR or at least making it a dealer-installed accessory (throw the dealers a profit bone).

10AT - It's a wild card. Pushbutton trannys have not been universally embraced yet by reviewers or owners. Except for keeping the "class-leading mpg" claim, I don't see Honda rushing it into the RL until MMR.

I agree that we might see faster updates to the G2 than we did with the G1. Everything about the auto industry is changing faster than ever. If RL sales are good and the US truck market continues to surge, Honda may put more emphasis on keeping the G2 competitive. They've already hinted that they want a bigger piece of the pickup pie and the G2 promotional effort suggests they're going after it, despite current production ceilings.

Back to the OP's question -- I'd say if you don't need a new truck now and like the idea that some of these improvements could happen in the next couple years, just wait. With so many bad reviews of the 8" screen/head unit, I think that's one of the first things that Honda will address. And surely they will fix the other QC glitches that are already costing them dearly in warranty claims. OTOH, if you really like what the 2017 RL has brought to the table and want the latest safety features now, then go for it! If nothing else, a new RL should hold its resale value very well.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
I would say, Honda sensing will probably be available on ALL models of the RL in 2018.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
Do you think the sensing would be standard on all trims, or as options? Does honda do options on any of their vehicles? I wonder how much the sensing would increase each msrp.
IMHO, it won't be standard, but will be an option. The cost is minimal, less than $1,000.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My guesses and hopes for the mid-model refresh:

1. Tailgate Damper. Super easy engineering, adds to the feel of the truck.

2. 10AT with push button controls. The controls are already in the MDX.

3. 4cyl with Hybrid. Slightly less HP, much higher torque. EPA MPG 35. Also elimination of rear drive mechanical components, replaced with electric motors (see NSX individual front electric motors).

4. Diesel. Honda has some positively brilliant Diesel engines. Again, slightly less HP, much higher torque. They will bury the Ecodiesel and the baby Duramax with better performance and better MPGs. Since Honda is fairly risk-averse, they may wait until after VW's "diesel-gate" problem dust has settled, or decide to kill the idea all together.

Give me two or more of these, and I'll get off my wallet and buy a Ridgeline!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
The MMC for the Pilot will be in 2019. What ever it gets will most likely happen to the RL in 2020. Some stuff from Acura will most likely filter down too. Honda is actually pretty easy to predict. Don't expect the 2018 RL to offer a Off road "Raptor Fighter" edition sitting on 34" tires.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts