Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spoke to my local truck accessory shop who have done work for me in the past including a class III hitch on my 99 Tacoma. They informed me that in approximately 4-5 weeks a hitch for the RL will be available from DrawTite, and they quoted me a price of $259.00 installed!

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Thanks for the update. I've been waiting for the aftermarket hitch companies to deliver.

Do you know if the installation includes the wiring? Is the wiring installed the same way as the factory hitch?

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Reese is showing a hitch on their site, part number 44528.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It looks like Draw-tite also has a hitch now PN75280.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Looks like Draw-Tite and Reese are owned by the same parent company, Cequent Towing Products, with Reese the retail channel and Draw-Tite the dealer channel. No phone number on either site. :mad: But it was easy enough to find.

Draw-Tite's hitch will be released at the end of next week. No data other than what was on the website is available now. I'll call back then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had a honda hitch installed on my Ridgeline - less than 460 canadian installed and I will tell you it is great hitch - includes two pin set ups and a bar lock. Well put together.

Just my comment.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
amazonEX-L said:
I just had a honda hitch installed on my Ridgeline - less than 460 canadian installed.
That's about $375 USD and I'd jump at that if I could get it. I'm looking at $450 USD in parts alone.

I'm also a Draw-Tite customer and I have some amount of brand loyalty as they are great products, but your price would convince me otherwise. :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
amazonEX-L said:
I just had a honda hitch installed on my Ridgeline - less than 460 canadian installed and I will tell you it is great hitch - includes two pin set ups and a bar lock. Well put together.

Just my comment.

Was that for just the Hitch or Hitch, Wiring and Install?

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Road trip!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
shovelhd said:
Is the wiring installed the same way as the factory hitch?
I was wondering the same thing. From the website, it looks like it wires into the tail lights?? Would be nice if it adds both connectors like the dealer option!

·
Registered
10,401 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
hitchit.com shows the Draw-Tite available mid-May on their site, but after confirming with their distributor, they say that the hitch will be available in 2-4 weeks, but the wiring will lag at least another two weeks after that. Pricing comes out to about $250 shipped for all the parts, including a Modulite that takes the added lighting load away from the taillight circuits.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I thought of that, but there are two issues. First, it would take some engineering to mount that connector box to a round tube hitch. Second, I really only need the four-flat connector as I have not, in the twenty+ years of owning a truck, ever needed to tow a trailer with electric brakes that required a 6 pin connector. So I'd rather not tear up my dash, interior, and bed panels to add something I don't need. The Mod-Lite box does the same thing as the Honda relay system except you can run the battery wire underneath the truck.

So now I have to decide whether I can wait the 4+ weeks for the aftermarket to get everything together in a package.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
shovelhd said:
First, it would take some engineering to mount that connector box to a round tube hitch.
I didn't realize the harness mounted to the hitch. Glad you pointed that out. I hardly ever need to tow anything, so I doubt I'll add an hitch...at least not until I think I may need it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The factory harness isn't a big deal to install.

You plug it in by the tail light and run the connector to the hitch.

On the inside you pop off one dash panel (1 screw a few clips) and plug in the other harness, add a relay or two and a few fuses and you are set.

You don't have to tear apart the bed or the interior. (although you do for the camera install)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased the factory hitch and harness, costs-Hitch:$304.10, harness:$140.00, tax:$29.98, Total: $474.08. I installed it myself, with a little help from my wife (holding one end of the hitch while I bolted it on). The directions were right on and it took us 1.5 hours of casual installing. It fits like a custom made suit, like a perfect match!

I like to save money, don't get me wrong. This wasn't the area that I wanted to go cheap on. I've installed Valley's, Drawtights, and a few other no names, but no matter nice they were, Honda's hitch has the "right fit and look" for the RL.

Just my 2 cents worth, :) .

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I paid MSRP for my RL but got rear splash guards and the trailer hitch and harness for free.

A hitch is a hitch. Any one ever have one fail?? I doubt it. Unless Reese or Draw-Tite really beats the price you can't go wrong with the factory hitch which is available today.

Bonus...it comes with the Honda "H" on the receiver cover!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts