Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my BE programmed to lock all doors when I walk away. Today when I ran a bunch of errands, I got a beep,beep,beep when I walked away and no door locking unless i used my remote. anyone know why? all doors and windows were closed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the RTL-E last week and programmed the walk away lock also. I've noticed inconsistencies with the locking. Last night I came home from the grocery store and had to open the back door to remove groceries. I left the back door open for a while (5 min); with all the groceries out I closed the back door and walked away. It did not auto lock. I'll be double checking it from now on.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Be sure you are carrying the same remote you used when you programmed the walk away setting. If you used remote 1 to program the truck, and grab remote 2, it will not work (the settings are held to the remote/driver)

Possible a zone somewhere was not fully closed.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,899 Posts
I've been using it since late June and I haven't had any problems at all. It does occasionally make strange beeps at me that I have no clue what they are. But whenever I've gone back to check the door was locked. Anyway this excerpt from the electronic manual may offer some possible reasons for what happened:

The auto lock function does not operate when any of the following conditions are met.

• The smart entry remote is inside the vehicle.

• A door or the hood is not closed.

• The power mode is set to any mode other than OFF.

• The smart entry remote is not located within a radius of about 6 feet (2 m) from the vehicle when you get out of the vehicle and close the doors.

The auto lock function will make the warning in the following cases.
The warning buzzer will sound to make sure the walk away auto lock is not activated.

• The auto lock function is deactivated.

Auto lock function operation stop beeper

After the auto lock function has been activated, the auto lock operation stop beeper sounds for approximately two seconds in the following cases.

• The smart entry remote is put inside the vehicle
through a window.

• You are located too close to the vehicle.

• The smart entry remote is put inside the trunk. If the warning beeper sounds, check that you are carrying the smart entry remote. Then, open/close a door and confirm the auto lock activation beeper sounds once.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have my BE programmed to lock all doors when I walk away. Today when I ran a bunch of errands, I got a beep,beep,beep when I walked away and no door locking unless i used my remote. anyone know why? all doors and windows were closed.
Its happened to me a few times, most recently this past weekend. I walked away from the vehicle while my wife had one of the rear doors open (both front doors were closed). When she closed the rear door, the RL beeped as you described. I haven't looked into it but I am sure someone here has the answer.

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
112 Posts
While I don't have a BE or -E, my -T only beeps at me when the truck is still on and I walk away from it. Was it possibly in accessory mode when you walked away from it?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I have the same issue on my BE where I get the quick beep in rapid succession for 2 seconds or so and it doesn't appear to lock. Only happens now and then. I also noticed my auto open doesn't work all the time when put hand behind door handle.

Seems to occur now and then when have my fob in same pocket as my cell phone. Have no idea if just a coincidence. Something I need to test.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Just tested. Out of 30 tries or so the only time I got the warning 2 seconds of beeps is when I held the fob directly behind my cell phone so cell was between truck and fob. Didnt always do it, but never did it while I was just holding fob without cell phone.

Guess I need to think about which pocket I put each in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought the RTL-E last week and programmed the walk away lock also. I've noticed inconsistencies with the locking. Last night I came home from the grocery store and had to open the back door to remove groceries. I left the back door open for a while (5 min); with all the groceries out I closed the back door and walked away. It did not auto lock. I'll be double checking it from now on.
Mine does this occasionally too. Also sometimes I get al long series of beeps under this condition. I know to watch out for the problem now though. I always push remote lock in this situation.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My wife occasionally leaves her bag with the driver2 key. I've been assuming this is the reason it beeps and doesn't lock. Never really confirmed as I just feel for my keyfob in the pocket and lock using that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't really tested this but IMO, the rapid beeping happens when the driver/key fob walks away (just a couple feet) from the truck while the passenger still has the door open.

I.E. You go to the store with your wife or kids, you shut the truck off, get out, shut the door and walk around and wait for them. For some reason they always take longer to get off. Lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine did it again this morning. I usually drive by myself and I have noticed at least 5 times where I walk away from the truck with the only key and it beeps at me as if something is wrong but I go back, open and close the door and it automatically locks when I walk away again. I think it has something to do with the interference of having the key in a pocket and the signal not making its way back to the truck.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Mine did it again this morning. I usually drive by myself and I have noticed at least 5 times where I walk away from the truck with the only key and it beeps at me as if something is wrong but I go back, open and close the door and it automatically locks when I walk away again. I think it has something to do with the interference of having the key in a pocket and the signal not making its way back to the truck.
The 2 sec beeping noise as explain in the manual is to alert you that the auto lock is NOT active ( because you'd closed the door(s) but still within the vicinity with the FOB. ;) )

look at point #2 -->> "you are too close to the vehicle" and the continuous beeper sounds mean the function is temporarily DEACTIVATED !

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same issues too. After having kids go and climb in (my kids) after I walked away, I'm paranoid and I hit the buttons anyway when I walk away. Might as well not have it. And the beep codes? Is there something in the manual about them?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Same issues too. After having kids go and climb in (my kids) after I walked away, I'm paranoid and I hit the buttons anyway when I walk away. Might as well not have it. And the beep codes? Is there something in the manual about them?
People just don't tend to read the manual these days ! :|:surprise:

all you have to do is look up 1 post above yours ! >:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I do - I read it before it was released ;) I don't have a lot of time on the forum nowadays (or even in my truck). I must have breezed right past that or thought I'd get more of technological beep code listing. Thanks for the heads up - I probably wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Kind of an annoying feature really. If I walk away from my vehicle first and a passenger leaves late (kids), I always get this beep code no matter how far I am.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I do - I read it before it was released ;) I don't have a lot of time on the forum nowadays (or even in my truck). I must have breezed right past that or thought I'd get more of technological beep code listing. Thanks for the heads up - I probably wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Kind of an annoying feature really. If I walk away from my vehicle first and a passenger leaves late (kids), I always get this beep code no matter how far I am.
The "captain" always leave last ! >:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same for me on my RTL. I do carry my work cell phone at times in the same pocket as the fob so I'll have to see if that's causing it as others have mentioned. I also now know to hit the lock button when this happens.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Same for me on my RTL. I do carry my work cell phone at times in the same pocket as the fob so I'll have to see if that's causing it as others have mentioned. I also now know to hit the lock button when this happens.
Interesting! When using my iPhone to provide a "hotspot" to link my iMac to the internet my wireless mouse was intermittently disappearing. I was ready to purchase a wired mouse until I read a post saying a smartphone in close proximity to a wireless mouse will interfere with the signal. Since moving my iPhone to the opposite side of the iMac from the location of the wireless mouse I've had no more problems.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts