Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain how this Walk Away Auto Lock setting is suppose to work? My understanding is: Exit vehicle and close door>a beep sounds> walk away past 8'>another beep and lights flash indicating doors are locked.

I have enabled Walk Away Auto Lock in Vehicle Settings however all I get is a beep about 3 sec after I close the door. When I walk away past 8' the second beep never happens and lights never flash. If I set the FOB down far away from the vehicle and go to the door it can be opened without the FOB. The doors never auto lock. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Maybe you're looking at the long-version (full) Manual … if not, perhaps the answer lies in a detail found in the 2 pages attached?

E.g. walk-away lock doesn't work unless the vehicle power is OFF at the main push button.

If you don't have it the full Manual (vs the much less comprehensive "Guide" delivered with the truck) can be downloaded from the Honda Owners website.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read the instruction in that page. Still beeps once after I close the door. I walk away past the 5' range but never get a 2nd beep or flashing lights. I leave the FOB far away and walk up to door but is still opens (quick beeps about 3 times). I'm going to figure this thing out if it kills me!

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
He has a 2018 RTL-E, according to another thread where he talks about tailgate locks. According to the specs, he should have the Smart Entry with Walk-away Auto Locks.

On a different story, my '19 Odyssey Elite has the same annoying scenario where it will beep multiple times to let me know the autolock has not worked. It happens so often that I just manually hit the lock button on the door or on the remote.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OP mentions enabling Walk-away so presumably he has it.

I walk away past the 5' range but never get a 2nd beep or flashing lights.
I don't get the 2nd beep or flashing lights either but my enabled walk-away does consistently lock the vehicle.

For the former, see page number 341 / PDF page 343 in the full manual, the setting in Vehicle>Door Setup>Keyless Lock Answer Back> On / Off … I have that intentionally OFF, which may carry-over to the walk-away-lock answer-back, too? I'm OK with that as I can hear the lock mechanism when they activate - I don't need or want another more audible confirmation.

But that wouldn't affect basic walk-away function it would seem, sorry, I've no further suggestions.

Good Luck!

PS - please consider adding your vehicle model info to a signature block - helps others more directly help you when questions come up ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP mentions enabling Walk-away so presumably he has it.

I don't get the 2nd beep or flashing lights either but my enabled walk-away does consistently lock the vehicle.

For the former, see page number 341 / PDF page 343 in the full manual, the setting in Vehicle>Door Setup>Keyless Lock Answer Back> On / Off … I have that intentionally OFF, which may carry-over to the walk-away-lock answer-back, too? I'm OK with that as I can hear the lock mechanism when they activate - I don't need or want another more audible confirmation.

But that wouldn't affect basic walk-away function it would seem, sorry, I've no further suggestions.

Good Luck!

PS - please consider adding your vehicle model info to a signature block - helps others more directly help you when questions come up ;)
Thanks for that Info. If I can ever get this Walk Away Lock thing to work I'll probably turn off unnecessary beep confirmation also.

I added my model in my signature

·
Registered
792 Posts
On a different story, my '19 Odyssey Elite has the same annoying scenario where it will beep multiple times to let me know the autolock has not worked. It happens so often that I just manually hit the lock button on the door or on the remote.
Oh Gawd, I sincerely hope that you don't over-strain your finger doing this? :devilish:
(All in fun!) ;)
Bill

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Also, go open and slam your trunk shut. Slim chance but it could be closed but not sensing it correctly. Same with hood. With fob being sensed present, it knows you left but some door, hood, or trunk issue would prevent second beep and thus locking because not all are reported as closed. I didn’t read the this but not that again above... will it lock 20 feet and 10 seconds later using fob button?

if yes, all doors, trunk, and hood are closed.

Get same results with BOTH fobs?

If no, change battery on inop one obviously, that probably wouldn’t hurt anyway if fob suspected.

Cell phones, tablets or other devices (battery powered radar detector) inside can mess up zones and fob signal as they can emit RF intermediate frequencies.
Just brainstorming and I think you’d hear a series of short beeps, is your other fob in console, glovebox or even the trunk when you walk away?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
@Al E Numan - follow-up / thread 'closure' is always appreciated ….. did you get it figured out?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Al E Numan - follow-up / thread 'closure' is always appreciated ….. did you get it figured out?
Nope; still one beep confirming its activated and no other beep to indicate its locked. I have to hit the lock button on the FOB to lock the vehicle. Apparently this is a known issue - if you Google Honda Walk Away Auto Lock you get hits from other forums says they experiencing same issue. I've tried slamming the trunk and hood doors too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had about the same problems, I turned it off. Talked with dealer, they came out and turned it back on and it has worked like a charm ever since. The one big problem I have is when I put the remote even close to my cell phone it will act the same way you are talking about. I have to keep it as far as possible from the cell phone. I always walk away very slow till I hear one beep, then few more steps. Then I hear another, LOCKED! I've laid the remote in house, and go back out to check a few times. So far so good! Hope this helped. I have a 17 RTL-E and love it!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nope; still one beep confirming its activated and no other beep to indicate its locked. I have to hit the lock button on the FOB to lock the vehicle. Apparently this is a known issue - if you Google Honda Walk Away Auto Lock you get hits from other forums says they experiencing same issue. I've tried slamming the trunk and hood doors too.
Yours is confusing as it's the first I've seen where you get the single beep 'ready to lock' confirmation, then nothing. Every complaint I've seen is the multi-beep 'won't lock' signal. What is you touch the button on your door handle? Does it lock? Does it lock then unlock? Wondering if there is something with the back of handle sensor that unlocks the door. If something is wrong there the door wouldn't lock, which is why I ask about using the door handle button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yours is confusing as it's the first I've seen where you get the single beep 'ready to lock' confirmation, then nothing. Every complaint I've seen is the multi-beep 'won't lock' signal. What is you touch the button on your door handle? Does it lock? Does it lock then unlock? Wondering if there is something with the back of handle sensor that unlocks the door. If something is wrong there the door wouldn't lock, which is why I ask about using the door handle button.

OK, here is how mine works. Wife just wanted something in truck so went out and got it for her.
I grabbed the door handle, chirp, I opened the door.
I closed the door, (1) chirp. This is where I would et several chirps, (if something was wrong). ie.....another door open or key fob beside cell phone.....ETC. This trip to garage I let cell phone in house. Just this trip do this test.
After I got (1) chirp after closing door I walked towards house to come inside. By the time I got to tail gate or a little farther. I hear another chirp. LOCKED! If I go back out, with out keys in pocket. LOCKED.......
Last week I stopped by a store to pick up items, and put phone in same pocket as keys, that is when I get FAST chirps and I know it will not lock. I moved the key FOB to another pocket, on other side of my body. Open drivers door and close it. (1) Chirp .....walked away. (1) chirp only....LOCKED!
I have done it this way for several years now, no problems. But I always wait for single chirp before I walk too far away. I know then the (second chirp), as I walk away (chirp) it's locked.
I have never touched the grey button on the door handle, either side. I never get out FOB anymore.
I also change the battery in key FOB eveyear when I get a oil change. Yea, once a year. My 2017 only has 14000 miles on it. For medical reason I do not drive a lot. It only takes few seconds to change the FOB battery.
I might suggest your turn it off, for a few days. Then go into settings and turn it on.
I also seen you from Canada??? They may have different settings?? Not sure why??
I hope this helps, you might swing by dealer and ask for help if your still having problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, here is how mine works. Wife just wanted something in truck so went out and got it for her.
I grabbed the door handle, chirp, I opened the door.
I closed the door, (1) chirp. This is where I would et several chirps, (if something was wrong). ie.....another door open or key fob beside cell phone.....ETC. This trip to garage I let cell phone in house. Just this trip do this test.
After I got (1) chirp after closing door I walked towards house to come inside. By the time I got to tail gate or a little farther. I hear another chirp. LOCKED! If I go back out, with out keys in pocket. LOCKED.......
Last week I stopped by a store to pick up items, and put phone in same pocket as keys, that is when I get FAST chirps and I know it will not lock. I moved the key FOB to another pocket, on other side of my body. Open drivers door and close it. (1) Chirp .....walked away. (1) chirp only....LOCKED!
I have done it this way for several years now, no problems. But I always wait for single chirp before I walk too far away. I know then the (second chirp), as I walk away (chirp) it's locked.
I have never touched the grey button on the door handle, either side. I never get out FOB anymore.
I also change the battery in key FOB eveyear when I get a oil change. Yea, once a year. My 2017 only has 14000 miles on it. For medical reason I do not drive a lot. It only takes few seconds to change the FOB battery.
I might suggest your turn it off, for a few days. Then go into settings and turn it on.
I also seen you from Canada??? They may have different settings?? Not sure why??
I hope this helps, you might swing by dealer and ask for help if your still having problems.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried slamming all doors and hood. And I don't have the cell anywhere near the FOB. Still only one beep anywhere I stand from it. Go back to door without FOB and it opens. Looks like a trip to the dealer is next move. Hope fac warranty covers it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried slamming all doors and hood. And I don't have the cell anywhere near the FOB. Still only one beep anywhere I stand from it. Go back to door without FOB and it opens. Looks like a trip to the dealer is next move. Hope fac warranty covers it.
Sounds like it. The dealer I go to has 1 person who understands all that type of stuff. Most salesmen don't.
You might just go to service dept and ask if they have such a person. I have ask this type of questions, they send me to the one fellow who seems to know about all of that kind of things. Good luck, keep me informed. It is very use full once you get it to work right! Would never trade by Ridgeline for anything!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The one beep indicates the truck recognizes the doors are closed and the fob is still in the zone, ready to lock when you walk away. You did say you can lock it with the fob (buttons) when you are away from the truck, but you didn't answer my question as to whether you can lock it by pushing the button on the door handle with the fob 'within zone'.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts