Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 Ridgeline AWD and used it for the first time to launch my boat this weekend in my shallow lakeshore as I've done for 20 years with my Mercedes ML320, Jeep Cherokee, old Ford Explorer, etc.
However, the Ridgeline leaked water from the bottom of the truck to to carpet and soaked it wall to wall. Not through the door gaskets but from elsewhere (under I assume). Never had this issue with other vehicles before and it isn't from the sunroof as we've had no rain. Called the dealer and they want to look at it but it renders the vehicle semi-useless to me if I can't use it for it's intended purpose. Thoughts?? I've had the ML320 deep enough to be half way up the doors with no issue... Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Well that sucks. Let us know what they find out as I'm curious as to where the water came up through. I've never dipped any of my vehicles so don't have any useful thoughts to add.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I hope this isn’t common. I won’t use the boat dock until March/April but I’d like to know.

Best of luck getting it repaired. That’s very alarming.

·
Registered
903 Posts
If you start looking there's a lot of grommets & plugs in penetrations to the cabin (links to the parts fiche pages showing locations) :
Perhaps one or more not properly seated or through-harnesses not adequately sealed?

Many vehicles have a 'flapper valve' somewhere in the cabin intended to allow air to escape when the (last) door is shut; not sure where that's located if it indeed exists in our RLs, but if it does perhaps another problem area.

Yeah, all vehicles have those harness penetrations, grommets, and vents - not suggesting that's a design flaw or an excuse, as you say most manage to stay dry in spite of that, but maybe there's an associated assembly issue with yours.

Good Luck finding and fixing, soaked carpet & pad sux for sure.

It'd be a real bummer if you have to experiment with a more measured 'dunking' at the boat ramp, watching for first occurrence of wet carpet, just to find the problem :cry:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sounds like you had the truck backed in way too deep (likely sucked water in through the depressurization vents at the lower back of the cab). You shouldn't need to get water over the rear axles unless you have a really bad ramp or a poorly-designed trailer.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
When you say wall to wall does that mean the front also. Whats the degree or angle of that launch. Did you get out and launch the boat, if so how deep was it when you got out. Without seeing water in the rear of the cab I wonder how it could wick up so far. Bummer, many will be watching this and waiting for more info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 Ridgeline AWD and used it for the first time to launch my boat this weekend in my shallow lakeshore as I've done for 20 years with my Mercedes ML320, Jeep Cherokee, old Ford Explorer, etc.
However, the Ridgeline leaked water from the bottom of the truck to to carpet and soaked it wall to wall. Not through the door gaskets but from elsewhere (under I assume). Never had this issue with other vehicles before and it isn't from the sunroof as we've had no rain. Called the dealer and they want to look at it but it renders the vehicle semi-useless to me if I can't use it for it's intended purpose. Thoughts?? I've had the ML320 deep enough to be half way up the doors with no issue... Thanks for any thoughts.
First off, props to your ML320 for being submerged "half way up the doors" with no issues.
But that is an insane way to treat any type of vehicle, and you should never expect them to operate properly in those conditions.

Secondly, I'm struggling to understand how the cab area of your truck is even remotely close to the water when launching a boat.
I assume you are not using a traditional boat launch ramp, as the bed of the truck would be under several feet of water before the water line even reached the cab.

It sounds like you are launching in an extremely flat (nearly horizontal) area where you are putting all 4 tires in the water, and backing deep enough for the water to submerge the undercarriage. If so, the only thing you can do is increase your truck's ground clearance. Install a lift kit and put on larger diameter tires.

·
Registered
171 Posts

someone on here had pictures when they were getting the rear harness replaced (I believe that was the thread) and it showed vents in the back of the cab. Have to be pretty deep to get water in those vents.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yeah, there's a depressurization vent with a flap at the base of the rear of the cab. Someone posted pics of theirs 'cuz it hadn't been installed correctly on this forum. What the hell are you doing backing the truck, cab deep into a lake? Pretty sure submarine isn't referenced as the truck's intended purpose. Having removed four seats and part of the center console to dry the carpet and pad myself, I'm guessing you're gonna get a decent bill from the dealer.

So many questions....is the trunk airtight? Did if create positive floatation? Did you leave the tailgate down to let water escape more easily. How much rust did your Mercedes/Jeep/Explorer have when you sold them? I dipped a Toyota in Tampa Bay. A few years later the shocks fell off, the seatbelt pulled out of the floor, etc. etc. Yeah, it was saltwater, but...

·
Registered
371 Posts
You might want to think about an "extending tongue" boat trailer. It almost doubles the length of the trailer. You keep it retracted until launch. I had one for a 22' sailboat with a 4' winged keel. It was a factory option. Seemed to be pretty normal in the sailboat world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts