Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 70 now with a left arm that barely works so no way am I doing my own oil changes anymore. Do any of you use Walmart for your oil changes or should I go to my dealership which is in another town to get it done?
I used Walmart on my last truck a Chevy Silverado for 11 years trouble free but don't know about using them for my 2018 Sport AWD RL.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,813 Posts
IMO you can find both 'good' and 'bad' services at either. Issues like stripped fill-plugs, broken / stripped / missing belly-pan fasteners, etc has more to do with the specific techs doing the job and to some extent the management / training style under which they operate at a specific location, more than the national chain name that happens to be on the facility. IME any 'brand' service provider is capable of the full gamut within the various locations in their 'chain', there's little basis for reliable correlation to the 'brand' on the sign above the shop alone.

If you find a particular service provider location that seems to give you consistent good service, I'd run with 'em, regardless of the name on the sign. There's no shortage of both good and bad experience anecdotes with Honda Dealers, so no reason to expect that going to a dealer will assure good service in-and-of-itself.

Noting that none of this touches on the quality of products used in the service, that's a totally separate matter from the labor component of service, and may be able to be managed separately (e.g. provide your own products).

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am 70 now with a left arm that barely works so no way am I doing my own oil changes anymore. Do any of you use Walmart for your oil changes or should I go to my dealership which is in another town to get it done?
I used Walmart on my last truck a Chevy Silverado for 11 years trouble free but don't know about using them for my 2018 Sport AWD RL.
I started going to the dealer because their coupons make it cheaper, plus they wash my Ridgeline. I used to go to a local Havoline oil and lube 10 minute change, but their prices are high.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
394 Posts
For what it's worth.
I never ever, wouldn't even think about going to the dealer for an oil change because of the cost. Then I bought my first Ridgeline and the Honda dealer offers very reasonable oil changes, better than any other place by about half the cost.

They do it, of course to get you in the habit of going there for all your auto needs, but they charge an arm an a leg for a lot of stuff, so the oil change is a lost leader. Which is fine by me. So now I get my oil changes at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
My son worked in the auto center of our local Walmart. As normal, they have good techs and poor techs, but most of it boils down to the managers. They want the oil changed fast, so they make the techs put the drain plug back on before most of the oil is drained. That is wrong.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started going to the dealer because their coupons make it cheaper, plus they wash my Ridgeline. I used to go to a local Havoline oil and lube 10 minute change, but their prices are high.
Where do you find a dealer coupon? I have never seen one for a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Robert,
Fortunately, I’m still in good health/physical condition and do all of my own servicing of everything. However, my 2017 RTL-E has been to my closest dealer numerous times in its first year , Jonesboro Honda (Arkansas) but not where I bought it , for multiple warrenty items, recalls etc. Early in life I was a Volvo mechanic (in the 60s) and left due to not being allowed to do the quality of work I wanted to do. I could rebuild Stromberg Carbs (225s) in 20 minutes with <$25s of parts as good as new. However, the dealership wanted new carbs sold for $$$ and the techs got 10% of all parts they replaced. I do ALL of my own work!!
Back to Honda, I’ve been very impressed with the work done at the Honda dealership in Jonesboro. Each dealership is different! Computer reprogram - 2x, infotainment center reprogramming, entire wiring harness for back up camera, new fuel injectors, new catalytic converters . All was apparently well done.
I’ve routinely gotten service reminders from the selling dealership and this dealership with coupons. I bet just going to or emailing/calling the service dept would get you on their list.
Steve

Reactions: robertyb

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,899 Posts
I would echo some of the pointers here. Dealership more than Walmart. I have used walmart to balance tires and they were fine.
My dad also used Walmart to install tires and they cracked his TPMS in a wheel and sent him on his way leaking. It was too late (3 days) when my dad told me about this and I ended up taking it to my local repair shop to replace it with a sensor I bought online. The cracked sensor was cracked on the body and the seals ripped. Also the lug nuts were torqued so high, that I could not remove three out of 4 without excessive force.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On the Dealers website under Service, also they email me coupons. It's out of my way to go there and sometimes takes longer than I'd like, but free refreshments, free car wash, and some pretty nice people.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Sorry about your arm issues. Any local family businesses a possibility? If not, I'd say Walmart because you know what brand, grade of oil and filter you are getting. I don't think it's always disclosed what brand the dealer's bulk oil is.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went to my dealer's website and under Service it does have a Coupon sub-site but there are no coupons listed in it at all. Only a statement that says pick the coupon and print it out. :)
I am way over a year since my last oil change but my MM still shows me at 30% so it will be a while.

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
241 Posts
I take mine to my local garage. Been going there for 20+ years. I bring my own oil and filter (they have stupid high markup on those) and have them do it. $25.00 (US) out the door. And they lube any grease fittings. And they're 5 blocks from my house.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like everything, there's good and bad. It all depend on the person.

I used to go to Walmart for my oil changes. It was simple to drop it off, do my shopping, and even if I had to wait a bit, I'm a Walmart so I can look around in AC comfort.

I stop going for one reason. Back then I had a 6speed manual Nissan. You had to lift the ring to shift into Reverse. I cringe when I saw the Tech could not get the car into reverse gear and was trying to slam it harder and harder. I can see the hand motions. I had to run out there. I almost wanted to just say GTFO of my car (but didn't), and just told him how to shift it.

I never went back to Walmart. This was 20 years ago.

I understand that was just him, not knowing how.

Prior to that, been going to Walmart of my oil changes on my automatic cars and even manual cars (5sped without the lockout feature.) for 10+ years. No issue, and was happy with the price, service, work, etc.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention crush washers yet. If you go to Walmart, make sure they put on a new crush washer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't see anyone mention crush washers yet. If you go to Walmart, make sure they put on a new crush washer.
One reason I was asking. I was hoping to get some answers from people using Walmart for their oil changes currently.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went to Walmart for windshield wiper blade replacements and the guy at the automotive service desk insisted on installing them. Since it was raining I was happy to let him do his job. All went well. If they do oil changes with that kind of enthusiasm then likely you'd be satisfied.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dealer vs Walmart. All else equal, I’d trust Honda more; however, I think there can be tremendous variance In techs, stores, dealerships. I know one service tech at a nearby Walmart who is very meticulous.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well I went to my dealer's website and under Service it does have a Coupon sub-site but there are no coupons listed in it at all. Only a statement that says pick the coupon and print it out. :)
I am way over a year since my last oil change but my MM still shows me at 30% so it will be a while.
My local stealerships will match competitors coupon too. That includes other Honda or other oil change places near them too.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,399 Posts
As others have said, you can find good and bad techs anywhere. My suggestion would be to use a small local shop. Chances are the guys that do the work are the same guys that know how to R&R an engine or transmission, and not some minimum wage guy just learning the trade.

I've had a dealer shop leave the oil fill cap off before. So a dealer is no guarantee of quality of service.

Reactions: robertyb
1 - 20 of 29 Posts