Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dealer vs Walmart. All else equal, I’d trust Honda more; however, I think there can be tremendous variance In techs, stores, dealerships. I know one service tech at a nearby Walmart who is very meticulous.
What's up Steve. Did not realize you were a member here. :)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
If the dealer has a dedicated oil change beside the check in - it probably has a high school dropout changing the oil.
If it goes into the shop for other work - it may or may not have a real mechanic to the oil change.

Me - I do it myself or I make friends with a Honda Mechanic - take them out to lunch ( mine likes Quiznos ) and buy them lunch, you would be surprised at the much better service you get. Many are happy to get work outside business hours to do things like tune-ups, shocks/struts, drive train fluids changes. They make twice what they get at the dealer and you spend 1/3 as much.

As for Walmart- many have great service departments and some not so good. Meet the service department manager and see how long he has been there - if the department is good, he will have been there at least 15 years - even if it is a newer store, he could have transfered from a different supercenter.

If you get great service - do not forget to compliment the mechanic and tell his manager. They do remember things like that.

I learned a trick back in the 70's when I bought my first new car. I along with 10 others were waiting for service to be done. A gentleman driving an older Lincoln came in and within 15 minutes - they said he was done. I watched as he exited the waiting room. He stuck a $10.00 bill into the service writers hand and a $20.00 into the mechanics hand. Best $30.00 spent. I do the same today - It really pays off - they remember you.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you ever plan to sell, get it done at the dealer and save it. Always best to sell private party (to me) versus trade in. I can always beat the tax credit. And I always get top dollar as I maintain my vehicles well and have all maintenance paperwork. If you don't care and will trade in, go to Walmart and save the paperwork.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I learned a trick back in the 70's when I bought my first new car. I along with 10 others were waiting for service to be done. A gentleman driving an older Lincoln came in and within 15 minutes - they said he was done. I watched as he exited the waiting room. He stuck a $10.00 bill into the service writers hand and a $20.00 into the mechanics hand. Best $30.00 spent. I do the same today - It really pays off - they remember you.
I often tip the Service Dept shuttle driver for taking me and pick me up. They are minimum wage "service" employees.

I'm not sure Senior Master Tech II need to be tipped for doing their job.

Not discouraging you or anyone from "rewarding" good service. Or for them to start expecting a tip for something that is part of their job.

There has been two times I received above and beyond service at the dealership service dept. I wrote a letter to the General Manager.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I always tip service people in retail food establishments at least 20% as they get the short end of the stick with the minimum wage laws allowing the chicken schit tip credit to keep wages low and vender profits up. No tip credit for minimum wage workers outside of the retail food service industry that I am aware of. Back in the '60s & '70s, I remember being able to live on minimum wage of $2.65/hour. But I did have a much lower standard of living and no such mandatory stuff like smartphones, computers, cable TV, and $40k pickups. A modest two BD, one bath house that sold for $25k back in the middle '70s now goes for $325K in the housing market I live in now.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used to bring my wife's Pilot back to the selling dealer in a local "Ivy League" town (Hint, hint) for my free lifetime oil changes. They started out OK. As the years rolled by the service got slower and slower and weirder. It was getting beyond 2 hours waiting time before they would come out to "talk" to you about what your car needed. (an oil change remember) I'm used to up-selling but these guys would take things apart to show you and then I would break their hearts by refusing the up-service. Always due to the price.
Here are some examples:
$125.00 to change an air filter (more about this later).
$175.00 to change a cabin air filter (I timed it - it takes 15 seconds).
$150.00 to change the rear-differential fluid. (you are already under the car doing the oil change)
$9.00 for tire rotation?? I hate rotating tires! Go for it!

Once I let them rotate the tires. Bad idea. They cocked the tire on the hub or something and the tire wobbled all the way home. I took it off and put it back on and it was OK. Go figure. I'm back doing tire rotations. I'm too old for this $hit.

Later I replaced the air filter and found they had broken 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the air filter assembly together. The one good bolt was loose. It had been that way for about 2000 miles. I think the air filter was in upside down too. I replaced the bolts with items from Ace Hardware.

I never brought them the car again. Nor will I buy a car from them.
I did test drive a Ridgeline there because they have nice salespersons but I bought it elsewhere.

I'll never again use the Honda dealer in my own town (that has a Broadway play named after it) because they video tape you during the financial fisticuffs allegedly "for your protection". And then they only have one set of keys so you'll have to come back in a few days when they find they other set. I mean if they find them. I own a house in town, I left a trade-in and I have a higher credit rating than the BVM.
I do buy Techron from Wally World where I note it's a smaller bottle but for way less money than the local "boutique" auto parts store. At my auto parts store I always have to wait for the girl because the guys there don't know what "Plastigage" is or where it is or how to order it. She does. But it still feels wrong.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
A few weeks ago I took my wife's CRV in for a state inspection ONLY to Jiffy Lube.. The call me back to the upsell area and show me the air filter, WTF? Perfect opportunity for them to break the clips. I always go there so I guess they've been doing this all along. They also checked the cabin filter but said it was brand new which it was. I didn't sign anything so what gives them the right to mess with my car? Perhaps next time I'll have a brand new air filter and cabin filter sitting in the passenger seat.:censored:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I stop going the Jiffy Lube this one incident where I knew they were going to ask and show me the engine air filter. I've always said "no" in the past. To avoid that conversation, I replaced the air filter the morning before I took the car in. I saw him walk in the waiting room with my clean filter, then wipe his dirty hand on it 10 feet before he reached me (because it was clean). And had the nerve to ask if I want to replace it..

This was just one time, one shop. Never went back...

·
Registered
24 Posts
21 - 29 of 29 Posts