Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting ready to change OIL/FILTER on a Ridgeline 2019 (6000 miles)
So I ordered a W 0-20 Mobil one and found Walmart selling again a SuperTech filter ST6607 for $3... and I needed a filler to get free shipping; so I ordered that filter, which has different number from the old one: ST6607.
it claims 99% Efficiency Rating.

Anybody used this before ?

·
Registered
974 Posts
On the filter question, they are decent filters (still made by Champion Labs I believe). Overall, a better constructed filter than the Honda OEM A02 aka Honeywell aka Fram. I like to use the Honda OEM A01 filters made by Filtech as they are a much better built filter than the A02 and many aftermarket filters.

I put my last A01 on my 2020 just about 2 weeks ago...I personally lean towards using the K&N PS-series (black color) filter when the A01s aren't available. This is another Champion Labs product but very stout with a lot of high grade filter media.

They are usually reasonable although more than $3. I scored a bunch of SuperTech closeouts I use on my mom's 2009 Elantra for 75 cents. This was the white colored SuperTech before they went to the blue color you show.

You have the right part# for SuperTech.

Here is the K&N option for future reference:
K&N PS-1010

·
Registered
433 Posts
You can get a $10 rebate gift card from Mobil 1 for your 5 qt jug.

The program does not list 0W-20 specifically, but it does state Mobil 1™ Advanced Fuel Economy which is what you purchased for the Ridgeline.

You can create an account and submit online. You will get your $10 VISA card in 3 or 4 weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get a $10 rebate gift card from Mobil 1 for your 5 qt jug.

The program does not list 0W-20 specifically, but it does state Mobil 1™ Advanced Fuel Economy which is what you purchased for the Ridgeline.

You can create an account and submit online. You will get your $10 VISA card in 3 or 4 weeks.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I purchased a few of those thinking I would use them on an older CRV that we sold last year so I threw it on my 14 Accord. It's a smaller filter than the A01's that I traditionally used but since the A01's are discontinued now I guess that they will be sufficient when compared to the A02.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would I want to replace the ST6607 Super Tech ... and pay double/triple the price?

""
SUPERTECH ST6607 - Alternative oil filters
There are 172 replacement oil filters for SUPERTECH ST6607. The cross references are for general reference only, please check for correct specifications and measurements for your application.

• SUPERTECH ST6607 replacement filters""

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Why would I want to replace the ST6607 Super Tech ... and pay double/triple the price?
To take this a step further, I would really like for somebody to show me hard impartial data where using more expensive oil and filter actually increases engine life significantly over using a less expensive oil & filter?

Bill

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,921 Posts
In all honesty. Use whatever filter you like. The difference among filter brands for the same application, is not drastic enough to hurt your vehicle if you perform your maintenance regularly.
Rather than debate of filters, lets know that it is similar to the debate of engine oil; use whatever as they are all pretty much good to use for daily driving.

Just an FYI, I keep an eye on Amazon for filter prices and I have recently picked up K&N PS-1010 for $3.03 each (bought 5) and Bosch 3323 Premium Filtech for $3.71 each (bought 4). I use my Amazon CC rewards to stack on oil filters and engine oil; have 6 more filters and 3 5qt jugs in the garage and both of my vehicles use the same filters. Heck, if you go to RockAuto right now, you can pick up an AcDelco PF2057 for $2.70 and a Pro-Tec 736 for $1.97.

Dont over think it.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts

""
SUPERTECH ST6607 - Alternative oil filters
There are 172 replacement oil filters for SUPERTECH ST6607. The cross references are for general reference only, please check for correct specifications and measurements for your application.

• SUPERTECH ST6607 replacement filters""
I thought you were questioning if the ST6607 filter was the correct one. So I posted the cross-reference chart. I don't have any issues with the Super Tech filter and will strongly consider one when I exhaust my supply of A01 filters. I only have three A01 filters left from a purchase of 12 over 10 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,474 Posts
To take this a step further, I would really like for somebody to show me hard impartial data where using more expensive oil and filter actually increases engine life significantly over using a less expensive oil & filter?

Bill
While i agree that oil works like oil in a vehicle (as long as the specs from the owners manual are met by the oil used), I feel that in some cases it's entirely possible that a cheaper oil may not have the detergent levels needed for some engines. For example, I was using Walmarts Supertech oil regularly in my previous cars. But, when i used that same oil (using the same interval changes as previously) I found I was having trouble with the fine screens getting clogged up on the VVT circuit solenoids. After flushing the a flush compound (not GM recommended but mechanic and others who've done it recommended) and then using the Quaker State Green bottle Synthetic (DEXos of course) that I no longer (also having changed one of the VVT solenoids) have had any more of the "hesitation" and "stumbles" from that engine. Upon further review, I've found others who have had issues and all of us really believed our problems were transmission related but in reality due to similar symptoms and applications (SRX 3.6 engine) we all have VVT issues. You just can't tell by guessing. But, back to the oil. See I'm sure that the oil in one car works fine (Super tech from Walmart) as I've used it for years and years in other vehicles without a single issue. But there's going to be times it's not accurate.

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's the first I've heard of problems with supertech in a vehicle. Were you using the recommended weight? That failure mode is interesting. I wouldn't expect that to be a problem with an oil that met the specs that the manufacturer recommended. But of course there are exceptions to every rule.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am getting ready to change OIL/FILTER on a Ridgeline 2019 (6000 miles)
So I ordered a W 0-20 Mobil one and found Walmart selling again a SuperTech filter ST6607 for $3... and I needed a filler to get free shipping; so I ordered that filter, which has different number from the old one: ST6607.
it claims 99% Efficiency Rating.

Anybody used this before ?

View attachment 404045
Always follow the recommended schedule of service while vehicle is still under warranty unless you want to fight a battle on warranty work. I not only do it when it's due and recommended, but I pay a little more to have the dealership do it "While it is under warranty", therefore if there are any warranty issues, there is no fight. My son is a mechanic at a Nissan dealership, and he has seen the dealer fight with people who could not prove that maintenance was done timely and properly. Once it is out of warranty, do what you want. I know that I will be doing my own oil changes at that point.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Good read

For those who remember, Csimo (Joe) once suggested replacing oil filter in between engine oil changes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts