Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Interesting! At the bottom under "Service History" it says "No Known Mechanical Problems"!

Looks like a pretty severe hit, with no blood or broken glass. That 5 Star crash stuff is for real. Hope everyone involved is OK.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, no kidding. Depending on what you can get this for, It may be a good deal. However, how and why would this shop have ownership of it? Did the insurance company " Total" it or what? Wierd

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ouch! It hurts to even look at that. I've got the Red RL too. Since it's on ebay, I wonder if the insurance company totalled it. I heard a lot of Hondas get totalled because they do have so much expensive safety equipment in them. The cost to replace quickly becomes prohibitive. Expensive, but it sure beats meeting your windshield or other impact areas head on! This one is so new though, it's hard to imagine it being totalled.

L

·
0 Posts
It may have been purchased cash and the dealer bought it from the owner. I've seen that happen many times.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Very impressive body integrity.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
My guess - $16K

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is a silly question but I'll ask it anyways. Why would anyone want to spend (the assumed amount of) $16K for a wrecked car. Yes, a lot of it is new, and yes, it is an RTL, but I just don't see the point of spending that much money on a wreck, and then repairing it (which I assume would cost another 5-10K based on the damage I saw). I just don't get it... maybe someone can enlighten me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
methodtim said:
This is a silly question but I'll ask it anyways. Why would anyone want to spend (the assumed amount of) $16K for a wrecked car. Yes, a lot of it is new, and yes, it is an RTL, but I just don't see the point of spending that much money on a wreck, and then repairing it (which I assume would cost another 5-10K based on the damage I saw). I just don't get it... maybe someone can enlighten me.

Because say you get this thing for $15k, and it costs 8k to fix(probably less if you have access to cheap labor), you will have a low mile RTL with S/R and navi for <= $23k.

There are a lot of people out there that do this. A guy I used to work with goes out to auctions and buy wrecked BMW's all the time, fixes them up, drive them or sell them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
shingles said:
Because say you get this thing for $15k, and it costs 8k to fix(probably less if you have access to cheap labor), you will have a low mile RTL with S/R and navi for <= $23k.

There are a lot of people out there that do this. A guy I used to work with goes out to auctions and buy wrecked BMW's all the time, fixes them up, drive them or sell them.
That's still $23K at a minimum, and now you have a car that's been in one hell of a wreck. Not to disparage your friend, but anyone who does that and resells the car without first telling the new owner that it's been in a total wreck is disingenuous to me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I never said that he didn't disclose the fact that they've been wrecked. You assumed it. He has access to a body shop which does work for him cheaply. He fixes the car, sales it as a car that's been repaired, makes a small profit.

Some people don't really car that a car's been in a wreck. They get a car that they would other wise not be able to afford.

·
Registered
311 Posts
shingles said:
I never said that he didn't disclose the fact that they've been wrecked. You assumed it. He has access to a body shop which does work for him cheaply. He fixes the car, sales it as a car that's been repaired, makes a small profit.

Some people don't really car that a car's been in a wreck. They get a car that they would other wise not be able to afford.
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to assume anything, but I guess I didn't convey that properly in my post. As for your point on getting a car someone wouldn't otherwise be able to afford, let's do some math here. Let's assume (yikes, there I go again, but oh well) for the sake of argument, that the bidding on this RL will end at 16K. Let's also assume that it will cost 8K to fix the thing once you buy it. That's 24K for the wrecked TRL that retails for around 30K. My question is that who would put that much money into this purchase when buying a new one outright would only cost 6K more?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The people that are buying these are dealers. My guess is that will take less than $4K to fix at their cost. If they're getting it for $16K, then the return on investment is at least $5K. Easy money, plus a nice draw on the lot.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I checked out the parts for the front end, looks like the parts can be had for < $1000 "our price". like shovelhd said, if dealers bought these, they are probably getting it for less. So it'd probably would only cost $4k to fix.

But seriously, there are a lot of people out there where $6k makes or breaks a deal on a car.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Oh Man!! I can't even look at this RL for very long! Yikes!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts