Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love the ridge. It looks so much better with the optional roof rack. However, if you want it you need to take into account that it creates wind noise. I initially got mine w/o the roof rack, thus I was used to the quiet interior. I added the rack and I now have a mild swooshing sound in the cab. To install the rack they have to cut the metal black strips that line the sides of the cab so there is no real way of removing the rack without ordering replacements. Just so you know. :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
RCU is correct. I too had the truck before the rack. After install, there is an increase in wind noise but not to the degree that I regret installing the rack. Also be aware that if you have the sunroof accessory deflector, it is not recommended that you install the roof rack...not sure why. :cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
While some noise (at higher speeds) now and then is to be expected after adding a roof rack, the fact is that seals have noticable gaps in them around the windshield, and particularly around the passenger top side since more than one of us has had the same gap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bummer about the wind noise.
Agree the Ridge looks cooler with the racks.
Have had my Ridge w/ sunroof for a week and love the driving experience - sound system w/ XM is great and the truck is as quiet as my Acura MDX or my Audi A6. The quiet factor is a huge plus for me. I bought the truck for the driving experience and not for the looks.
Frankly, I'm still trying to adjust to the styling - Racks do add some coolness. I'm still trying to decide if the racks are worth the extra noise.

Would like to hear more opinions on this.

The is
is the was
of what shall be... :cool:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hey Slim, here's a suggestion. If your local dealer has an RL with roof rack, you could take it for a test drive and listen to the noise yourself. I drove from Sac to Tahoe last weekend and the noise did not bother me at all. The "extra" noise from the rack, in my opinion, is not bad at all. :cool:

L

·
0 Posts
I have the roof rack. Bought it with them already installed. I have 4,350 miles on my 'Line and I don't hear the wind, what little I do hear, unless I turn off the radio. WHY would I do a silly thing like THAT????!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also keep in mind that typically adding a roof rack means sacrificing 2-3 MPG. Something to consider if you do a lot of highway driving. Perhaps those who have driven ther RL without the rack then added it later could comment regarding fuel economy.

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have the RR on my RL and I have been getting 18 city and 20 hwy so I don't think the RR makes as big a difference as the amount of lead in a person's foot.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I agree with the above post, I have not noticed any changes with my mileage since installing the roof rack...I mainly do city driving so maybe that is why I don't notice any difference. :cool:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have 4,350 miles on my 'Line and I don't hear the wind, what little I do hear, unless I turn off the radio.
No kidding, I just had one put on after driving w/o for a week or so and I don't think the difference is worth mentioning. But then I am not a truck-a-holic that obsesses on every little fine point. Some on these forums clearly are.

Both the radio at normal volume settings and the fan at anything over 2 are much noisier.

Even with both the radio and fan off, and with the rack, it is still quieter than the 03 Tundra (no rack) it replaced.

My .02, if you like the rack, get the rack. It does look nicer, especially on a silver truck....

·
Registered
68 Posts
hey guys/gals my wife wanted me to add this comment.:D

THIS IS A TRUCK. If you dont like wind noise, you should have bought a car.
She said complainng about wind noise makes as much sense as some who just bought a motorcycle and is complaing about wind noise.:eek:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
couldn't you adjust the cross bars? Like the VW toureg, you can adjust it so it looks and acts like roof spoiler? Would that cut down on the swooshing sound and put it torwards the rear end of the cabin?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't know where somebody would come up with a 2 to 3 mpg decrease from a roof rack. What evidence exists for this notion? The amount of resistance the rack would incur would be very miniscule. At a very high speed and over long distances some very minor decrease MAY be noticed....but I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My logic goes like this -- I love the Ridgeline even more with the roof rack...wind noise? I don't have no stinkin' wind noise! As posted above, the radio and the fan make more noise than my roof rack at any speed!

The Ridgeline needs a roof rack...if you don't have one, get one!

I'm obsessing right now because I lent my Ridgeline to my son so he could take some stuff to his place. He won't be back until tomorrow and all I can think of is all the stuff I want to haul but can't because, well, I don't have my Ridgeline :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think anyone buying a vehicle with anything sticking out, up, down into the windstream is going to hear some noises. I knew going in the rack would produce new noises. Geez, some of these posts regarding the Ridgeline are the most minor things that most people accept when they buy a vehicle. I still have one of the quietest trucks on the market regardless of what's sticking out in the wind. Thanks Honda!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts