Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is recommended for this? My RT has no rails.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Until someone comes out with an aftermarket rack (vantech?), you will have to build your own and/or use a bed extender.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I needed something for a 17' canoe. There's a lot of solutions, but this was inexpensive and works for me.

I couldn't commit to roof rails so I picked up a used Thule removable rack ($75) and cut the 480 feet to fit rather than buying a new fit kit. Make sure you get 58" minimum or 65" cross bars. I got some paint protective film and applied 6" squares where the feet and clamps will contact the vehicle (ebay $6). I also found an Ebayer (tripsforkids) blowing out some Thule stuff and got an outrigger II for $25 (telescoping from the crossbar to make loading easier) and four side stops for $25.

It looks like there's only one attachment point to the frame in the front for a ratcheting tie down to the bow, but two in the rear to tie down the stern.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
This wonderful investment can be used for a multitude of activities and a lifetime of use (just don't go too small):

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
This wonderful investment can be used for a multitude of activities and a lifetime of use (just don't go too small):
I'm considering this as well. I will need to haul 2 12' Kayaks and an 11' SUP.

Any thoughts on how you would secure them to this trailer? Any thoughts on how or where is a good place to get a reasonable price on a trailer like that? I assume you would cover it with a tarp if it had to be stored outside?

Sorry for all the questions! Just been thinking about this a lot and a trailer seems much better in the long run, usable by many different vehicles.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I use the roof rack and a swivaling rear mount. Reese Towpower Canoe Loader Hitch Load Bar - Product Image
Reese Towpower Canoe Loader Hitch Load Bar

This type of design has worked great for loading my 17 foot aluminum Grumman canoe.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 12ft paddle board and a canoe, and i just lower the tailgate and use ratchet tie downs and bungies. Works well.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Any thoughts on how you would secure them to this trailer? Any thoughts on how or where is a good place to get a reasonable price on a trailer like that? I assume you would cover it with a tarp if it had to be stored outside?

I use straps, bungie cords, ropes, whatever it takes to get the tie-down job done. You can find utility trailers everywhere but used should offer the best value. Look on bulletin boards and/or craigslist.

These guys are local to me ( trailerworldalabama ) and I picked up a special ordered trailer that the owner backed out of. 7 x 17, dual 3500# axles w/ brakes and 24 inch metal screened sides. $2200 out the door (a spare mounted tire added $125). Mine just sits (naked) in the woods until needed.

Drawbacks: everyone wants to use it, oftentimes wanting my labor as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yesterday I picked up two 12' kayaks using my new Rhino Nautic Stacker (link here: Nautic Stack - #S520 | Rhino-Rack). Worked as advertised using 4 tie down straps and took about 20 minutes to secure everything. I had to drive them 50 miles home on the highway and I had zero issues. When I got home, they were still just as snug as when the trip started.

After I got home and took both kayaks off the roof alone (which was a little scary) I laid them in the bed of the truck with the tailgate down to see what that would look like. Looks like a decent fit. Over half the kayak is inside the bed and I'm confident that I can secure them so they won't fall out. Most of the spots I plan to bring the kayaks are less than 10 miles away. In summary, for short trips, I will tie down the kayaks in the bed of the truck. For longer trips or when I need the bed for something else, I will put the kayaks on the roof.

FWIW, the kayak stacker did it's job and would probably work fine with your paddleboard. But, you may want to fit check your 12' paddleboard in the bed with the tailgate down. Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
While roof racks work those top-side items get covered with bug guts AND your fuel economy suffers; plus it imposes additional noise in the cabin and worries about snagging low hanging branches. Depending on the mass/weight it can also be quite a workout.

For those reasons I haven't carried anything on a roof in years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Purchase a "bed extender" -- 2x2 steel tube fits in trailer hitch receiver, has a T" on the end that adjust for height ... go to "etrailer" ... Well worth the money.

·
Registered
155 Posts
No problem!

Fins in first and pointing up(to sky). Tail gate up. And sort of going at an angle with tail of board on drivers side with fin up. Take a heavy duty ratchet and strap in down in the back. Then run one more ratchet strap diagonally from passenger corner to the drivers side tailgate. Put a towel under the board and between tailgate. And hang a flag off the tail to make it street legal.

I've carried two boards like this going 70 with no problem. Boards were 10'6 each.

One of those rail gait extenders might not be a bad idea but I've yet to have an issue with this technique so I'm going to pass on the bed extender.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a bed extender (in the trailer receiver) for my last truck. It worked great for our 16ft canoe.

We have a fleet of ~10 ft kayaks now and I just stack them in the Ridgeline bed with the tailgate down. I use several ropes, straps, and bungie cords to make sure the boats and paddles don't jump out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts