Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to own a SUV a few years back but eventually sold it for a sedan as it was getting old and was bad on gas. I now do a decent amount of towing and hauling plus with the harsh winter here in MN I miss the 4x4. I am in kind of a tough spot right now though because I have to borrow a tow vehicle everytime I need to tow my boat in the summer which is normally at least once a week.

I want a vehicle that can tow at least a 5000# boat trailer combo, 4wheel drive, has comfortable seating for 4-5. Can hold enough gear for a weekend at the cabin in the summer and hold skiing/snowboarding equipment in the winter. I would also like it to fit in my garage reasonably.

I liked the idea of another SUV but bottom line is I don't think it would be versatile enough. I probably couldn't fit 5 people in an SUV plus all our skies in the back. Plus I have an ATV that would be nice to carry in the bed instead of trailering.

I really like the ridgeline, the tacoma and frontier are too cramped and the interior is just too low quality. My only hold backs are the new colorado is out and seems to be similar to the ridgeline in interior quality and space which is my main reason I have been interested in the ridgeline.

My other holdback is now the the honda has stopped production it seems like it has effected the used market. If I buy a new or used ridgeline will the value suddenly drop when the new ridgeline comes out in a year? Maybe ill want one of the new ones?

I just wanted to get everyones thoughts. I want a newer truck but to be honest I see myself getting a used ridgeline maybe a just a few years old. I want to avoid paying a high sales tax and high state registration taxes new owners face the 1st several years. But I don't want to buy a used ridgeline now if I can get the same one for $2000 less in a few months when the new ones come out.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It will probably be a year at least before the new one comes out. Towing your boat, you are going to be right at the stated limit for the current RL - maybe a little over depending on how much gear and people you are carrying. As to the used RL market, that is anyone's guess. Personally, I would not expect prices to be affected all that much by the revamp.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
My thoughts are that the RL maxes out at 5K pounds. While there are those who exceed that rating you could (and should) legally be held responsible if something goes wrong.

I don't give even a thought about their residual values as these are not investments but rather tools. Use it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
My thoughts are that the RL maxes out at 5K pounds. While there are those who exceed that rating you could (and should) legally be held responsible if something goes wrong.
Not only that, but the limits are given for two passengers and limited gear. With five passengers, the limit it 4500 lbs for the trailer, and the hitch's tongue weight limit is reduced from 600 to 516 lbs. These limits are with only 15 lbs of cargo and 150 lbs average per passenger. Load the truck down more, and the rated weights of other things go down accordingly.

Now, this sounds very limiting. Two things:
  1. Other brands of trucks have similar limiting factors based on various loads, regardless of whether they are clearly documented.
  2. The Ridgeline's specified limits are very conservative and based on engineering specifications. Weight limits of many other brands appear to be guided by marketeer's fantasies, and have a long-term habit of varying by year with no engineering changes.

So, what happens when you overload the Ridgeline by a few hundred pounds (5000 lbs for the trailer, five passengers and a couple of hundred pounds of cargo)? Answer: not much. The real limits are somewhere well above the specified limits. I towed my 5000 lb boat/trailer, in the same configuration as the OP plans, a few times before reading the specs and playing it safe w.r.t. liability. I don't realistically fear real-world handling because I tested it with some simulated emergency moves while towing. I could not get it to go for the "wild ride" that one expects with a solid-axle, leaf-springed truck of similar specifications.

I don't give even a thought about their residual values as these are not investments but rather tools. Use it and enjoy it.
+1 there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went to test drive a new colorado and a new ridgeline

I was very impressed with the interior quality and the tech features on the colorado.

However with that said, I felt the ridgeline was far superior. Way more interior room in the front and back. Just had almost everything you could possibly need and it drove much better than I thought it would.

I was wondering if anyone knew the differences between years. I need/really want the backup camera for hooking up my boat. I was wondering what year and trims had them integrated.

The dealer I went to only had 1 RTL and 3 SEs left and they wanted 34K for the RTL before taxes and fees. I will probably try to find one 1-4 years old unless I get a killer deal on a RL that is newer or older than that.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well I went to test drive a new colorado and a new ridgeline

I was very impressed with the interior quality and the tech features on the colorado.

However with that said, I felt the ridgeline was far superior. Way more interior room in the front and back. Just had almost everything you could possibly need and it drove much better than I thought it would.

I was wondering if anyone knew the differences between years. I need/really want the backup camera for hooking up my boat. I was wondering what year and trims had them integrated.

The dealer I went to only had 1 RTL and 3 SEs left and they wanted 34K for the RTL before taxes and fees. I will probably try to find one 1-4 years old unless I get a killer deal on a RL that is newer or older than that.
I can't say with certainty, but I believe the early years (maybe all pre-'09) had the camera as an "accessories" option only. I know my '06 was that way.... I installed myself ...... the dealer install labor quote was ridiculously expensive. BTW, you can still do that now (get OEM accessories version) if you end up getting one that does not have it. BUT, you might be better off with an aftermarket back up camera. They are MUCH less expensive, and I believe there are some that are wireless, so installation is not as much of a hassle.... or as expensive if you are paying someone else to do it. Do a search here for more info on those who have done this.... there are some great threads on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is not a popular view here BUT, if your looking to tow 5000 pounds plus why look into a larger truck? The mileage will be terrible but the engine choices are better.
Lets face it , there is nothing better than towing well over 6500 pounds over a mountain pass and accelerating while doing it.
You can never have too much truck when towing but certainly can have too little.

The Ridgeline is great for what it is but it can not compete with a large 8 or diesel when it comes to power.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
This is not a popular view here BUT, if your looking to tow 5000 pounds plus why look into a larger truck? The mileage will be terrible but the engine choices are better.
Lets face it , there is nothing better than towing well over 6500 pounds over a mountain pass and accelerating while doing it.
You can never have too much truck when towing but certainly can have too little.

The Ridgeline is great for what it is but it can not compete with a large 8 or diesel when it comes to power.
A lot of that depends on where your comfort zone is while towing; relative to going fast AND going slow. If you're not in a hurry, you can pull a lot with very little using lower gears... at which point your concerns become more about stability and down-hill braking, and the Ridgeline has that in spades. It's not a bad thing running with the slower trucks when you're on steep mountain passes, but some people really get uncomfortable with that, and want to 'plow' through those grades.... you probably want more power if that's you. On the other hand, some people are uncomfortable driving fast with a trailer on any grade, and feel fine about going slower on the serious grades, w/o stomping on the gas.....

It takes all kinds... and you ususally know which camp you fall into. Personally, I DID enjoy the big 454 in my Suburban way back when.... and I enjoyed the rock solid footprint I had on the road with my EZ lift load stabilizing hitch. If I was doing it often with a fairly heavy load; had a place to store that big beast (I would never use as daily driver); didn't mind the fuel guzzling..... then that's the way I'd go. If I was not towing often or had a smaller load, I'd be comfortable with the Ridge & it's far better economy & utility.

My real world situation is that I have considered getting a 17 foot or smaller trailer, and would do so w/o a second thought. If I was towing regularly though with anything much larger, I'd think twice about exceeding limits (I wouldn't be splitting hairs), "just because"..... for me I have to agree with those liability exclusions.... it's not that the Ridge couldn't handle it.... and it's not that you would have a problem due to your setup with the Ridge.... it's because you would have left yourself open to the litigation-happy BoZos out there that would sue you for all you got if they had a chance (even if you were not at fault), and the insurance companies that could easily leave you stranded if you did not abide by specified limits. This may be paranoia, but why go there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts