Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a RL Black today and the finance guy was full court pressing me on the getting a warranty. I would probably get one through a third party like Mercury . . . but what is the feeling here are getting a warranty on a brand known for not breaking down? Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Black Edition (black) 18Nov21
205 Posts
This always a good debate. Completely agree, a waste of money. Unless you run into unexpected issues not covered by the new purchase warranty. Those pesky electrical issues and part replacement and cost big bucks.

This happened on a 2007 vehicle I owned for 12 years. When it had 98K miles a complete breakdown. The cost would have been over $2K to fix. All covered by the extended warranty I’d purchased for, at the time, only a couple hundred bucks.

I also just bought a 2022 BE . As I’m about to retire I know this will most likely be the last vehicle I purchase. The cost of my new vehicle, replacement parts and labor factored into the equation I opted to get the extended warranty.

I hope it was a bad investment and never have to use it. As stated above, peace of mind. That right there was worth it!

Everyone’s choice my differ by their circumstances. For me, that extra law out of cash was the right choice for me.

Gusto!

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
121 Posts
If you want an extended warranty with a Honda vehicle, then only buy HondaCare and get it from a reputable dealer online, such as Hyannis or Saccuci.
^^^THIS! Do not buy a third party warranty. Stick with HondaCare. You can buy them at a HUGE discount from Honda dealers on-line and save a boat load over what a local dealer will sell them for. I bought mine from Hyannis in the past for two of my other Honda's.

·
Administrator
20,606 Posts
One of the trouble spots in the Ridgeline is water leaks which are typically NOT covered by "extended warranties" (including Honda Care). Otherwise, the 2G Ridgeline is fairly well sorted out now that it's on its sixth model year. I'd be less inclined to purchase any "extended warranty" at this point.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
One of the trouble spots in the Ridgeline is water leaks which are typically NOT covered by "extended warranties" (including Honda Care). Otherwise, the 2G Ridgeline is fairly well sorted out now that it's on its sixth model year. I'd be less include to purchase any "extended warranty" at this point.
Where are the leaks originating from? I agree that most all issues should be sorted out. However, for someone keeping their vehicle for a long time, electronics are very expensive to deal with and for the cheap price of these warranties, it may be a solid investment.

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Circle

Reactions: Rockinvet

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Zigzagman

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
33 Posts
when we were in the business managers office. he goes into his long winded explanation for an extended warranty that "we don't make money on but is a way to keep the customer satisfied with his vehicle", i let him talk and didn't interrupt him as i kmew he is required to do his spiel. it would have been about $100 more per month.(about $4800). after he was done i said "no thanks we're good". to his credit he stopped pushing it but he was notably more brusque in his demeanor after and when i asked him to indicate on our license plate application to try getting one of the standard styles that i liked more, he brusqely replied that he stopped doing stuff like that as he got burned enough times where he requested something and the customer got something different.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
when we were in the business managers office. he goes into his long winded explanation for an extended warranty that "we don't make money on but is a way to keep the customer satisfied with his vehicle", i let him talk and didn't interrupt him as i kmew he is required to do his spiel. it would have been about $100 more per month.(about $4800). after he was done i said "no thanks we're good". to his credit he stopped pushing it but he was notably more brusque in his demeanor after and when i asked him to indicate on our license plate application to try getting one of the standard styles that i liked more, he brusqely replied that he stopped doing stuff like that as he got burned enough times where he requested something and the customer got something different.
These people are criminals and I would never give them a penny for paint protection, wheel protection, interior protection, windshield protection, extended warranties, etc. $4800 for something you can buy from Hyannis for 1/4 of the price or less.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I usually get them for my sanity. I'm ok with $1300 for about 8 years of Honda Care coverage. Last time I used HondaCARe, it covered a $4400 transmission replacement in a CRV. That's probably 4 or 5 Honda Cares right there. I would say that over the years with all of the Honda Care Policies I have purchased I'm close to even. If you're going to own long in terms of years with less than 100k miles I think there's a need there.

When buying and I'm in with the finance folks and they try to sell me I just let them know the Hyannis price and if they match I'll buy it. That's never happened, in fact my local dealer doesn't even offer Hondacare they have some third party so I politely pass.

Keep in mind there is some wiggle room so you're not always 100% covered for the non wear and tear items. Example: On my Accord I had a loose strut bolt that was a factory assembly error. HondaCare didn't cover that as it only covers failed parts not installations. If the car works but is not fully broken it's hit or miss. I once had a problem with a terrible engine noise and researched it to be a bad serpentine belt tensioner. Dealer wouldn't replace it so I asked them to on my dime and they ended up covering it through HondaCare. There were other times where they noticed a leaking steering rack and replaced it. That was $1300 right there about double what I paid for the policy back then. Overall, I think it's better to have it than not.

There are folks that say you're too poor if you can't afford a big repair, there are folks that say it's better to put than money into an account a draw on it if needed. For me, I like knowing I have a car that's paid for and don't have to worry about paying expensive repair bills until the warranty expires. Most likely, I'd be trading in when the 5/60 on the powertrain is over without Honda Care so in my mind HondaCare saves me in the long run.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
33 Posts
These people are criminals and I would never give them a penny for paint protection, wheel protection, interior protection, windshield protection, extended warranties, etc. $4800 for something you can buy from Hyannis for 1/4 of the price or less.
what bothers me is not the attempt to sell me something overpriced but the noticeable change in demeanor when i said no.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
what bothers me is not the attempt to sell me something overpriced but the noticeable change in demeanor when i said no.
I, too, am fine with the "attempt" as that is their job. However, once a NO is given, just move on and be happy I am buying a vehicle from your dealership and make the overall experience a very positive one. We are 100% on the same page.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Completely agree this is frustrating. When I got my RL a year old from an Infiniti dealer, the finance guy pushed the aftermarket warranty and I declined. I told him I would only be interested in a Honda Care and he proceeded to tell me he used to work for Honda and that Honda Care wasn't that good. If I wasn't already done with his sales pitch for add ons at that point, I definitely was after that. The finance guy is the worst person to deal with as far as pressure for me about 85% of the time. There have been a couple that were great and just asked, got a no and moved on.

As to buying Honda Care, if you are going to get it, I would recommend to wait until your bumper to bumper is almost over to buy. When you buy it when the vehicle is new, it runs concurrently with the B2B from in service date. If you got a 6 year, 100k Honda Care, you truly are only getting 3 year, 64k over the factory warranty. Waiting until close to 3 years after in service, you get the full coverage.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Completely agree this is frustrating. When I got my RL a year old from an Infiniti dealer, the finance guy pushed the aftermarket warranty and I declined. I told him I would only be interested in a Honda Care and he proceeded to tell me he used to work for Honda and that Honda Care wasn't that good. If I wasn't already done with his sales pitch for add ons at that point, I definitely was after that. The finance guy is the worst person to deal with as far as pressure for me about 85% of the time. There have been a couple that were great and just asked, got a no and moved on.

As to buying Honda Care, if you are going to get it, I would recommend to wait until your bumper to bumper is almost over to buy. When you buy it when the vehicle is new, it runs concurrently with the B2B from in service date. If you got a 6 year, 100k Honda Care, you truly are only getting 3 year, 64k over the factory warranty. Waiting until close to 3 years after in service, you get the full coverage.
You are wrong my friend. Regardless of when you buy the warranty, it begins at the vehicles IN-SERVICE date and not when you decide to buy the warranty. The advantage to buying it now is that it will only go up in price in the future.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
What I said was to wait until the new warranty is almost over and get one of the plans you can get then. There are two sets of Honda Care plans, the new vehicle ones that start at in service and must be purchased prior to 6k miles and then "near new" plans that you can buy after 6k miles that start from the date you buy.

The C ($100 ded) and D ($0 ded) coded plans are for new vehicles, less than 6k miles. The F ($100 ded) and G ($0 ded) coded plans are for vehicles between 6-36k miles.

I purchased mine right before they extended the warranty on the injectors, which was the impetus for me getting one. This is from my email from Hyannis, on my 2018 RL, I got a 5 year 80k mile plan:

PLAN: G58
CONTRACT TYPE: VEHICLE SERVICE CONTRACT
CONTRACT EXP MILE: 80,000
CONTRACT EXP DATE: 09-24-2025
MILEAGE: 32,839
VSC RETAIL DATE: 09-25-2020
My truck in service date was Oct 2017. You can see the 5 years started from the day I bought it, not the in service date.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts