Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
183 Posts
What I said was to wait until the new warranty is almost over and get one of the plans you can get then. There are two sets of Honda Care plans, the new vehicle ones that start at in service and must be purchased prior to 6k miles and then "near new" plans that you can buy after 6k miles that start from the date you buy.

The C ($100 ded) and D ($0 ded) coded plans are for new vehicles, less than 6k miles. The F ($100 ded) and G ($0 ded) coded plans are for vehicles between 6-36k miles.

I purchased mine right before they extended the warranty on the injectors, which was the impetus for me getting one. This is from my email from Hyannis, on my 2018 RL, I got a 5 year 80k mile plan:

My truck in service date was Oct 2017. You can see the 5 years started from the day I bought it, not the in service date.
So, if I am fully understanding the F and G plans, you get the additional 5 years, but you are still maxed out at 80K miles. I don't believe you take the 32,839 and add it to the 80,000 and get a 112,839 mile warranty. Are we on the same page or am I missing something?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, definitely. Mileage is always mileage, but the time start is different. I don't put a ton of miles on my truck, it only has 36k now about a year later, so time is more important than miles. But a 5 year plan purchased when new only nets you 2 additional years of coverage and whatever mileage difference between your plan and 36k. With this, my coverage lasts until the truck is 8 years old.

If they had just come out with the injector thing sooner, I probably would not have gotten one at all. Again, IMO, it makes sense to wait until the warranty is up to make that decision. Especially if you decided to sell it or got in a wreck that totaled it in those first 3 years, you are out nothing.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Yes, definitely. Mileage is always mileage, but the time start is different. I don't put a ton of miles on my truck, it only has 36k now about a year later, so time is more important than miles. But a 5 year plan purchased when new only nets you 2 additional years of coverage and whatever mileage difference between your plan and 36k. With this, my coverage lasts until the truck is 8 years old.

If they had just come out with the injector thing sooner, I probably would not have gotten one at all. Again, IMO, it makes sense to wait until the warranty is up to make that decision. Especially if you decided to sell it or got in a wreck that totaled it in those first 3 years, you are out nothing.
Understood...I would have to see the difference in overall price structure going from a "new" plan to that of a >6K mile plan. Interesting item to ponder, but I fully see the advantage to you based on low mileage and needing the extra time versus miles.

Reactions: gti16vman

·
Registered
79 Posts

I always wait on purchasing but if you purchase prior to 6k, you can get 8 year plans. 5 years is the max available to me at 30k. Having owned for 1.75 year, my max coverage is 6.75 years.

Had the great deals on Ridgelines continued until today, it's possible that I would have traded, in place of the extended warranty. Unfortunately, in this environment, I am not paying MSRP or MSRP+ for a honda.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I always wait on purchasing but if you purchase prior to 6k, you can get 8 year plans. 5 years is the max available to me at 30k. Having owned for 1.75 year, my max coverage is 6.75 years.

Had the great deals on Ridgelines continued until today, it's possible that I would have traded, in place of the extended warranty. Unfortunately, in this environment, I am not paying MSRP or MSRP+ for a honda.
I spoke to Sean at Hyannis today and he confirmed that it's actually much cheaper and a better option to buy before 6K then after. If you need the time, then get the 8-year plan from the get go.

Reactions: Seasonal

·
Registered
928 Posts
Insurance/ warranties are always a waste of money until you use it. Lol

If you plan on keeping your vehicle past the given warranty, I think it's worth the piece of mind
, but I think it sucks that all manufacturers dont do the 100,000 miles up front.

It's not a question of, if you can afford the repair, it's a question of do you want drop a potentially very high amount of money if something goes wrong. 1400 to 2000 bucks buys that piece of mind. The warranty sets the max ( and the min) of what repairs will cost in that time frame. It's a gamble either way, I've done both but these days any repair costs an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's not a question of, if you can afford the repair, it's a question of do you want drop a potentially very high amount of money if something goes wrong. 1400 to 2000 bucks buys that piece of mind. The warranty sets the max ( and the min) of what repairs will cost in that time frame. It's a gamble either way, I've done both but these days any repair costs an arm and a leg.
I don't understand this rationale.
Why do people enthusiastically fork over $1500-$2000 upfront to buy a warranty, yet are scared of the slight possibility of a $1500 repair in the future?

The warranty does NOT set the max of repair costs, because there are SO MANY loopholes/exclusions in the warranty.
Many repairs are not covered, so you could end up spending $1500 on the warranty, plus $1500 on the repair.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Why do people enthusiastically fork over $1500-$2000 upfront to buy a warranty, yet are scared of the slight possibility of a $1500 repair in the future?

The warranty does NOT set the max of repair costs, because there are SO MANY loopholes/exclusions in the warranty.
Many repairs are not covered, so you could end up spending $1500 on the warranty, plus $1500 on the repair.
You still are looking at this all wrong, bluegrass, as we stated previously, we are anticipating not putting out any money at all for repairs by purchasing our extended warranty!

"We purchased the extended warranty with our new Ridgeline, now we can sit back and relax with the peace of mind that as long as that warranty is in effect our Ridgeline will be a model of dependability! ;)"

Bill

·
Registered
928 Posts

It's not about being scared of a $1500 repair, that would be a wash.
But it is possible to have 3 to 5 thousand dollars (hell it could be 10,000) of repairs needed that you wouldn't have to pay if you have the warranty. So if you have the warranty - you win!

I get it, no one knows if it will happen to them, just like every other kind of insurance, it's only a good investment if you use it. I've been on both sides of the fence on this one, I never believed in them. But as costs to repair anything on a vehicle goes through the roof, I find that it's worth the cost if you plan on racking up the miles.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, one way or the other, I'm just saying there are 2 sides, both make sense, depending on your situation.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I wasn't responding to your rationale.
I was responding to DriveAllNight's rationale.
Hee hee, the main difference between given rationals here is that most of the folks appear to be looking at the extended warranty as a glass half full, (it will be there if we need it.) Bluegrass, you appear to be looking at extended warranties with the rational that the glass is half empty, (a total waste of money no matter what!) ;)

Bill

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
362 Posts
Like DriveAllNight mentioned, it's prudent to view HondaCare (or any other extended "warranty") as an insurance product - because that is exactly what they are - specific, limited insurance policies. You are certainly betting that something costly will go wrong within the time and parameters of the warranty that exceeds what you paid for said policy.
The key here is to shop around - as the HondaCare warranty is frequently heavily marked-up (as much as 2x +), making the value much less.
It's a personal decision for everyone (risk vs reward). For me, I know I'm going to be maxing out my usage of the RL, towing and using it to it's limits, so for me ~$1300 for one of the longest term (w/ $100 deductible) was a bet I was willing to make.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Another way to look at it.
You are making payments on your Ridgeline. You decide to go with a 4 year payment plan.
You exceed the 36,000 miles in year 2. Your Ridgeline breaks down, and has to go into the shop and they tell you it's going to cost 3500 dollars.
In just over 2 years, while you are making payments, you have to fork over another $3500. Most people will get very upset that a vehicle, that new, needs those kinds of repairs and they always say... " It broke down before I even paid it off." Leaving you with a very bad feeling about a significant purchase.
If you don't feel a 40,000 plus price tag is significant, good for you for doing so well financially, but most people do.

Now, if you have the warranty, people tend to feel ok about everything and say, "it's ok , it's covered" No stressing out about the cost, much less aggravation. Piece of mind and it does limit your financial exposure.

But again, it doesn't fit everyone's situation, how long you keep your vehicle, how many miles you put up a year, how hard you beat on it, how much of a financial hit are you willing to take, or the flip side, if you can even afford the warranty.

So many variables, which is why I say, they make sense depending on your situation.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hee hee, the main difference between given rationals here is that most of the folks appear to be looking at the extended warranty as a glass half full, (it will be there if we need it.) Bluegrass, you appear to be looking at extended warranties with the rational that the glass is half empty, (a total waste of money no matter what!) ;)
This is what DriveAllNight said...
"The warranty sets the max ( and the min) of what repairs will cost in that time frame. It's a gamble either way, I've done both but these days any repair costs an arm and a leg."

This is simply not true. The warranty does NOT "set the max of what repairs will cost".
There are hundreds/thousands of repair scenarios that the warranty would not cover.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
The key here is to shop around - as the HondaCare warranty is frequently heavily marked-up (as much as 2x +), making the value much less.
No reason to shop around. No one will beat Hyannis' price so go directly to Sean and call it a day!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
This is what DriveAllNight said...
"The warranty sets the max ( and the min) of what repairs will cost in that time frame. It's a gamble either way, I've done both but these days any repair costs an arm and a leg."

This is simply not true. The warranty does NOT "set the max of what repairs will cost".
There are hundreds/thousands of repair scenarios that the warranty would not cover.
For example? The Honda Care plan should cover everything except wear and tear items and issues like paint, glass and trim.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Like DriveAllNight mentioned, it's prudent to view HondaCare (or any other extended "warranty") as an insurance product - because that is exactly what they are - specific, limited insurance policies.
I disagree.
Insurance should be used to cover catastrophic issues...not to cover every little expense the comes up in daily life.

I carry insurance to cover losses that would have a significant financial impact (liability in a car accident, house burns down, $100K hospital bill).
I don't get the "extended protection" they offer when buying a $20 item at Home Depot or Harbor Freight. I don't carry $100 deductibles on my auto insurance. I don't buy extended warranties for cell phones.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
You clearly have not read the warranty details.
You might want to take a look at the exclusions, limitations and other loopholes.
Please feel free to enlighten me on what exclusions and loopholes concern you?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts