182 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
182 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
There is so much wiggle room even with the 3/36. Look at the run around that Trackside got with his check valve and the hard brake pedal. So much is left to discretion. I forget the threads but there's a pattern of those that get regular service from the dealer having an easier time with warranty repairs. There's also a lot of in between issues these days that although not working correctly 100% of the time, it doesn't cross the threshold for a warranty repair if the powers that say so choose to. But let's not get carried away here, Honda isn't going to wiggle out 100% of the time they've been mostly fair to me with Hondacare and my dealer doesn't even sell it.

Here's a good one. Let's day that you have a Honda V6 that's 6 years and 1 day old and has 60k miles on it and the timing belt breaks. Obviously, it's before it's scheduled replacement but out of warranty for a normal wear and tear item. There's even a clause in there about timing belts. I remember having a conversation with someone at HC about this in the early 2000's and they were rude and nasty saying it was my responsibility to maintain my car. The timing belt stuff has gotten out of hand though, it used to be a $1000 item and now it's like $2500 making a V6 not worth it anymore. It's just like brake work a $ opportunity for the dealers and shops to raise the price level on.

Also, when I had the CVT replaced with Honda Care in a CRV, Honda care didn't cover $50 worth of miscellaneous bolts and fasteners despite paying out $4400 and a brand new CRV loaner for 2 days. The dealer covered it though.

With all that said, we all know Honda quality dropped compared to the early 2004-2010 stuff (at least for me it did) and if there was ever a time to have a form of protection, it's now if you want to got the 6-10 year mark. I think Honda cut back on longevity spec's. My last 2 Honda's all developed issues once the 5/60 was over. Little stuff like a window switch or a lock actuator all add up quick. I'm good with spending 1300 up front it's in year 8 I'm trading in.

Of course, the warranty is a losing proposition from a $ standpoint but as mentioned the peace of mind is priceless and let's say that I pass a Honda down to one of my kids, now they have that extra protection.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
If you read what I posted, and that is what you took away from it, then you are a perfect candidate to be sold anything.
Not my first rodeo bluegrass. The RL will be my 42nd vehicle and I have lots of experience with several manufacturers extended warranties. And if you took away anything other than wear and tear and cosmetics then you're just looking for issues to be a never-warranty buyer. No manufacturer will warranty structure, exhausts, trim, glass, etc. If you feel that they should to make this warranty "valid", in your personal opinion, then you are truly missing the boat my blue friend ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
And if you took away anything other than wear and tear and cosmetics then you're just looking for issues to be a never-warranty buyer. No manufacturer will warranty structure, exhausts, trim, glass, etc. If you feel that they should to make this warranty "valid", in your personal opinion, then you are truly missing the boat my blue friend ;)
My initial statement was a very clear, indisputable fact...
There are hundreds of repair scenarios that the warranty would not cover.

You responded that HondaCare... "covers everything except wear & tear items and paint/glass/trim."
Then doubled down by claiming..."Yep...just as I stated above...all wear and tear items along with cosmetics."
These claims are simply not true.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
My initial statement was a very clear, indisputable fact...
There are hundreds of repair scenarios that the warranty would not cover.

You responded that HondaCare "covers everything except wear & tear items and paint/glass/trim."
Then doubled down by claiming..."Yep...just as I stated above...all wear and tear items along with cosmetics."
These claims are simply not true.
We will agree to disagree my friend :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
We will agree to disagree my friend :)
I just posted the warranty details that clearly disprove your claim that it "covers everything except wear/tear items and cosmetics".

Your Ridgeline has the well-documented water intrusion issue…not covered
Radiator hose busts and engine overheats…not covered
Any issue with the exhaust system (cats, mufflers, headers, ect)…not covered
Gasket in your oil pan or transmission develop a lead and causes a failure…not covered
Fuel hose develops a crack…not covered
Contaminated fuel causes an issue…not covered
Expensive headlight assembly develops a problem…not covered
Weather stripping fails and causes water damage…not covered
Problem with your wheel/wheel assembly…not covered
Issues with any interior parts (carpet, dash, console, seats, rearview mirror, ect)…not covered
You add an intake or aftermarket stereo and Honda feels it contributed to an issue…not covered
Drive a few feet too far after an oil pressure light comes on…not covered
Can’t find one oil change receipt and your engine blows…not covered
Use your vehicle to make 1 UberEats delivery…not covered

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I just posted the warranty details that clearly disprove your claim that it "covers everything except wear/tear items and cosmetics".

Your Ridgeline has the well-documented water intrusion issue…not covered
Radiator hose busts and engine overheats…not covered
Any issue with the exhaust system (cats, mufflers, headers, ect)…not covered
Gasket in your oil pan or transmission develop a lead and causes a failure…not covered
Fuel hose develops a crack…not covered
Contaminated fuel causes an issue…not covered
Expensive headlight assembly develops a problem…not covered
Weather stripping fails and causes water damage…not covered
Problem with your wheel/wheel assembly…not covered
Issues with any interior parts (carpet, dash, console, seats, rearview mirror, ect)…not covered
You add an intake or aftermarket stereo and Honda feels it contributed to an issue…not covered
Drive a few feet too far after an oil pressure light comes on…not covered
Can’t find one oil change receipt and your engine blows…not covered
Use your vehicle to make 1 UberEats delivery…not covered
Exactly...and you feel that a manufacturer should cover what you mentioned above? I, for one, do not and guess I am a bit more realistic about what an extended warranty should cover.

- Water intrusion should be resolved LONG before you need your extended warranty​
- radiator hose - wear item​
- exhaust system issues are extremely uncommon are unless you screw with your exhaust system. A CAT also is covered under its own warranty.​
- gaskets are wear and tear​
- contaminants are never covered period so on't buy fuel at Joe's Gas Station that see little traffic​
- weather stripping failure should occur LONG before your extended warranty if there is a manufacturers defect​
- No one covers interior parts - wear and tear​
- you screw with anything electrical, you are at high risk of being denied (same as with any manufacturer in or out of warranty)​
- Drive too far on an oil pressure light? Then you are stupid and deserve to have your warranty rejected​
- Every manufacturer requires proof of normal maintenance​
Again...agree to disagree. Your expectations are way too high and unreasonable IMPO.​

·
Registered
598 Posts
Exactly...and you feel that a manufacturer should cover what you mentioned above? I, for one, do not and guess I am a bit more realistic about what an extended warranty should cover.
Again...agree to disagree. Your expectations are way too high and unreasonable IMPO.
First you claim the warranty "covers everything except wear/tear/cosmetics".
Then you say manufacturers shouldn't cover items I mentioned, and you are "more realistic about what a warranty should cover."
You can't have it both ways. Either it "covers everything" as you claim, or it doesn't.

Buying a $1500 warranty is essentially pre-paying for potential future repairs. But you can't predict what those repairs might entail.
You could develop a water intrusion issue, the oil pan gasket might fail, your headlight assembly might stop working, a fuel line might crack, the dashboard might warp.
These may be the types of repairs encountered during an extended warranty period, and they would not be covered.

You are welcome to justify why a warranty should not cover these issues.
But you can't claim a warranty "covers everything", then classify everything it doesn't cover as "wear items".
  • An oil pan gasket failing at 65K miles is not a "wear item".
  • A fuel line, radiator hose, headliner, or headlight assembly failing at 40K are not "wear items".
  • Water leaking into the cab through body seams is not a "wear item".

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
First you claim the warranty "covers everything except wear/tear/cosmetics".
Then you say manufacturers shouldn't cover items I mentioned, and you are "more realistic about what a warranty should cover."
You can't have it both ways. Either it "covers everything" as you claim, or it doesn't.

Buying a $1500 warranty is essentially pre-paying for potential future repairs. But you can't predict what those repairs might entail.
You could develop a water intrusion issue, the oil pan gasket might fail, your headlight assembly might stop working, a fuel line might crack, the dashboard might warp.
These may be the types of repairs encountered during an extended warranty period, and they would not be covered.

You are welcome to justify why a warranty should not cover these issues.
But you can't claim a warranty "covers everything", then classify everything it doesn't cover as "wear items".
  • An oil pan gasket failing at 65K miles is not a "wear item".
  • A fuel line, radiator hose, headliner, or headlight assembly failing at 40K are not "wear items".
  • Water leaking into the cab through body seams is not a "wear item".
Dude, we all recognize that you are anti-warranty. My first comment holds true and I stand by that. You can spin things however you wish. Just let it go. Like I said twice...agree to disagree. Many believe the warranty has value and are willing to spend their money on it for post-warranty period coverage.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My first comment holds true and I stand by that. You can spin things however you wish. Just let it go.
You stand by your comment that HondaCare "covers everything except wear and tear items and cosmetics"?
And you think I am the one "spinning things"?

To make things very simple, I'll focus on just 1 specific issue...
HondaCare's contract explicitly states that it does NOT cover the well-documented water intrusion issue.
And the water intrusion issue is NOT a "wear item" or "cosmetics".

I don't know how you could possibly dispute this.
It is clear proof the warranty doesn't "cover everything except wear/tear/cosmetics".

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
You stand by your comment that HondaCare "covers everything except wear and tear items and cosmetics"?
And you think I am the one "spinning things"?

To make things very simple, I'll focus on just 1 specific issue...
HondaCare's contract explicitly states that it does NOT cover the well-documented water intrusion issue.
And the water intrusion issue is NOT a "wear item" or "cosmetics".

I don't know how you could possibly dispute this.
It is clear proof the warranty doesn't "cover everything except wear/tear/cosmetics".
You are like the Energizer Bunny....just keeps going and going and going 😂 My final response:

If you have the water leak issue, you should have it from day one and not, all of a sudden, once your 3/36 is over. I certainly would never expect that to be covered post-warranty...apparently you do. I'm done and as @tedsmithhof stated...I'm getting bored with your inability to see reason and let go. Bye Bye and Happy Thanksgiving my blue friend🦃

·
Registered
598 Posts
I certainly would never expect that to be covered post-warranty...apparently you do.
I don't expect HondaCare to cover any specific issue. Quite frankly, I don't care what it covers.
I was just pushing back on your false claim that it "covers everything except wear/tear/cosmetics".
Looks like you've finally acknowledged that claim is not true.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Software updates aren't covered under Honda Care, either.
Thanks Roger. But, software updates would be the least of my worries buying a warranty

Reactions: wjfyfe
41 - 59 of 59 Posts