Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

In my Gen2 Ridgeline windshield washer fluid comes immediately at first pull.

• No (has to pull few times)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes (got washer fluid at first pull)

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly I have forgotten how annoying it could be to push washer level 4 times before you got washer fluid coming to windshield. In my economical 12 years old Mitsubishi a check-valve is built-in in washer pump. You got strike from first pull - always. Long story short, is it just me (2018 RTL-E) or all Gen2 have no check-valve in washer system?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Unlike some other things in life, I just pull once and get fluid ;)
:oops:

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Mine squirt on the first pull, too! (2017 and 2019 RTL-E's)

I rarely squirt - I probably use 1-2 bottles of fluid every year, if that.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,239 Posts
Yes (got washer fluid at first pull)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I suspect that one of the washer hoses is cracked and fluid seeps out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on my story.
Indeed up on test on new Ridgeline on dealer lot - get washing fluid at first pull is NORMAL for new car! Mine definetly has an issue. Well, to get "free" warranty service is not easy task! :)
It took me over two months and numerous visits to convince Honda service dealer and get washer fluid pump (76806-T6Z-A02) replaced.
Service manager assured me that mechanic checked washer hose is not cracked and there is no fluid leakage.
Now it takes me 3 strokes of lever instead of 4 to get spray on windshield.
He also mentioned that service diagram has no check valves at all.

Any ideas or similar experience?

Emotional notes on the side.
I am thinking of trying luck at another service center, however my expectations are really really low. One day the guys behind counter laughed at me so badly when I complained on the issue. Indeed after 10 minutes in the line I saw how easy for them to get $300 for "oil & wipers change"... who wants (and can) do a challenging work?!
To get windshield clean in winter traffic is important to me. I know my Mitsu (made in Japan) can do it every day at any weather for 12 years (with same washing fluid in both cars). Looks like Honda America quality level is dropping to the floor. At least in my eyes. God forbid to have real issue and come to service center.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just saw a video on washing fluid motor replacement in Pilot, noticed a fancy connector. Could a check valve be inside connector? In this case whole tube (76814-TG7-A01) has to be replaced. Not sure how to convince Honda Service.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Feb 2020 update. The second dealer was way easier to work with indeed. They also have no idea which part is responsible for check valve function. Apparently there is no such troubleshooting guide. They agreed to change tube (part in yellow) - no difference.
washer fluid system honda.jpg
By the low of gravity the check valve has to be somewhere at bottom. But where? I opened case with Honda customer service. Few weeks down the road the consilium have decided to replace both Washer Tank and Washer Motor Assy. Miracle happened! My car does sprinkles washer fluid like new!
The mechanic could not officially state the root cause. The best guess the troublemaker is a washer fluid "yellow stuff" from Rain-X that costs me twice more than regular "blue stuff" (Krystal Kleer -20F). The problem with Rain-X is some sort additives they put in. When blue and yellow washer fluids are mixed - the yellow began making sticky film on sides of the tank. The film got sucked inside the motor and it caused a slow drain leak from tube down to tank. My decade old Mitsu was fed with exact same fluids and did not jammed. My guess modern technology has less tolerance.
FYI a bad guy I buy at Costco.
20020002.jpg

Lessons learned: Not all dealers are the same. BTW I got negative purchasing experience at first dealership as well and bought my Ridgeline at second one 2 years back. Should have learned my lesson than.
Happy End!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Are you operating it properly? The washer is "spray while you pull". It's not like older vehicles where you gave a quick pull and released and it squirted a few times while the wipers went. The Ridgeline sprays only while you hold the lever pulled, then the wipers stop after a couple of swipes after you let go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts