Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips for washing a black vehicle? I saw where someone used Mr. Clean Auto Dry to keep it from spotting...not sure I want to spend $30 on something like this if there's another way. I haven't bathed my RL yet since I just got it Saturday, but it's starting to need a bath already. I guess I'll find out after the 1st wash if it's going to be a problem or not.

Thanks.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I took the liberty to move this thread to the washing/waxing/detailing forum.

There are several owners of Nighthawk Black Ridgelines so your question should be addressed soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure about black but, on my green one I use McGuire's spray & shine. Just spray it on the rinsed vehicle and wipe off. It works great for me. PS don't spray it on the windows or use the same cloth to wipe the windows and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
swampler said:
Any tips for washing a black vehicle? I saw where someone used Mr. Clean Auto Dry to keep it from spotting...not sure I want to spend $30 on something like this if there's another way. I haven't bathed my RL yet since I just got it Saturday, but it's starting to need a bath already. I guess I'll find out after the 1st wash if it's going to be a problem or not.
Thanks.
I use the Mr. Clean Auto Dry on several cars. It works good as advertised provided you don't wash it in the sun. The trick is not to let the soap have a chance to dry before you wash it off. Works best to wash it in sections in the shade doing the soap & rinse. Once all rinsed then spay down with the filtered water selection.

I find any section where I let the soap start to dry even a little then the whole process is shot, you'll have to re-soap and scrub that section over again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
well...this is my first Black car since high school...we are in for a lot of work! I wash it and it is dirty in 1 hour. There are fingerprints all over every time you shut the door.
I just dry it with a shammy and it seems fine,,,for a few minutes...but when it's shinning, nothing looks better!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wash mine with Turtle Wax ZIP Car Wash. The trick is drying it right and don't do it in the sun. I use a chamois(shammy) or you can get the Absorber synthetic chamois. Lay it out on the flat surfaces then pick it up at the edge and drag it across the surface and there wont be a spot of anything. Obviously you can't quite to that on the sides. If someone has better methods post them. I love washing my cars so I am always looking for new ideas.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zero said:
I took the liberty to move this thread to the washing/waxing/detailing forum.

There are several owners of Nighthawk Black Ridgelines so your question should be addressed soon.
Thanks for moving it. I saw the exterior section and didn't look any further.

Thanks for the tips guys. I wish I had shade at the house...may have to wait for a cloudy day (or maybe early morning before the sun reaches over the house) to do the washing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do mine in the morning. Do it Saturday morning and you are ready to start the day without a speck of dust and ready to rock for the weekend. :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello Swampler,
I used Armour All Gel Wash and it worked fine, as long as you wash your car out of the sun's heat. My brother is a part time detailer and he told me that he has good luck with Blue Coral Wash and Wax from Walmart.. He also told me to use The Wax Shop, Super Glaze Liquid Wax for waxing and not to rub it in too hard or you will get swirl marks. also using the microfiber cloth rags to take off the wax has the best results.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
may i suggest on using a soft bristle brush that is made for car washing not a sponge or wooly wool mitten. My brother has a Black Navigator and bought a special ultra soft bristle brush to wash his SUV. He use Eagles soap and spray after wash wax and dries his SUV with a syntetic chomois and squeegy for the glass. these should prevent swirls scratches to your body and glass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts