Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you all like to use for keeping your vehicles nice and clean? I have used everything from car washes to Dawn dishwasher soap. I have tried paste waxes and liquid waxes.

When I had my Infiniti I did the clay bar routine with washing the car twice and waxing.

What do you guys do, especially those that are strapped for time and don't have 3 hours to devote to washing the car?

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
I'm a big fan of Zaino Brothers polishes. A friend and I usually call a "Z Day" every now and then where we restock our supply, ice the beer and spend 6-8 hours shining up our rides. It's a long day but wow... quite worth the effort and the money.

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So T Mac, you like the Zaino Bros stuff. I have read a lot about their products but haven't taken the plunge. I have a couple of questions:

How often do you give your cars the Zaino treatment?

What do you use in between Zaino treatments?

For me, I would like to have something labor intensive (like the Zaino system) that I would use every 3-6 months and make an afternoon out of it. But I would also like something adequate for the in between times that I could use and be done with in about an hour.

Anyone here with any experience with the Mr. Clean Autodry products?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use the Mr. Clean stuff...it works as advertised--the car dries by itself without spots. I hate washing cars though which is why my next car (hopefully an RTS) will be Billet Silver Metallic so it doesn't show dirt as well as forest green. I've also used that Waterless wash stuff too--kinda expensive and I only tried it because I was hoping that I wouldn't have to wash/wax our cars as often. It too "worked" but I can't say if it was any better than Mr. Clean. You'd think by now that someone would come out with something that you could spray on and then drive in the rain--voila!

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have used one of the waterless systems. They work very well and are relatively easy to apply. But you need to use a lot of product if your car is very dirty. I agree that they are on the expensive side.

I am leaning towards trying the Zaino Bros stuff and using the Mr. Clean for the in between washes. Any of you Zaino guys have any advice concerning exactly what products I should buy from the Zaino system? :confused:

·
Administrator
925 Posts
zero said:
How often do you give your cars the Zaino treatment?

What do you use in between Zaino treatments?
I do Zaino twice a year. They have various applications that you can quickly spray on and wipe off during the in-between times. It's top notch stuff. Check out some of the pics on their web site: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

If you place an order, tell him "Tom from the Honda web sites" sent you! ;) He's a great guy and he can tell you anything you need to know about polishing anything in your driveway.

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just put in my order for Zaino products. They should arrive before the Ridgeline does. I will post some pics once I use the Zaino stuff on the Ridgeline.

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I received my Zaino stuff about 1 week ago. I have not had a chance to use it yet (probably will use it on the Ody since my Ridgeline won't be here until April).

I am getting over a nasty crud cold so I will have to take a raincheck on huffing my Zaino! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just thought I would chime in about the Mr. Clean system... I don't mind washing my cars but I hate drying them and I really hate washing them and then seeing spots. :mad:

For a quick job the Mr. Clean stuff worked great!
Like has already been said you still probably want to do something more labor intensive every so often but Mr. Clean gets my vote for in between major washs. :)

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jauten1,
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Klasse All-in-One really pops that silver! Took away the blotchiness, which at first, I thought was the paint. After washing, drying and doing the Klasse treatment, the blotchiness was gone! Smooth, even silver! Truly a site to behold...I've had over 20+ postive compliments on the truck already!

Aloha,
Keoni

·
Registered
274 Posts
Link to car care products http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/carcare.htm For Vinyl and plastic http://www.303products.com/main.php
zero said:
So what do you all like to use for keeping your vehicles nice and clean? I have used everything from car washes to Dawn dishwasher soap. I have tried paste waxes and liquid waxes.

When I had my Infiniti I did the clay bar routine with washing the car twice and waxing.

What do you guys do, especially those that are strapped for time and don't have 3 hours to devote to washing the car?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can't say enough about Mr. Clean Auto Dry. Have used the product for three years now. My only complaint is the price of the soap and the filter. Have found a cheaper price in Michigan at Target, it's almost 2 for 1 versus Canadian prices.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mr. Clean, Mr. Clean.
I have done a lot of washing and detailing, but I have to say I love this stuff best. No drying, no swirl marks.
The bulky handle does tend to leak the precious soap when not in use, so be careful. (should be a screw on cap, not the dopey tab flap thing, IMHO).
Also, my new favorite wax is Turtle Wax Ice. Goes on easy, shines beautifully and will NOT mark up all the black plastic on the Ridge. In fact, you can use it right on it to shine it up.
Oh, and as an aside, it is the best stainless steel polish I have ever found. Use it on all the kitchen appliances and it doesn't leave marks.

·
Registered
989 Posts
pe34sab said:
Can't say enough about Mr. Clean Auto Dry. Have used the product for three years now. My only complaint is the price of the soap and the filter. Have found a cheaper price in Michigan at Target, it's almost 2 for 1 versus Canadian prices.
I think Mr Clean works well but where I live the water filter clogs up after 5 or 6 washes not the ten they anticipate and at 7 bucks a pop it gets costly with 4 cars. Besides at this point I'm convinced it removes wax.

For me the Griots system offers the best protection and shine of anything I've ever used

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use products by prowax. You can access thier site at prowax.com there are two waxes on there that i really find are an execellent choice. The first is called satin cream. This has a little cleaner in it for those of you who dont clean the truck all the time. The other i like on there is Cherry wax, this wax is a finisher wax that can be applied everywhere and not leave white residue. I recently owned an element and never worried when using cherry wax close to the panels.
I detail cars a little on the side for some extra cash and i stand by 98% of the products that are on pro's site. Check them out i am sure you will be pleased with the results....

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I've always been manic about car care because I just enjoy doing it...and enjoy how good a clean vehicle looks. Consumer Reports had a great article about car waxes/polishes a few months back, and they rated Black Magic Liquid Wax as the top wax. That's the one I use now. And after most washings, I also use a spray-on wax. I've been using "Meguiar's NXT", but Consumer Reports rates the "Eagle One Wax-As-U-Dry" as the number one spray wax. So that's the one I'll be switching to next time I buy. The spray stuff is good for extending the life of a good wax job. Sure brightens the shine after washing.

For tire care, I use most any kind of spray stuff (Armor All, Son of a Gun, etc). Never found much difference in any of them. However, after a recommendation from a forum member, I got a bottle of the tire gel. Works great and lasts longer than the spray stuff. BUT, it's h*ll to get it in all the ridges on the edges of the tires. So I use the spray stuff mostly.

Ask 50 different auto owners about the best wax to buy, and you'll probably get 50 different answers. I like to check actual "somewhat scientific" tests like Consumer Reports to get good info.
Tom

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've always been manic about car care because I just enjoy doing it...and enjoy how good a clean vehicle looks. Consumer Reports had a great article about car waxes/polishes a few months back, and they rated Black Magic Liquid Wax as the top wax. That's the one I use now. And after most washings, I also use a spray-on wax. I've been using "Meguiar's NXT", but Consumer Reports rates the "Eagle One Wax-As-U-Dry" as the number one spray wax. So that's the one I'll be switching to next time I buy. The spray stuff is good for extending the life of a good wax job. Sure brightens the shine after washing.

For tire care, I use most any kind of spray stuff (Armor All, Son of a Gun, etc). Never found much difference in any of them. However, after a recommendation from a forum member, I got a bottle of the tire gel. Works great and lasts longer than the spray stuff. BUT, it's h*ll to get it in all the ridges on the edges of the tires. So I use the spray stuff mostly.

Ask 50 different auto owners about the best wax to buy, and you'll probably get 50 different answers. I like to check actual "somewhat scientific" tests like Consumer Reports to get good info.
Tom
I have found that consumer reports is sometimes a good reference to use when buying sometimes. Although their studies are sometimes biased in reports. Also they are rating consumer waxes that can be bought on the shelves at walmart. If you wanna see some incredible waxes check out zymols site. Not the 9.89 stuff from the store, Zymol formulates wax especially for certain brands. They study the paint and all of the ingredients and develop the best wax for that paint.... Consumer reports dont know nothin bout that....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts