Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Water in trunk. Need some advice.

Tags
trunk water
5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Dust 
#1 ·
So I park my truck under a lot of trees that drop all kinds of fun tree things. Unfortunately when it rains the needles and seeds get lodged into the holes and then it causes the rain to fill up the lockable bed. I just got the truck in July and this has happened a few times already. I am thinking about getting a cover of some kind which will keep this from happening. But I am also wondering if I could possibly drill out the drainage holes so they can't get blocked. Has anyone else have this happen? Also a garage is out of the question.

#4 ·
Ummm, are the needles piling up to the point the lid is forced up?

If so, just keep the channel clear and save a few bucks.

If not, have the stealer adjust the trunk lid so that it closes properly.

The trunk is supposed to be weather proof and if it isn't then the problem should be covered by the warranty.

#6 ·
I'm guessing a 2008 RT has probably run out of that kind of warranty, leaving only the powertrain possibly in effect.

Sounds to me like the tree debris is clogging his drain holes around the rim of the trunk. I don't know what you do to fix that, short of putting a cover over the bed or parking inside a garage.

#11 ·
This is what I would do prosin13, if you didn't want a Tonneau cover. They really save the floor from debris, and is a great non slip surface for throwing stuff in the back!

Of course, since I also have a Toneau cover, I recommend them both, but ya, they ain't cheap, but the rubber mats are!

#7 ·
I used to have the same problem. There are three possible remedies:

1. Habit of wiping the trunk's gutter every time that you open it after parking under trees. Leave a small rag in the trunk to keep your hands clean.

2. Tonneau cover for the truck.

3. Chainsaw for the trees. ***

I have used all three approaches and they all work.

This issue is not specific to the Ridgeline. My SUV's rear hatch used to get pine needles stuck in the seal, eventually requiring opening up the door to remove corrosion from the latch parts. At least the Ridgeline's compromised seal is more visibly obvious. Good luck!

*** Yes, they were my trees.

#8 ·
Option 4: leave the bung hole open in the bottom of the trunk. ;)

#9 ·
If it were me I'd clean the track out good, silicone the weatherstrip to swell it up and get a good seal, then either get a bed mat or a tonneau cover. I picked up a Rugged Truck cover - real nice tri-fold for $275.00 from a Leonard top distributor. You could drill out the drain holes, but I don't see the need for that yet.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the ideas everybody. This was my first question and it was great to get all the feedback so quickly. I will be picking up a cover some point soon and I know everyone has their opinions on those. Thanks again. Happy to be a Ridgeline owner.

#12 ·
Or...... you could just not park under the trees. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.