Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, several weeks ago the battery on my 2008 Ridgeline was completely dead. Although the battery tester at Honda dealership showed the battery as good, the little eye on the battery showed bad charge. I went ahead and replaced the battery with a Costco battery. It too, went completely dead. I noticed that when I connect the negative battery cable to the post, there is a significant spark and I heard a mechanical noise. I noticed that the pulley on the water pump was being pulled in about an eighth of an inch and stayed there. I believe this is what is draining my battery over night. Does anyone know if there is an electric clutch or something (relay, etc) that pulls in the water pump pulley. Mine appears to be pulling in all the time. Several weeks ago I noticed a blast of steam coming out of the hood..lasted only 3 seconds or so. Any ideas?
Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
Replace the alternator.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The water pump is driven by the timing belt not the accessory belt. The Timing belt is hidden behind covers.

The power steering pump, alternator and A/C compressor are the only things on the accessory belt (the one you can see).

If you have a power drain, the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) at the dealer can determine if a relay is stuck drawing power or a circuit is drawing too much power.

MikeT thinks your alternator is not charging the battery correctly, that is one possible reason. there are a lot others, A/C clutch stuck on, Light dimmer circuit timer broken, door relay drawing power. you get the message. Heck, your new battery could be bad.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I would have to agree with all of the above.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Is there anything else on the timing belt that is connected to the electrical system? The OP says he saw the pulley on the water pump turn and hold when he connected battery. Of course that doesn't mean the water pump is causing the problem (as I recall water pumps are mechanical, not electrical), but it points to something else with a pulley on the timing belt that could be tied in electrically and locked on, producing a load on the timing belt.

Or something else, of course. :act006:

·
Registered
635 Posts
If the OP is seeing a belt move, it pretty well has to be the accessory belt, and the alternator is the only 'motor' that could cause the belt to flinch.

Shorted diodes or maybe a messed up regulator (internal to the alternator) could cause the alternator to put quite a load on the battery.

Dealer will want major $$$$$ but if you're DIY you can remove the unit and take it to an alternator shop and have them repair it. Depends if you want it back on the road by weekend.

Anybody gotten a good alternator on eBay? Apparently it's about as cheap as having the alternator shop fix the original DENSO.

:act024:

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
You would have to disassemble the front of the engine to see the water pump.

There are nothing electrical on the timing belt - there is an rpm sensor and the vtec sensors that read positions. Nothing that draws current - they just generate pulses for the PCM computer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The electric clutch on the A/C Compressor could be clicking in and out when the battery is connected/disconnected (unlikely) which may be what the OP saw. I'd vote for alternator, though. Most likely your problem.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'd go with the alternator as well. When the diodes short out it can shunt the 12 volt exciter current to the field windings, which act like a weak electromagnet and can pull the rotor around, making the belt jerk. It can be movement or in and out if there is any torque on the belt.

Think of it as an induction motor. like a ceiling fan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You may have a bad A/C compressor relay.... I have worked on a couple of Odysseys that have had the relays stick in the on position, causing the clutch to stay completely engaged even when the vehicle is off. Causing a battery drain. When the clutch stays on all the time it can work up a lot of pressure and blow out the compressor seals or side of the housing this could be the steam you saw shooting out. Just my two cents. Checking the alternator and a/c compressor shouldn't be too hard,curious to see what the actual problem is. But I have to agree with everyone else that it is not your water pump.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
EggNogg421
You may have a bad A/C compressor relay.... I have worked on a couple of Odysseys that have had the relays stick in the on position, causing the clutch to stay completely engaged even when the vehicle is off. Causing a battery drain. When the clutch stays on all the time it can work up a lot of pressure and blow out the compressor seals or side of the housing this could be the steam you saw shooting out. Just my two cents. Checking the alternator and a/c compressor shouldn't be too hard,curious to see what the actual problem is. But I have to agree with everyone else that it is not your water pump.

Jack
I'd go with the alternator as well. When the diodes short out it can shunt the 12 volt exciter current to the field windings, which act like a weak electromagnet and can pull the rotor around, making the belt jerk. It can be movement or in and out if there is any torque on the belt.

Think of it as an induction motor. like a ceiling fan.

I'll second eithe one of these.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am currently having a similar problem. I replaced the AC compressor relay after reading some other posts, and now my car starts fine (at least last two mornings) however I now see my brake indicator light on the dash intermittantly blinking on and off throughout the day? Where would I start to even troubleshoot?

·
Registered
635 Posts
...... I now see my brake indicator light on the dash intermittently blinking on and off throughout the day? Where would I start to even troubleshoot?
First troubleshooting step: Before booking the dealership, carefully reach into the glove box and see what the manual says about the conditions that will light that indicator.

_ Park Brake on
_ Failure of the braking system
_ Lamp test during start-up
_ Low brake Fluid / Worn brake pads Could be?

Here's an example of a TSB from another HONDA product. If it's that low, it may be time for new pads, or just top it up.

Getting any shrill scraping noises from under the vehicle?

:act018:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello All, several weeks ago the battery on my 2008 Ridgeline was completely dead. Although the battery tester at Honda dealership showed the battery as good, the little eye on the battery showed bad charge. I went ahead and replaced the battery with a Costco battery. It too, went completely dead. I noticed that when I connect the negative battery cable to the post, there is a significant spark and I heard a mechanical noise. I noticed that the pulley on the water pump was being pulled in about an eighth of an inch and stayed there. I believe this is what is draining my battery over night. Does anyone know if there is an electric clutch or something (relay, etc) that pulls in the water pump pulley. Mine appears to be pulling in all the time. Several weeks ago I noticed a blast of steam coming out of the hood..lasted only 3 seconds or so. Any ideas?
Thank you
pull the ac clutch fuse and that will re set the relay. I had the same problem.

joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same problems on my 2008 Ridgeline, replaced battery as well. Battery and alternator tested good. Long story short- Honda did the parasitic test and found that the relay for the a/c compressor was stuck on and prevented the vehicle form going into "sleep" mode. It was drawing 4x more amperage than it should have. It was $32 for a new really and $125 for the test but I should be good to go now. Hopefully this can prevent someone in the future from have to bore the extra costs of the test and get right to the problem. Not too impressed with Honda on this one but it is what it is...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Sticking relays aren't just a Honda issue.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
Sticking relays aren't just a Honda issue.
No, but by prior posts, it appears Honda is on the verge of a better replacement. If only they were that reactive to the plastic rear seat pulleys.
Maybe the fear of liability from an electrical fire is a better motivator than owner complaints.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
No, but by prior posts, it appears Honda is on the verge of a better replacement. If only they were that reactive to the plastic rear seat pulleys.
Maybe the fear of liability from an electrical fire is a better motivator than owner complaints.
No kidding. You may be onto something. Who cares about owner complaints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you resolve your problem!? Did your ac compressor go bad? I had the same short little burst of steam and the same battery issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts