Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

This wouldn't be super Ridgeline specific, although a solution which perfectly fits the RL's bed dimensions would be great. Has anyone found a line of plastic bin to haul items in the bed which are decently weatherproof? I'm not looking for an ultra-durable "Skybox" type thing, more like Rubbermade totes but with hopes that they would withstand rain. I realize that plastic bags inside any container could be a good guarantee, but also know there is a ton of collective knowledge here and someone has perhaps already found the ideal bins or totes.

Thanks,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just thinking about general hauling in nasty weather, but I do not want a tonneau. And perhaps "waterproof" is an overstatement - more wondering if anyone had found better or worse storage bins.

Use cases could be moving items like books, clothing, holiday gifts (timely use case) which would overflow the interior and trunk storage, but would ideally kept pretty dry. If I am going to have a couple storage bins on hand for these times, I'd like to get the "right" ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you're not trying to fit under a tonneau cover, and not worried about locking them down, the big rubbermaid roughneck totes are probably a good bet.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Over my years of pickup ownership I've amassed a collection of several different sizes of Rubbermaid "Action Packers" to meet that need. A plus is the lid-latches absolutely prevent blow-away without any other tie-down; a minus is that they are not absolutely "waterproof" unless the lid is taped (which I've done for longer 'wet' trips where I needed zero water intrusion). They've held-up well (I've got some that are many years old) even when left outside in harsh TX sun for very extended periods.

I've also pressed Igloo-type ice chests into that service when a more watertight tote without the hassle of tape is needed.

Just for your consideration.

·
Registered
642 Posts
We use these for general storage and hauling.

I have one of these in the backseat for store runs and stuff. Obviously not waterproof but handy and doesn't take up a lot of room when collapsed.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I frequently see people walking out of Costco with a large yellow lid/black-brown body containers. I couldn't find them listed on the costco.com site. If you have a Costco nearby, perhaps check it out. Here is an online Costco box that may meet your needs.

I've had generally good experience with Rubbermaid Roughneck stuff although I noticed on my decades-old stuff the lids have become brittle and are falling apart. Also, the Roughneck stuff does not have domed lids and so water and just about anything else will pool on the lid. Roughneck garbage cans have domed lids on several models and are designed for outdoor storage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Remmington weatherproof totes....very good latches, a rubber seal and reasonable pricing make these unbeatable. I have 4 I use for my fishing gear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Rubbermaid 24 gallon action packers that I've had for over 25 years. Some have their bottom corners epoxied where sliding them on rough surfaces have worn the plastic away, but they are still pretty flexible, rain proof and I like how the handles lock down the lids. I have even put long shackle pad locks though the lids and handles, attached to chain, and antoher lock to the bed tie downs to thwart any ill attemps for a quick snatch and grab. Three fit pretty well side x side along the back wall of the bed and can be held in place with tie downs or an expandable cargo bar.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Hi there,

This wouldn't be super Ridgeline specific, although a solution which perfectly fits the RL's bed dimensions would be great. Has anyone found a line of plastic bin to haul items in the bed which are decently weatherproof? I'm not looking for an ultra-durable "Skybox" type thing, more like Rubbermade totes but with hopes that they would withstand rain. I realize that plastic bags inside any container could be a good guarantee, but also know there is a ton of collective knowledge here and someone has perhaps already found the ideal bins or totes.

Thanks,
I use the black ones that HD and Costco carries with the yellow lids. They are cheap and work great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts