Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back, I came across a website where a guy tested several of the high end waxes on a couple of different cars including a silver BMW M3. Does anyone have the site? I'm looking for a wax that is really good at removing fine scratches and also preventing static charge...my black RL is always so dusty.

If I recall, the website that I'm looking for had sections related to both issues.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Just out of curiousity, I did a web search on wax comparisons. I know very little about waxes. I didn't find what you are looking for but I did find this site that I thought might be interiesting. http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/waxquiz.asp Of course, the answers all arrive at the products they sell. One of the products listed is $1500 for 22 oz.!:eek:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Zaino has a version of their product that is specifically designed for the purpose of removing swirls a micro scratches. I once had a black pickup. I know your pain. I think I was most distressed by the light dust because I knew how good it looked right after it was polished. I found that if I polished the truck in the garage under flourescent lights I could pick out the places that needed extra attention. Sunlight just doesn't let you do that as well for some reason. I guess that's a good thing since you are usually in sunlight and don't want to see those little imperfections. The zaino site is:
www.zainostore.com/

·
Registered
459 Posts
I feel your pain also.I once owned a black durango.Always was collecting dust on it.
The only wax I use is Mguieres. I use thier soaps,waxes,widow cleaner,wheel. For everything. One tip I have.The white spots that develope from getting wax on the black trim of your RL can be removed with a product called " back to black" It removes wax from black plasitics and rubber and shines it up. Just dont get it on your paint because it will remove the wax from it. It doesnt hurt the paint, its just hard to wipe it off and removes your wax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spritegeezer said:
Zaino has a version of their product that is specifically designed for the purpose of removing swirls a micro scratches. I once had a black pickup. I know your pain. I think I was most distressed by the light dust because I knew how good it looked right after it was polished. I found that if I polished the truck in the garage under flourescent lights I could pick out the places that needed extra attention. Sunlight just doesn't let you do that as well for some reason. I guess that's a good thing since you are usually in sunlight and don't want to see those little imperfections. The zaino site is:
www.zainostore.com/
Actually, Zaino does NOT remove scratches. It hides them. It is a chemical polish and may have some fillers, but it will NOT remove scratches. Their website even says "to fill and hide scratches".

To REMOVE scratches, you need an abrasive polish. SportsCarCare.com had another article on that: http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/faqs/polishing.asp

In addition, I think Zaino is a real pain to work with. Klasse and Menzerna FMJ are just as good with the end result, but easier to use. http://www.klassevszaino.com

·
Registered
802 Posts
Vrm Vrm said:
Actually, Zaino does NOT remove scratches. It hides them. It is a chemical polish and may have some fillers, but it will NOT remove scratches. Their website even says "to fill and hide scratches".

To REMOVE scratches, you need an abrasive polish. SportsCarCare.com had another article on that: http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/faqs/polishing.asp

In addition, I think Zaino is a real pain to work with. Klasse and Menzerna FMJ are just as good with the end result, but easier to use. http://www.klassevszaino.com
Actually, Zaino has just come out with a polish in the last few months, Z-PC. I havne't tried it (Poorboy's fan myself), but I have read good reviews on Autopia. Z-5 will fill some micro-marring after a few coats, but don't expect a whole lot from it.

Zaino, a 'pain to work with'?:confused: Has to be the easiest thing I've ever used. I've tried AIO (as a pre-Zaino cleaner) and had horrible ghosting problems with it. Never tried FMJ so I can't comment on it.

Since it's supposed to be warm(er) this weekend, my new RL will get clayed, perhaps a light polish with SSR1 and at least 3 coats of Z-2 Pro.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'm in the process of getting my Ridgeline ready for winter. Not that Texas has brutal winters but I always detail my vehicles twice a year in the spring and fall. Two days ago I washed and then applied a coat of Klasse AIO (all-in-one) which is a cleaner/polish. I applied it in May as well and never put a sealer or glaze on it and it looked great throughout the summer (which are brutal in Texas!!).

Then, I applied a coat of Klasse SG and let it set up overnight. Yesterday I applied another coat of the sealant/glaze and now, 24 hours later, I am ready to apply the third and final coat. It already looks fantastic. Of course I have kept it in the garage the last few days between coats as once you drive the vehicle anywhere you must rewash or the SG will seal in the road dirt. The SG can be a pain if you put too much on or let it dry. I know the instructions say to let it set-up but I use the WOWO method (wipe on/wipe off). I do a panel at a time and wipe it off before I go to the next panel.

Guys at some of the detailers websites and at Autopia.com call this WOWO the "Bill North method". I guess he was the detailer who first experimented with the quick wipe off and found it was so much easier and the treatment lasted every bit as long as the recommended method.

I highly recommend these German Klasse products - and they work especially well with silver. If I had a black or very dark colored vehicle, I would skip the SG and go with a high quality wax, even though the protection would not last nearly as long as a polish/sealant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best site for wax reviews is www.autopia.org.
Those guys are really into this stuff and you can get alot of reviews.

If you want to remove scratches or swirls:
-Optimum Polish
-Poorboys SSR line
-Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Final Polish II

If you want your paint squeaky clean and shiny (just before you put on a wax)
Zaino Z-PC

For durability get Klasse or Zaino, if you want oyour vehicle protected for the longest time.

Depending on color of the vehicle you might not like Zaino or Klasse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts