Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just washed/waxed our Ridge, and found that wax is going to get on a number of plastic pieces on the truck (we installed rear mud flaps). So, it was all over 4 flaps, and especially on that 'sand paper' textured black plastic piece that sits up above the rear hatch.

I sucessfully used Simple Green (and an un-known Orange cleaner) to easily wipe off dried wax with an old t-shirt dipped in cleaner, although one really had to SCRUB on the rough piece that tops the trunk deck.

Truck came out looking great, and we finally saw the beautiful 'blue' glitter in the Nighthawk black 'pearl' they named the paint after.

We purchased our Ridge 10/31 and noticed it was built 10/05. Another thread mentioned better paint down the line after 9/05.

We also ended up standing on the front door jambs and in the bed to wax the roof...no wonder folks take their trucks to the car wash! But we didn't want bristle marks from the stiff broom-like brushes typical in these car washes, scratching the new paint!!!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I use the blue masking tape that's sold in home improvement stores (for painting) to avoid getting wax on surfaces that I don't want to get wax on. It's made to come off easily (light adhesive) and, for me, it's much easier than removing the wax. It comes in various widths. :)

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Thanks for this info, guys! I will use tape next time also, and try the Simple Green, although the dried wax from several months ago might be wearing off anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A white plastic (drafting style) pencil eraser also works well. Although I am going to try the blue masking tape idea next time I wax.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Try using a thin plastic flexible paint shield. You can get them at any store that sells paint. A thin one can fit into the cracks and crevices between the metal surface and the plastic parts. They are cheap and keep the wax from getting on things that it should not be on. There are also many rubber tipped tools for cleaning the wax out of seams so that you don't end up with white lines in the seams.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use Eagle One Nanowax, very easy on and off , it does not leave the white film on any of the black plastic or door and window seals, very similar to Zaino but a fraction of the price and time to apply. I also use their Wax As U Dry to get the water spots off or the dust from sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Boogity said:
I use Eagle One Nanowax, very easy on and off , it does not leave the white film on any of the black plastic or door and window seals, very similar to Zaino but a fraction of the price and time to apply. I also use their Wax As U Dry to get the water spots off or the dust from sitting in the garage.

I like the wax n dry also. may not last as long but much easier and no build up in small crevices etc. I would rather apply more often than take the time detailing all the nooks and crannies especially with all the plastic around the bed.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I had a black Pacifica for a couple of years and I waxed that quite a few times.....and it didn't seem to matter what I tried, I kept getting wax on the plastic parts of that car. Of course, if you look at a Pacifica, it has a plastic rock guard around the entire perimeter of the vehicle, it has a piece of plastic that runs the entire length of the vehicle, between the windows and roof, and then it has a plastic "spoiler". It was heck trying to wax that thing and not get wax on anything plastic (I will definitely use the tape idea on my Ridge).

Anyway, the places I got wax on where are real pain in the kiester. Seemed like every time it would get sunny out, that wax would come popping up. I seached on the net to find something that will get the wax off and make the plastic look nice. I tried a lot of different things and, it would look nice for about 2 or 3 days, but then the wax would pop up again. I ended up ordering some Mothers "Back to Black" detailing stuff. It made the plastic look nice plus, after 2 or 3 applications, all the wax in those spots was gone. It's a little hard to use than most of the detailing stuff, because after you put it on, you have to go back and buff it, but the extra work is worth it IMHO.

I tried some of that Meguliar's detailing stuff and, take it from me, it's crap. It doesn't remove the wax off of plastic parts of your vehicle (Like it says it will), PLUS, if your vehicle gets wet, the friggin' stuff runs down the side of your vehicle. Now how the heck is something supposed to protect your plastic from UV when it washes away with the first rain?!? It's junk....junk I tell ya! :mad:

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
Now this is some great info from all of you! We can lick the problem areas with simple blue masking tape or purchase a $7.00 bottle of Dried-On Wax Remover. Thank you all for the many solutions to a mess we all have to deal with. :)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I just ordered the Griot product over the phone and I will be happy to give a review in about a week. The guy on the phone was helpful with instructions for use - apply it, leave it on for a few seconds, wipe it off. Sounds too good to be true, but I will be real happy if it works like that. Thanks for the tip. I told him I saw the tip on the ROC and he was interested in the club. Maybe someone in the ROC site management could give him a call and get a new sponsor.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I waxed my truck and the wife's SUV and made a bit of a mess on the plastic (especially the SUV). Just got the Griot in the mail yesterday, and it promptly snowed and now the vehicles are so dirty I cannot even see where the wax was to try the product out. Timing is everything in life.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
I tried the Simple Green by itself. Didn't do anything for the dried wax, but I can use it to clean up after our bunnies (it's biodegradable).

I found some old stuff in the garage called "Black Chrome" in a small bottle. This worked GREAT! No rubbing or waiting, just apply with a rag and the trim was black again. So far, it's still black after a week or two, so it looks like it will last.

I also bought the blue tape and will use that during my next wax, which will be with Macquire's Gold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts