Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting conversation today at a bodywork supply store. I have been confused about what wax to buy, and it occurred to me they might have something different than the typical retail shops. Not really, but we did touch on the issue of products containing silicone, which apparently can be a problem. But I thought it was odd that they seemed to acknowledge that it is a good thing to keep away from silicone, but many of the products they had DID contain silicone:confused: .

ANYWAY... he asked me almost immediately what the build-date was for my RL. He claims you want to wait at least 3 months after the build-date before waxing your car. Apparently, the new paint is still gassing off, and if you seal it with wax or other protectant (silicone is bad) too soon, you can get blistering.

I thought of all of you here at the ROC, especially those who have had paint blistering problems. :(

Anyone hear a similar warning?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Phooey. You paint is baked at the factory. It's dry, stable and won't off-gas anything. I'd question a body shop's knowledge and skill level if they tell you that you need to wait 3 months to wax-they're living in the days of single stage paint. Now, touch up paint, parts painted at a body shop, etc. are a different story-they have to cure because they're not baked.

Detailing products typically fall into two broad categories-body shop safe and non-body shop safe. Non-body shop safe contain silicons which can contaminate and unpainted surface and cause fish-eyes. Body shop safe won't contain silicons.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The waiting time before you wax is only applicable IF the paint work was done by a body shop. The factory paint is baked on and ready for anything. The bodyshop's paint is usually not baked on and indeed, the thinners could be still evaporating while the paint is hardening. This was very true a long time ago with straight and acrylic enamels. Not so much any more with the lacquer based base coat/clear coat system.

Silicones in wax and in general are only "bad" to use in and around a body shop enviroment, or wherever someone is going to be painting. The silicone wax will cause what is known as "fisheyes" in the paint. Even if a silicone type wax or sealant is used on one side of the shop and a rag containing the wax residue is shaken, the dust particles could drift over to the car and ruin a perfectly good paint job. Any good body shop will clean and remove the wax before any work is done to the car. Try sticking a piece of tape to a freshly waxed car!

To summarize, if you get paint work done at a shop, wait a while before you wax. If its factory paint, you don't have to wait. Don't wax your car before you take it in for repairs. It won't help the paint be smoother....:cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scottIN and hiPSI, thanks for clarifying! I have been struggling to make a decision on which wax (or is it 'protectant') to go with, along with all the other... cleaners, polishes, ...claying...? geez, confusing for a layperson!

So, should I stay away from silicone based products? or does it really matter? I was working toward a decision on the Blackfire products, until I found that it was silicone based. I have been trying to stay away from silicone, but only based on my own [probably misguided] perception. I have been reading on www.properautocare.com about durability of synthetics vs. natural, etc, which would seem to make sense, but I don't want to cause a problem either. Are all synthetics based on silicone?

hiPSI... I'm still working toward pinstripes, to be applied prior to my first wax job. But it's starting to get WET here!

Thanks for any further advice you may have. I have read the thread on 'Which wax do you use?", but it seems to be a lot of opinions and not much explanation.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Farmguy,

I like synthetics because it lasts a lot longer than natural wax and I prefer not to spend all my free time waxing my truck. I've already had to wax a second time this year because the wax I used the 1st time didn't last. I used Nu Finish this time, which normally lasts at least a year (judging by water bead) on my previous vehicles.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
swampler said:
Farmguy,

I like synthetics because it lasts a lot longer than natural wax and I prefer not to spend all my free time waxing my truck. I've already had to wax a second time this year because the wax I used the 1st time didn't last. I used Nu Finish this time, which normally lasts at least a year (judging by water bead) on my previous vehicles.
yeah, nufinish rocks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts