Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I have recently purchased a 2015 Jayco X20E Hybrid Travel trailer. (haven't yet picked it up from the dealer yet) but the dealer talked me into purchasing a 6000lb equalizer hitch to go along with the trailer. After I agreed to this I read the statement in the owners manual about not using a WDH with the ridgeline.

I have read a lot of the older threads on here and many guys have very valid arguments to go ahead and use a WDH and others say not to use a WDH.

Here is the specs on my newly purchased travel trailer...

Unloaded trailer weight is 3580 lbs
Dry Hitch weight is 350 lbs
**these numbers DO NOT include the two propane bottles up front near the hitch and a battery installed

I will probably end up picking up the trailer from the dealer with the WDH installed but I am not sure If I should continue to use it or not.. Also should I just say I don't want the WDH at all ? any suggestions guys. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't get it. I recent bought a slightly larger jayco x213. Dry weight 4350 lbs. I won't say the Ridgeline loves towing it up and down the Rockies but a wdh wouldn't change that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got a larger Jayco 23B -- 4200# empty / 4500# loaded the last time I weighed it.

The first couple of short trips I didn't have a WDH. Didn't have any problems with sway, but I could tell the front end was very light. Purchased a Blue Ox Sway Pro and can tell a difference in how it drives.

My guess is you could probably get away without a WDH given how light that trailer is. I'd pickup a plain draw bar & ball if you don't already have one and give it a try. You could simply use the WDH hitch head without the bars, but that's a lot of extra weight on the truck receiver that you'd be better off without; especially since the RL receiver has a 600# tongue weight limit with or w/o WDH. Most trucks have two different values... My understanding is that the weight of the WDH should be counted against that. Though realistically, with a TT large enough to need a WDH, the 10-15% recommend tongue weight + 100# WDH would put you over the 600# receiver limit.

Note the following
Your dealer can't really set up the WDH. He can guess, but you'll need to check/change it when you have the truck and trailer loaded for camping. The only way to know for sure if everything is ok is to weigh your truck & TT at a CAT scale.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f37/how-to-weigh-your-tv-tt-3871.html

If you haven't already found it, here's a nice diagram of what a WDH does..
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14265335.cfm

Lastly, you did install a brake controller correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tow a 24' Cherokee camper or a 19' boat. I use a Equalizer 4way and LOVE it. Would not tow without it! Both trailers have elec. brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts