Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I new everything, I would think my wife would appreciate being married to some one that knows everything but thats a hard sell.

I thought that our trucks were one hundred percent Honda.
Just ran accross an article in a web site (Ridgeliner) not nearly as cool as this one.
It a release about the transmissions for the Ridgeline being built by Borg Warner. They have been in the business for a long time as suppliers to Mercedes and many US companies.I was just a little shocked that Honda outsourced this.

My daughter called me and told me her 2002 accord is slipping in 1st gear so maybe I should be comforted by the Borg Warner news. We will see how well Honda's 100,000 extended warranty on this transmission holds up she is at 65k.

Well now I will sleep better tonight, because now I know everything.

Steve

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ive had many Honda's and Acura's .. hands down this is the best transmission they have had in a Looooong time..borg or not !!! Even smoother than my MDX was.

So of course I have to say it..

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE ... WELCOME TO THE BORG COLLECTIVE

Sorry, I guess I reference TV and Movies too much huh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Now you can sleep better, Honda engines and trannies are made in the USA. Yes the 4wd system is BW (Clutch packs) also used on many other vehicles.
http://hondanews.com/CatID1008 (also check out 31 matching releases.
STEVE FROST said:
I thought I new everything, I would think my wife would appreciate being married to some one that knows everything but thats a hard sell.

I thought that our trucks were one hundred percent Honda.
Just ran accross an article in a web site (Ridgeliner) not nearly as cool as this one.
It a release about the transmissions for the Ridgeline being built by Borg Warner. They have been in the business for a long time as suppliers to Mercedes and many US companies.I was just a little shocked that Honda outsourced this.

My daughter called me and told me her 2002 accord is slipping in 1st gear so maybe I should be comforted by the Borg Warner news. We will see how well Honda's 100,000 extended warranty on this transmission holds up she is at 65k.

Well now I will sleep better tonight, because now I know everything.

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
Borg Warner supplies the rear differential for the MDX, Pilot and Ridgeline.

Honda builds the transmission in house. The Ridgeline transmission is exclusive to this vehicle. It is not currently shared with other models.

·
Registered
578 Posts
And Honda didn't build the NAV.
The wheels were probably cast by Enkei.

The point is, no car today are completely built in house. Parts come from a LOT of places.

·
Registered
274 Posts
BINGO " You got it " Out Sourcing Global Economy" The way it is to-day, stay alive and compete in the corp world, many factors to consider when the bottom line falls on the buck $$,we are no different.
shingles said:
And Honda didn't build the NAV.
The wheels were probably cast by Enkei.

The point is, no car today are completely built in house. Parts come from a LOT of places.

·
Registered
363 Posts
When I sold Hondas, I actually had one of our senior parts employees CLAIM that some of the parts had Ford logos stamped on them. I believe he stated the instrument cluster was one of those parts. I personally think this is a bunch of BS, but I guess you never really know with today's global economy. I guess it really doesn't matter just as long as the car lives up to it's reliability and reputation. Ok, well it does matter a little. If I buy a Honda, I want Honda parts (for the most part at least). One thing that I DO find funny is that the Saturn VUE Redline has a Honda V6 from the Pilot. If you look at that car, you find NO mention of ANY Honda technology in the vehicle. No reference to VTEC, no reference to Honda, NOTHING. Just goes to show that the big boys need to come to Honda for reliable engines. LOL!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
My Acura TL tranny was originally made in Japan. but after recall, it is now made in USA.

Personally, I think everything is fair games for a car company except for the engine. Just in time inventroy makes it hard to source from more than 1000 miles away. My take is that most Japanese cars parts are 80% made in America by Japanese companies with American factories.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Blue said:
Personally, I think everything is fair games for a car company except for the engine.
I agree. This is also the stance of many racing organizations.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also pretty sure the tranny IS from the Acura MDX per a review i had read several weeks ago. The article referred to it as the "well-known" tranny from the ACURA MDX. sure sounded good. and of course we all know the honda v-6. so really, it seems the ridge is mainly the "well-known" tranny and trusted v-6(although the v-6 in the ridge was tweaked for more torque).

·
Registered
491 Posts
I read somewhere that the cows for the leather are the same cows that they get Kobi beef from in Japan and the perforations are actually in the cow before slaughter and used for marinade baths. The original RL design did not call for perforated leather seats.

·
Registered
362 Posts
BorgWarner Drivetrain Group Powers the Honda Ridgeline
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Feb 07, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- BorgWarner will provide its electronically controlled all-wheel drive InterActive Torque Management II (ITM II)(TM) system to the 2006 Honda Ridgeline, the mid-size front-wheel drive-based pickup with which Honda Motor Co. officially enters the truck market.

The ITM(TM) system offers consumers better handling and fuel economy, improved security, and more flexibility than passive, mechanical all-wheel drive systems. BorgWarner also supplies a number of components for the vehicle's transmissions, and the clutchpack assemblies for the ITM(TM) system.

According to Honda, the Ridgeline has the best fuel economy in its class, with 21 miles per gallon on the highway and 16 in the city. The vehicle targets not only pickup owners but owners of sport-utility vehicles and cars who are attracted to its cargo capacity and car-like interior. The company estimates that it will sell 50,000 Ridgelines this year. Honda showcased the vehicle, which goes on sale in March, in high-visibility advertising spots during yesterday's Super Bowl.

The BorgWarner ITM(TM) system's patented technology electronically senses when a vehicle's front wheels slip and instantaneously transfers power to the rear wheels. The system individually controls the rear wheels to offer side-to-side or single-wheel torque management. BorgWarner engineers based the new system on their electronic innovations in rear-wheel drive systems for larger sport-utility vehicles first introduced in the mid-1990s.

Anticipating that consumers will appreciate the same security and handling features in their front-wheel vehicles, BorgWarner is adapting the electronic technology for minivans, station wagons, cars and crossover vehicles (sport-utility vehicles on car platforms).

"Since its late-2000 debut with Honda, the BorgWarner InterActive Torque Management(TM) system has become the benchmark against which other all-wheel drive systems are measured," said Cindy Niekamp, President and General Manager, BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems. "As a lightweight 'smart' system, BorgWarner's InterActive Torque Management(TM) all-wheel drive system improves fuel economy and reduces emissions as compared with today's mechanical systems. This is because our system is not engaged continuously, but only as conditions require it."

The ITM II(TM) system is fully interactive with other vehicle systems such as anti-lock brake and vehicle dynamic systems. Enhanced traction and stability provided by the new technology is an added benefit for off-road as well as towing applications.

Auburn Hills, Michigan-based BorgWarner Inc. (NYSE: BWA) is a product leader in highly engineered components and systems for vehicle powertrain applications worldwide. The company operates manufacturing and technical facilities in 58 locations in 17 countries. Customers include Ford, DaimlerChrysler, General Motors, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai/Kia, Caterpillar, Navistar International, Renault/Nissan, Peugeot, VW/Audi and BMW. The Internet address for BorgWarner is: http://www.bwauto.com.

Statements contained in this news release may contain forward-looking statements as contemplated by the 1995 Private Securities Litigation Reform Act that are based on management's current expectations, estimates and projections. Words such as "expects," "anticipates," "intends," "plans," "believes," "estimates," variations of such words and similar expressions are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties, many of which are difficult to predict and generally beyond the control of the Company, that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed, projected or implied in or by the forward-looking statements. Such risks and uncertainties include: fluctuations in domestic or foreign automotive production, the continued use of outside suppliers by original equipment manufacturers, fluctuations in demand for vehicles containing the Company's products, general economic conditions, as well as other risks detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Cautionary Statements filed as Exhibit 99.1 to the Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2003. The Company does not undertake any obligation to update any forward-looking statement.

SOURCE BorgWarner Inc.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
jeffiam said:
Also pretty sure the tranny IS from the Acura MDX per a review i had read several weeks ago. The article referred to it as the "well-known" tranny from the ACURA MDX. sure sounded good.
It's not the same transmission. What Kodiak said is true and he would know. Don't believe everything in print, reviewers can make all sorts of mistakes from not researching the facts well enough. A good source of info is from Honda's tech papers here:

http://hondanews.com/catID2138?view=t&page=1

·
Registered
362 Posts
Honda Begins Construction at Georgia Transmission Plant
$100 million facility will employ 400, assemble automatic transmissions

Honda Precision Parts of Georgia, LLC (HPPG) today marked the groundbreaking of its new $100 million transmission plant with the announcement that it will advance transmission assembly operations from fall 2006 to spring 2006. At full capacity, HPPG will employ approximately 400 associates and produce up to 300,000 automatic transmissions per year.

"Today, as we 'shift into gear,' and celebrate the start of construction, we also celebrate the start of a relationship with our new neighbors in the State of Georgia," said HPPG President Nobu Sanui. "We hope that the strong foundation we build at this spot will symbolize the strength of our relationship with the people of this community."

The 250,000-square-foot facility will be Honda's 13th major plant in North America. Reflecting Honda's strategy to base powertrain production near vehicle production for synchronous assembly, the plant will initially support production of Honda Odyssey minivans and Pilot SUVs at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, LLC (HMA) in Lincoln, Ala., 60 miles west of the Tallapoosa plant.

"The name of this new company may be Honda Precision Parts of Georgia, but the key to our success will be Honda 'precision people' of Georgia," said Akio Hamada, president and CEO of Honda of America Mfg. and head of manufacturing operations in North America. "Already we have seen that the people of Georgia have the enthusiasm, the work ethic and the capability to make this new company successful."

Hiring for production positions at HPPG will begin later this year. Training for newly hired associates will be coordinated through QuickStart, a service of the Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education.

Honda announced plans for the Tallapoosa, Ga., facility in November 2004 as part of a North American Powertrain Strategy, which includes significant investments to add production of high precision gears at a Honda's Ohio transmission plant and key engine components at HMA.

As the new Georgia plant begins production, responsibility for the supply of transmissions for the Alabama plant will transfer from Honda's Ohio operation to HPPG.

In Alabama, HMA started construction last month on a $70 million expansion that will add 100 new jobs to machine additional engine components at its existing engine plant operations. HMA began operations in 2001 and, today, has the capacity to produce 300,000 vehicles and V6 engines per year. HMA employs more than 4,400 associates and has a total investment exceeding $1.2 billion.

Honda currently has an annual production capacity of one million automatic transmissions in the U.S. The company has manufactured more than nine million transmissions in America since starting production of automatic transmissions at Honda of America Mfg.'s Anna, Ohio, Engine Plant in 1989.

Including the new transmission plant in Georgia, Honda's investment in North American production, R&D and marketing operations will total more than $8.5 billion. Using domestic and globally sourced parts, Honda now has the annual capacity to produce 1.4 million cars and light trucks in North America at five auto plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

Honda began operations in the U.S. in 1959 with the establishment of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Honda's first overseas subsidiary. Honda now employs more than 30,000 associates in North America

·
Registered
460 Posts
vertrkr said:
It's not the same transmission. What Kodiak said is true and he would know. Don't believe everything in print, reviewers can make all sorts of mistakes from not researching the facts well enough. A good source of info is from Honda's tech papers here:

http://hondanews.com/catID2138?view=t&page=1
by the way vertrkr, i saw a tsb about honda insight concerning static on AM side of radio....it was a loose wiper motor connection causing it. thought of your situation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
"Outsourcing"

If you buy *anything* made outside the US, then you are as guilty of "outsourcing" as any American corporation. And I suspect a lot of folks on this board have foreign-made cars, tvs, shoes, etc.

"People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones..."

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bob Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car ( MADE IN CANADA) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Bob decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in AMERICA. :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
350 lb weight set for $119

About 15 years ago, I was at a weight-lifting supply store to get some dumbels. I noticed they had a set of iron plates and a bar, totalling about 350 lbs for $119.00. I also noticed that the weights and the box said "Made in China" on them. That's when I realized that any low-tech manufacturer was doomed.

Think about it, they could ship *350 pounds* of dead weight all the way from China and still make a profit for the distributor and the retailer, while selling it for 119 bucks.

The thing that actually made this possible was the development of the superfreighter. It was not some diabolical plot by greedy industrialists.

The moral of the story is you had better get a good education, or develop some skill that can't be imported. Free trade provides great opportunity, but it requires great personal responsibility. You can't just take for granted that you will be handed a good job. You have to make yourself valuable in a world where unskilled and semi-skilled labor is dirt cheap.

By the way, I'm an engineer working for a semiconductor company. I make about $250,000 a year (salary, options, etc.). I only have a BSEE degree and I'm not a manager. So, good jobs are out there, you just have to prepare yourself to get them.

PS - I lived in my van and worked my way through college, so stop whining :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts