Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Weak brake/tail lights and turn signals

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  wjfyfe 
#1 ·
This is not a complaint but rather a little FYI to maybe be a lil more attentive when you are slowing down or turning with traffic behind you. On a recent vacation with our kids , they were following us most of the time and our son made an off hand comment that he found our tail/brake lights and turn signals to be kinda weak where somebody from behind may possibly not notice our slowing down or turning.

Again, just a lil friendly FYI.

Bill

#2 ·
Thank you for "sounding the alert," @wjfyfe. I installed LED backup lamps, but I did not do anything about the turn signals or brake light bulbs.

#3 ·
@wjfyfe Is this a G1 or G2 comment, I believe you have a G2, but just want to confirm, if so I'll move to correct part of the forum

In your profile you stated 2019 Honda Ridgeline (Obsidian Blue)

Moderator Note: Thread Moved

#4 ·
Ironically, I was behind a new Ram 1500 yesterday and noticed the brake lights were inadequate. The two thin rows of LED's on each side don't emit much light.

Some Ford Explorers have a yellow turn signal in the middle of very bright red LED brake lights. If the brake lights are on, it's almost impossible to see the turn signal flashing in the middle.

#5 ·
Maybe the 'frosted' finish is a bit dim to certain folks. For every single lighting equipment on the exterior of the vehicle to be outfitted on a vehicle, must pass SAE standards so DOT approvals can be made. The Top mounted brake light is LED in the G2 correct? I thought it was rather bright.

I used to love the full LED lamps on the Hyundai Genesis a Azera ('06-'11). The front LED turn signals on the Kia Amanti were one the brightest I have also seen.

#6 · (Edited)
The Top mounted brake light is LED in the G2 correct?
Yep, all OEM brake lights on the 2G are LED.

Pics of lighting are always a bit of a joke, but FWIW in bright Texas sun (IMO the off/on contrast is much greater viewed in person):

I might be mistaken but I believe that the OEM brake LED's are all surface mount on a circuit board (not lending to easy 'upgrade').

#11 ·
@CentexG2 : From your pictures, that is pretty bright IMO. I have not had a privilage of being behind a G2, but I have been behind the G1 (mine actually) and it is similar with many other SUVs, trucks and cars on the road with filament bulbs. I still think the OEM LEDs, esp on brake lights, are stupid bright.

Or their heads were buried in their phones. They are so far gone, some of these people, that even at night time I cannot get their attention with high beams (flashing them). It is just amazing how inattentive many drivers are these days.

#8 ·
I had a flexible LED tail light strip installed on my Ridgeline. I didn't want to hassle with re placing LED bulbs because I've had too many bad guesses on lumens of LED replacement bulbs.

FWIW - LED tail light strips cost less than $30 on eBay, and installation is under $100 at custom stereo installers.

#10 ·
I had a flexible LED tail light strip installed on my Ridgeline.
I've considered those, but must admit my OCD can't cope with the loss of one or more LEDs in an array, which seems to be inevitable with those aftermarket strips sooner than later.

Reactions: zroger73
#9 ·
This is not a complaint but rather a little FYI to maybe be a lil more attentive when you are slowing down or turning with traffic behind you. On a recent vacation with our kids , they were following us most of the time and our son made an off hand comment that he found our tail/brake lights and turn signals to be kinda weak where somebody from behind may possibly not notice our slowing down or turning.

Again, just a lil friendly FYI.

Bill
Did you either check the brightness personally or check another RL?

#12 ·
Many of us have installed a tailgate light bar for additional lighting.

Reactions: tmz
#14 ·
Don’t know why it hasn’t been mandated to have the rear signal as orange.
That is one thing I like with the Putco light bar, amber turn signals.

Reactions: tmz and MrClam
#15 ·
I turn on my Turn Signals at least 50 - 100 yards before I make my turn and apply my brakes. I figure that if the person behind me is on their phone or distracted, at least they will notice it before I slow down. Of course, there are always the jerks that toot their horn at me because I did not get out of their way fast enough!

#16 ·
I routinely have drivers honk at me because they had to slow down so I could turn into my driveway off of a two-lane road. I like to think I'm a reasonably intelligent and analytical person, but it's simply beyond me what they expect me to do. Turn in on two wheels as to not increase the duration of their trip by ten seconds?

This one almost hit me a couple of years ago because she was paying attention to her phone and not the bright red car in front of her.

#21 ·
No. The factory brake lights have non-replaceable LED's. To increase their brightness, you'd have to find a way to increase the voltage to them, but they may not last one application if overdriven.

Additional brake lighting would be the easiest and most economical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.