Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 black edition
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the weathertech roll up tonneau cover? I thought I was going to get a diamondback se, but the weathertech one seems to be aluminum slats with a vinyl covering and a lot cheaper. It is a but unclear how it installs, how easy it is to remove or how secure/waterproof it is. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
14 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the weathertech roll up tonneau cover? I thought I was going to get a diamondback se, but the weathertech one seems to be aluminum slats with a vinyl covering and a lot cheaper. It is a but unclear how it installs, how easy it is to remove or how secure/waterproof it is. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
I don’t have any experience with this particular roll-up cover (the WeatherTech). However, you’re on the right track. I have a Tacoma with a Pace Edward’s and it rolls-up into a canister that sits inside the front of the bed (below the rails). I didn’t want that configuration on the RL because the bed is so short as it is and the canister takes-up a lot of space.

I ended-up going with the BAK Revolver X4s. It’s a hard cover, rolls-up on top of the bed rails, that along with the locking tailgate secures anything in the bed when closed. It’s not waterproof (some water will get in), but it’s better than being wide open.

I’ll paste some photographs below. Cheers, V

1620780034630.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don’t have any experience with this particular roll-up cover (the WeatherTech). However, you’re on the right track. I have a Tacoma with a Pace Edward’s and it rolls-up into a canister that sits inside the front of the bed (below the rails). I didn’t want that configuration on the RL because the bed is so short as it is and the canister takes-up a lot of space.

I ended-up going with the BAK Revolver X4s. It’s a hard cover, rolls-up on top of the bed rails, that along with the locking tailgate secures anything in the bed when closed. It’s not waterproof (some water will get in), but it’s better than being wide open.
That looks great! Two questions.
1. Cost.
2. How much water are we talking about?

·
Registered
2021 black edition
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@V2500. From the photos, it looks like the aluminum slats are close together, does it provide reasonable security? How does the latch operate? I had read that many of the bak flips and similar styles can be opened with a hanger.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
14 Posts
@V2500. From the photos, it looks like the aluminum slats are close together, does it provide reasonable security? How does the latch operate? I had read that many of the bak flips and similar styles can be opened with a hanger.
When closed, it’s hard and ridged. There’s a wire under the trailing edge (I’ll have to take a photo of it tomorrow) that you pull-down from inside the bed after you open the tailgate to unlatch and then you can roll it forward. The edges are secured by a piece of aluminum that rolls inboard between the fingers on the cover. I’ll post two photographs below that hopefully will show you how they engage. Compare them and you should be able to see what I’m talking about.

As for the security, I guess it’s like everything else — it will keep your things out-of-sight and if a determined thief wants to break-in they’ll find a way. I don’t have a key for the cover on my Tacoma, the tailgate doesn’t have a lock, and I’ve never lost anything from it in 150,000-miles. I hope to be able to say the same thing about this one in another 150,000-miles.

I’m in aviation and everything in aviation has a trade-off. This thing lets me see out of the rear window when open, it doesn’t take-up space in the bed (no canister), and I didn’t have to take-out mortgage to pay for it. Could I have found one that was more secure? Probably. But for my purposes — this one checked all of my boxes. Cheers, V

Open/Unlocked:

Closed/Locked:

·
Registered
2 Posts

I’ll paste some photographs below. Cheers, V

View attachment 413122

View attachment 413123

View attachment 413124
View attachment 413126

View attachment 413127

View attachment 413130

View attachment 413131

View attachment 413133
Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
14 Posts
That looks great! Two questions.
1. Cost.
2. How much water are we talking about?
1. ~$1,100
2. It rained a lot here yesterday and there was a little water at both front corners. Not super wet, but wet enough so I know it’s NOT water tight. I wish I had take a photograph so I could just post it — but I didn’t think to snap one, sorry. V

·
Registered
2021 black edition
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. That is very helpful. As I said, originally the Diamondback was a given, but now I'm really considering the bak revolver. It might be slightly less secure but also less expensive and still very functional. It looks really good on the RL. Looks like I have some thinking to do.

·
Registered
2021 black edition
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When closed, it’s hard and ridged. There’s a wire under the trailing edge (I’ll have to take a photo of it tomorrow) that you pull-down from inside the bed after you open the tailgate to unlatch and then you can roll it forward. The edges are secured by a piece of aluminum that rolls inboard between the fingers on the cover. I’ll post two photographs below that hopefully will show you how they engage. Compare them and you should be able to see what I’m talking about.

As for the security, I guess it’s like everything else — it will keep your things out-of-sight and if a determined thief wants to break-in they’ll find a way. I don’t have a key for the cover on my Tacoma, the tailgate doesn’t have a lock, and I’ve never lost anything from it in 150,000-miles. I hope to be able to say the same thing about this one in another 150,000-miles.

I’m in aviation and everything in aviation has a trade-off. This thing lets me see out of the rear window when open, it doesn’t take-up space in the bed (no canister), and I didn’t have to take-out mortgage to pay for it. Could I have found one that was more secure? Probably. But for my purposes — this one checked all of my boxes. Cheers, V

Open/Unlocked:
View attachment 413175

Closed/Locked:
View attachment 413176
Thanks again for your help. I've got one more question. Does it require drilling or cutting the bed to install? I didn't see install instructions on the website for the ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
14 Posts
Thanks again for your help. I've got one more question. Does it require drilling or cutting the bed to install? I didn't see install instructions on the website for the ridgeline.
No drilling or other modifications to the truck required — the instructions say to remove all 4 upper tie downs (and not to reinstall them) and install the cover utilizing those holes and reuse the screws (T45) you removed.

I tried to reinstall the tie downs over the cover brackets —the rear ones worked (the rear tie downs CAN be reinstalled over the brackets). However, the forward tie downs CANNOT be reinstalled as the photos below will show you.

Rear tie downs reinstalled:

Forward tie downs CANNOT be reinstalled (these pictures ended-up in reverse order — it’s too much trouble to rearrange them here) — but you can see why they can’t be reinstalled (because of the flair in the cover bracket between the screws).

NOTE: that aluminum (silver) cover bracket is buried under the cover and cannot be see when in use — unless you climb into the bed as I did to take such a photograph!):

·
Registered
2021 black edition
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. The photos clearly illustrate your point. I could probably live with the upper front tie downs and not notice.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,343 Posts
No drilling or other modifications to the truck required — the instructions say to remove all 4 upper tie downs (and not to reinstall them) and install the cover utilizing those holes and reuse the screws (T45) you removed.

I tried to reinstall the tie downs over the cover brackets —the rear ones worked (the rear tie downs CAN be reinstalled over the brackets). However, the forward tie downs CANNOT be reinstalled as the photos below will show you.

Rear tie downs reinstalled:

View attachment 413186

View attachment 413187

Forward tie downs CANNOT be reinstalled (these pictures ended-up in reverse order — it’s too much trouble to rearrange them here) — but you can see why they can’t be reinstalled (because of the flair in the cover bracket between the screws).

NOTE: that aluminum (silver) cover bracket is buried under the cover and cannot be see when in use — unless you climb into the bed as I did to take such a photograph!):

View attachment 413188

View attachment 413189

View attachment 413190
You can grind down a bit of the center portion of the tie-down where it comes in contact with the rail mounting bracket.. When it is done, not that much material really needs to be removed and you won't be compromising the integrity of the tie-down.

Many owners of Bakflip and Undercover tonneau covers have done this mod.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,663 Posts
FWIW, their rigid cover didn't require any more than removing the bolts and reinstalling them with the rail. It snapped right on. It took me less than 1/2 hour on my 2020.

·
Registered
2021 black edition
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FWIW, their rigid cover didn't require any more than removing the bolts and reinstalling them with the rail. It snapped right on. It took me less than 1/2 hour on my 2020.
Do you mean rigid or rugged? I don't seem to see a cover called rigid.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,663 Posts
Well, it looks like they changed the name of it since I purchased about 7 weeks ago. Same cover but now they call it "Alloy". They have "dressed up the info on it too. More pictures than before.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I bought a bed cover to keep things I need to haul in the bed dry. Not really concerned about security, so I went with a vinyl one I bought off Amazon. North Mountain. It was far less expensive that many others and it seems to be pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
14 Posts
You can grind down a bit of the center portion of the tie-down where it comes in contact with the rail mounting bracket.. When it is done, not that much material really needs to be removed and you won't be compromising the integrity of the tie-down.

Many owners of Bakflip and Undercover tonneau covers have done this mod.
I’d tend to agree with you — they could be ground-down. But I’ve lived with a Tacoma for the last 14-years that only had rear lowers — so I’m not sure I’d know what to do with eight. I will try to live with six for awhile and see how I get along. The two removed tie downs are safe in the “plastic box” in the middle of the spare tire for now. Thanks for the suggestion! Cheers, V

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E PACIFIC PEWTER
37 Posts
I bought the Amazon North Mountain has been 4000 miles road trip got nervous with are ripple over the cover though some roads with crosswind over 50mph but it hold the Velcro are tight. When roll up it not interfere with the Honda tent, there are some water come in under heavy rain or car wash not significant amount a cup or 2 of water . Security is an issue if someone try to breakin/cut with a knife .so far it Served it purpose keep the truck ride quiet on the road .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked around a lot and ended up going with a tri-fold that looks VERY much like the weathertech tri-fold. It had free shipping, was quite easy to install with common hand tools and is made by Lomax. I purchased it from Auto Accessories Garage and shipping was about 2-3 days. There is a very small leak when going through the car wash and gully washer rain storms. I believe it occurs where the bed rail has a small 3/8" or so groove on both sides near the front of the bed (not sure what its purpose is). I am very pleased with the cover and it is easy to remove in needed. Have a look at:
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts