Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time transporting two dirt bikes for a three hour drive north in my Gen 2 RTL-E. Returning in the dark, I had several people go out of there way to brake check me or get behind me and repeatedly flash their brights at me. My brights were not on, but I think the two bikes ( combined weight at about 500lbs, mostly towards the rear of the bed ) tilted the truck bed down enough to raise the nose and point the headlights up into other drivers mirrors & eyes.
Is there any type of adjustable rear lift / airbag that help alleviate this from happening again when hauling my bikes? Any ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Didn't think 500 lbs would make such a big change in headlight aim.some but not that much.
See if your lights are not aimed a little high already. And with the weight in the bed makes them point up more. Most of the newer headlights are super bright anyways.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
The LED projectors are very bright, I get flashed on a regular basis with no weight in the back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, 500lbs isn't that much, but most of the bikes weight is distributed pretty far back in the bed. That seems to be the issue. I'll try to post a picture since I still have one bike back there.
As far as how bright the headlights are, I have not been flashed for bright headlights until I had the two bikes in the back. I've had the truck for around a month +.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The LED projectors are very bright, I get flashed on a regular basis with no weight in the back.
Probably because they are aimed too high from the factory.

LED headlights on loaded pickup trucks is a problem because regulations do not require auto-leveling of the headlights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As you can see, most of the weight is behind the rear wheel / suspension.
Looking under the truck this morning, I see no place for any airbag, etc. Maybe an air adjustable rear shock? (BTW, the truck drove fine w/ the two bikes back there.)
Or maybe self leveling headlights? (That sounds $$.)
Edit: Does the 2017 Pilot have self leveling lights? If so, think that could be a possible fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Contacted the dealer & they said no self leveling headlights are available for the 17 Ridgeline, no comment about rear air adjustable shocks.
This is a real thorn! I take bikes out every Saturday and w/ DST, it is dark more often on my long trips home.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You'll just have to pack-on some extra lovin', you know grow that muffin-top, start a flab-alanche, add-some laundry to you're washboard abs. Sorry I meant to say get your riding partner to get fat. ;)

All kidding aside I think they are lifting due to the bikes, cause just accelerating alone can inadvertently get in the mirrors of vehicles in front of me. I'm not much help but I know where you're coming from.

PS I just noticed the reflective tape on the side of your tailgate. Great Idea! I hope its OK for me to steal it :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
While on my fall fishing trip I had my fishing rod rack mounted in the trailer hitch with my fish coffin aka cooler in it. Constantly was flashed by on coming traffic. It is annoying but when I popped the LED high beams in their eyes they stopped flashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts