Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it make any sense or cause any problems to carry extra weight in the bed of the Ridgeline for traction? I used to carry 2 or 3 seventy pound sand bags in my Dakota. I wouldn't want the weight distribution to effect the traction control system. We get (just last Thursday) several feet of snow here and I wonder if it would make a difference. So far the Ridgeline has had no problems in the snow but some extra weight may give added traction.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
No extra weight should be needed when driving within the limits. The VTM plus FWD bias of the AWD system works wonders in the snow. Not to mention there's still quite a bit of heft over the rear of the truck.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Ridgeline with HPV Package in Pearl White
2,081 Posts
I agree no additional weight needed. Actually it could be detrimental for this specific truck as your stopping distance will increase. I even shovel the bed of snow to keep the weight down.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,746 Posts
I normally carry 600-800 lbs. I'd hate to have to unload my normal cargo just to navigate in snow. After 2 winters in the NW, I have to say that it's the best handling vehicle I have ever driven in snow, ice and rain.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
No extra weight needed for the Ridgeline like the other trucks require.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
This ins't a 2wd drive pickup truck. This is a AWD snow machine...:act035:

Any extra weight is just a waste of gas!

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,117 Posts
If you have to carry a load for work or something, then that's fine. If you're adding weight to try to increase traction, it's not necessary at all, as has been said. Just make sure you have good tires on her, and she'll be just fine. This is no normal truck. It can literally go places that 4WD's can't (within reason). My buddy got mad this weekend when we were up on the mountain going to a friends house and his Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel couldn't make it up an icy/snowy hill when my RL walked right up it. He had to back down the hill twice and get a run for it even in 4WD. I was standing there waiting for him at the top of the hill with my arms crossed and a sh*t-eaten grin on my face.

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
If you have to carry a load for work or something, then that's fine. If you're adding weight to try to increase traction, it's not necessary at all, as has been said. Just make sure you have good tires on her, and she'll be just fine. This is no normal truck. It can literally go places that 4WD's can't (within reason). My buddy got mad this weekend when we were up on the mountain going to a friends house and his Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel couldn't make it up an icy/snowy hill when my RL walked right up it. He had to back down the hill twice and get a run for it even in 4WD. I was standing there waiting for him at the top of the hill with my arms crossed and a sh*t-eaten grin on my face.
Funny how eight to ten thousand pounds can screw up a good icy hill climbing day!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
This ins't a 2wd drive pickup truck. This is a AWD snow machine...:act035:

Any extra weight is just a waste of gas!
hey you were more then welcome to have come to my house and shoveled out the 1/2 of snow piled in the bed!! i tried opening the tailgate and gunning it but that didnt work :act002:

·
Registered
315 Posts
It was 80 degrees on Saturday and 88, clear & beautiful on Sunday in my neck of the woods over this last weekend. Not much chance for the snow test..... :unwrap:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,544 Posts
Heh! Good story. He obviously needed a 3500 Diesel. That wimpy 2500 D couldn't cut the mustard. :D

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've run 3 winters now with no additional weight and haven't missed it. With AWD and VTM, it drives like it's got tracks instead of wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.