Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks T Mac. Good article to get the blood boiling! Here's another one for you.
Plug-In Hybrids Get Up To 250 MPG
CBS News Online

We wouldn't want to persue this option. It may make sense! ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
T - Mac you look SPIFFY in your new look, quite corporate...

My new finding on my Ridgeline after 2100 miles:

1/ In town driving: 16.3 to 16.5 depending on milking it after the pump clicks off or not.

2/ Mixed, town and country driving in the mountains of Western NC:
17.7 to 18 mph.

3/ Interstate driving in SC, no mountains and comparatively flat: 20.5 mph.

This, beats the major gas guzzlers, BUT IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR HONDA. Add 4 mph to these figures and you will have something and people
betting themselves to your door. 20.5 city, 22 mixed and 25 on the interstate.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I just can't take T-Mac seriously anymore when I see that picture! It cracks me up! (but I like it better than the other one :D )

·
Registered
275 Posts
meanmachine19 said:
I just can't take T-Mac seriously anymore when I see that picture! It cracks me up! (but I like it better than the other one :D )
Yea, TOO MUCH COWBELL in the other one!!! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was seriously torn on this subject. I wanted a truck but also a vehicle that gets good gas mileage. The Ridge came closest in gas mileage but still a long way to go.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm sorry but that article is so painfully biased that it's really not worth comment. Consider the sources carefully before you believe everything you read.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ruffles said:
I'm sorry but that article is so painfully biased that it's really not worth comment. Consider the sources carefully before you believe everything you read.
definately biased.................and unfortunately, definately accurate. the big three are realing and bush is trying to help bail them out by lowering standards that benefit the consumer and the environment.i only wish honda had included the cylinder displacement they use in the ODY in the rl also.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ruffles,

What are you saying???

:confused:

A lot of us are trying to give honest answers to the qiestions, and I believe that my milage reports on this thread are accurate... ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't deny that the big 3 are having some problems but the article is very political and anti-Bush. It's one thing to discuss fuel efficiancy. It's another to say Bush is trying to destroy the world with his energy policy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ruffles said:
I don't deny that the big 3 are having some problems but the article is very political and anti-Bush. It's one thing to discuss fuel efficiancy. It's another to say Bush is trying to destroy the world with his energy policy.
I wouldn't say he is trying to destroy the world, but I can certainly say he isn't trying to improve the US stance on environmental protection. Many of the policies that Bush has either sponsored or supported have definitely not been pro-environment. And this one is a definite step in the wrong direction. The people who should be getting protection here are those commercial users who must use large vehicles to perform business not end user consumer vehicles which people buy just because with no concern to the impact these vehicles are having on the environment. I bought the Ridgeline partially because of the fact that it was ULEV2 rated, and if they make a Hybrid version I will trade this truck in without a question to move to the hybrid version.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to bash hybrids or anything, but people should do a little research on how enviro friendly the battery packs of these hybrids are. What happens every seven years. Where do all these batteries go. I have read a few articles that don't think hybrids will be the solution in the next ten years. Partly because they are so expensive and partly because of all the batteries that will be sitting in land fills.

Plus for that kinda of cost and complexity shouldn't the hybrids get 100mpg or something worthwhile. Didn't the original honda civic crx hf get like 49mpg without being a hybrid.

Kevin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Out of curiosity, has any one tried a cold air kit on their Ridge yet? If so, is gas milage savings worth mentioning? Or even better, has anyone changed out their exhaust to help the engine breath a little better? Either one is suppose to increase gas milage to some degree. I changed both in my Avalanche 1500 and was getting almost 20 mpg on the highway as long as I followed the speed limit. City mpg was a different story. It always sucked!

·
Registered
133 Posts
What is a cold air kit?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
hkmail1 said:
Not to bash hybrids or anything, but people should do a little research on how enviro friendly the battery packs of these hybrids are. What happens every seven years. Where do all these batteries go. I have read a few articles that don't think hybrids will be the solution in the next ten years. Partly because they are so expensive and partly because of all the batteries that will be sitting in land fills.
Actually if you check, the batteries are recyclable and do not get replaced every 7 years anyway. They are less of a problem than standard car batteries are. And in 10 years I will bet that you still see hybrid drive trains in cars, just not necessarily in gasoline vehicles. There is no real reason not to recapture this wasted power. And the only reason they are expensive now is because it is early in production, they do not have the volume yet to reduce the cost, also because the makers can charge a premium for them and people will buy them still.

hkmail1 said:
Plus for that kinda of cost and complexity shouldn't the hybrids get 100mpg or something worthwhile. Didn't the original honda civic crx hf get like 49mpg without being a hybrid.
The original Civic couldn't pass safety requirements that are now required and probably couldn't pass emissions requirements. Both emission reduction requirements and safety requirements have increased the weight of the car and the efficiency by which the engine can run. Also consider that the original Accord was smaller than the current Civic. When you can spew all sorts of junk out your tailpipe you don't have to worry about driving the systems to clean that air up. And yes for the cost and complexity one would hope they could get to around 100mpg, but it isn't going to happen overnight, people who buy into hybrids now are funding the research which will improve the technology for tomorrow. Plus they are doing something to help the environment now. Also remember not all pollution problems are equal so the longterm impact on the environment must be considered not just the momentary impact caused by disposal of waste.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just looked up the CRX HF was last made in 91 and it got 56mpg. Didn't the Insight come from the CRX??? (don't know but sure looks like it) I really wanted the CRX si when I was younger, but couldn't afford the insurance.

I haven't looked into the recycle stuff about the batteries that much and I realize that new technology takes a while to get working and then to bring the cost down, but if in 1991 the CRX HF was getting 56, 15 years later with the whole hybrid tech and lighter materials and advanced design etc etc etc it is only getting 61, that isn't too impressive in my book. Also who is going to buy a 8 or 9 year old hybrid car for $4000 or what ever the current cost of the car is and then turn around and put in another 4 - 5 thousand to replace the batteries. I agree with some of the articles I have read in car and driver and other places that say that the hybrid won't be the solution in the near future. They are working on diesel engines that cn get 80mpg or alternate fuel sources.

Now don't get me wrong it would be great if our ridgeline got 61 mpg, but with two little kids, yard work, honda dirt bikes, we need something alittle bigger than the insight, so I guess I am stuck with my 19mpg RL.

·
Registered
460 Posts
man, the things that want to fly out of my mouth concerning this issue.....mpg is an issue only because the american public has been sold out by folks some of us voted for. pollution is no longer a main issue because automakers can make low emmission vehicles....example is the ridgeline. this bad boy is ultralow emmission rated. outstanding. it could be done on most cars and trucks if others would follow im sure....the issue is we are forced to examine alternate power because, yes, power is wasted in combusion engines, but also because we are being bled by big oil courtesy of our president and his oil family and friends. we should have seen this coming. Cheney steps down from halliburton to run with Junior. Junior wins.Junior goes to war with Irag. Halliburton is in Irag. unreal...............oh yea, and hybrids are cool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can we get over the point that George W Bush is the sole reason we are driving gas burning cars and they are all rich and horrible oil people.

Maybe we could just drill in Alaska and get all the oil we will need for quite a few decades and then we wouldn't be dependent on the middleeast, wait who is stopping us from drilling up there, hmmmmm.

Kevin

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bush never intended on drilling in alaska. that effort was pathetic and therefore not legitament. that was b.s. from day one. more money is made by keeping supplies tight and demand high........this started long before Bush.
but things are the way they are and not a thing has been done. some of us struggle with high energy bills and while the u.s. sends billions overseas along with jobs that are stimulating the very economies that are now using more oil and causing u.s. citizens who are supporting those economies to pay extremely high energy/oil prices. no reserves are used for american consumption even though supply is tightened by opec, no relief is sought out on our behalf. we are only asked to give life and labor, literally. the american consumer has been carry this slowed economy for years now and its time the american consumer got its payment. lets start with leadership committed to americans and american energy instead of oil price manipulation and big oil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts