Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am intensely in the market for a new or new to me 4wd/awd truck. I have always purchased vehicles between 3 and 5 years old. The one and only time I have bought new is the 2012 Toyota Rav4 for my wife, (she still drives and loves it). I have always believed that time for recalls, warrantee fixes and bugs to be worked out can do nothing but help me pick the right tuck, or rather for the right truck to pick me. I have always had a mechanic i trust to look over the vehicle. I have been researching Honda Ridgeline, GMC Canyon, Ford Ranger and Toyo Taco. However, I have always partial to full sized trucks and have been a loyal GM for the most part, save for a few trysts with Ford which were ok, not great but ok. I am heavily leaning to the Ridgeline, I attributed my intense attraction to the Honda Ridgeline to me getting older, or rather more mature, (im only 53). BUT after reading the "2G Problems, Fixes & TSBS." section of this G2 forum I am really gun shy. Man that TSB 18-025 admits to problems with machining process of the fuel injector and fuel rail manufacturing. And how asinine is it for Honda to only cover high pressure fuel pumps and fuel rails and injectors for 36mo/30k miles!! Each and every Honda Owner who had to pay to replace those injectors out of their pockets should receive a refund WITHOUT having to file suit against the company. Or in the alternative offer them a 1500 dollar credit toward anew or used vehicle when they decide to trade.
I will be watching you closely Honda, We all will!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
No disagreement on Honda and how they should stand behind their product and pay for fixes needed from manufacturing defects, even if the warranty has past. Having said that, they have covered expenses for individuals on a case by case basis.

Also, go take a look at some of the forums for those other manufacturers. They all have problems. I don't think Honda is any worse than other manufacturers on stuff like this. You could probably argue for days on who might be the worst, but GM would certainly be near the top of the list with some of the cover ups they've been involved with.

·
Administrator
14,018 Posts
I am intensely in the market for a new or new to me 4wd/awd truck. I have always purchased vehicles between 3 and 5 years old. The one and only time I have bought new is the 2012 Toyota Rav4 for my wife, (she still drives and loves it). I have always believed that time for recalls, warrantee fixes and bugs to be worked out can do nothing but help me pick the right tuck, or rather for the right truck to pick me. I have always had a mechanic i trust to look over the vehicle. I have been researching Honda Ridgeline, GMC Canyon, Ford Ranger and Toyo Taco. However, I have always partial to full sized trucks and have been a loyal GM for the most part, save for a few trysts with Ford which were ok, not great but ok. I am heavily leaning to the Ridgeline, I attributed my intense attraction to the Honda Ridgeline to me getting older, or rather more mature, (im only 53). BUT after reading the "2G Problems, Fixes & TSBS." section of this G2 forum I am really gun shy. Man that TSB 18-025 admits to problems with machining process of the fuel injector and fuel rail manufacturing. And how asinine is it for Honda to only cover high pressure fuel pumps and fuel rails and injectors for 36mo/30k miles!! Each and every Honda Owner who had to pay to replace those injectors out of their pockets should receive a refund WITHOUT having to file suit against the company. Or in the alternative offer them a 1500 dollar credit toward anew or used vehicle when they decide to trade.
The Colorado/Canyon have had A/C and transmission issues.

The Ranger has had five recalls already for 1) tail/stop/turn/reverse lamp failure, 2) shorted HVAC blower motor, 3) faulty seat belts, 4) incorrect shift position indicator, 5) transmission slips out of park. The latest complaint is a low-speed shudder/vibration caused by the 10-speed automatic transmission.

The Tacoma has transmission issues.

You just have to roll your dice on the types of problems you think you can live with. :)

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I am heavily leaning to the Ridgeline, I attributed my intense attraction to the Honda Ridgeline to me getting older, or rather more mature, (im only 53). BUT after reading the "2G Problems, Fixes & TSBS." section of this G2 forum I am really gun shy. Man that TSB 18-025 admits to problems with machining process of the fuel injector and fuel rail manufacturing. And how asinine is it for Honda to only cover high pressure fuel pumps and fuel rails and injectors for 36mo/30k miles!!
TaterHawk62 don't let the "2G Problems, Fixes & TSBS" section scare you off if the Ridgeline feels like the best fit for your needs. Keep in mind that there are thousands and thousands of happy campers for every person who has a problem and vents a little on the forum.

IMHO every auto manufacturer, including Honda, is engineering/building new vehicles with pretty thin margins in terms of quality. Nobody 'over engineers' or 'over builds' components like in the past, every part is calculated to get the job done and nothing more. Any imperfection in manufacturing or construction puts that component over the line into the failure zone. Combine that with the tremendous complexity of modern vehicles and it's not unusual for any vehicle to have a problem crop up. It happens, no way to prevent it.

My wife and I have owned 1 Nissan (2000 Maxima), 1 Volvo (2006 V70) 3 Toyotas (1977 Celica, 1980 Corolla, 1983 Camry), 2 Audis (1997 A4, 2006 A4), and 5 Hondas (1990 Accord, 1993 Accord, 2012 Ridgeline, 2016 Accord, 2018 Ridgeline). The Nissan was the worst by a long shot, three oxygen sensors replaced out of warranty and the stereo was removed and sent to Clarion for repair four times before I replaced it with an aftermarket unit. Had a few minor issues with all the others over the years, nothing major just typical stuff. The Hondas have been the most trouble free by a wide margin. The Hondas have also had the highest trade in value, by a wide margin.

I'd suggest driving a Ridgeline if it 'feels' right and you are happy with the deal, buy it. If you have any concerns about problems after the 3/36 warranty, consider an extended warranty. There's a couple of Honda dealerships that sell extended 'Honda' warranties on-line for a lot less than what the dealership will offer you.

Best of luck with whatever vehicle you choose.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think that all the midd size trucks are a decent buy. I feel there's too many concerns with all the new vehicles, we are in the age of lighter, faster, and still needing better fuel economy.

But Honda like many other manufactures are leaning heavily on they're past reputation in order to correct what's going on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Rangers are under scrutiny currently for a very noticeable vibration at low speeds, and Ford is under criminal investigation and class action for fudging MPG figures.

I'd wager RL has actually been the LEAST to hear major issues about.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well. If anyone was to ask me. I d tell them to steer away from the ridgeline. Poor build quality. Questionable reliability in the long term.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Choices are limited in the midsize truck segment. If that's what you want, the Ridgeline or Tacoma are probably the best options IMO, but everyone has their own opinions. You could be happy or very sad with any brand depending on what happens with your particular vehicle. That's just the way things go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought my G1 Ridgeline without a warranty, but I would not purchase a G2 without one. Certified as well as adding a Honda Care warranty would be best, imo. If I was to buy a Toyota, I would go with the 4Runner over the Tacoma. In September 2019, Toyota sent letters to Tacoma owners in certain states regarding frame rust thru for 2011 thru 2017.
Owners must get their frames treated or be eliminated from any future frame replacements.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Choices are limited in the midsize truck segment. If that's what you want, the Ridgeline or Tacoma are probably the best options IMO, but everyone has their own opinions. You could be happy or very sad with any brand depending on what happens with your particular vehicle. That's just the way things go.
As I have related earlier where it many times depends on the person...........................

I have shared this story before so will give the abbreviated version here. Our neighbor purchased a new brand X car. Over time he was always complaining about it because it was experiencing constant problems where the car was spending more time in the shop then being driven. Enter another neighbor who grew weary of this fellow's constant complaining, he liked the car, so he offered pennies on the dollar for it. The owner took him up on the deal, it is now several years later and the new owner is still tickled with his purchase, constantly bragging how it has been one of the most reliable vehicles he has ever owned, which, by the way, has not been back to a shop since purchase.

In the mean time the original owner has since purchased a brand y car, in which is now spending more time in the shop then being driven with the owner constantly complaining.........................

In following about this injector issue, it appears that if it happens that it is only a one time occurrence with no repeating of the issue once the injectors have been replaced. More recently, there appears to be an newer part number injector being installed which apparently has yet to reveal any problems so far. Over all looking at the big picture, using this injector issue as an excuse not to purchase a Ridgeline seems pretty lame, IMO.

Bill

·
Registered
754 Posts
I bought my G1 Ridgeline without a warranty, but I would not purchase a G2 without one. Certified as well as adding a Honda Care warranty would be best, imo. If I was to buy a Toyota, I would go with the 4Runner over the Tacoma. In September 2019, Toyota sent letters to Tacoma owners in certain states regarding frame rust thru for 2011 thru 2017.
Owners must get their frames treated or be eliminated from any future frame replacements.
Bought my 2007 in 2011 from a dealer. It was “certified”, but I ultimately negotiated away the CPO status for a lower net price; such was my confidence in Honda, having owned a 2002 CRV for 9 years at that point.

Ironically, during the would’ve-been CPO warranty period a transmission line broke and it spewed fluid, but saw it & shut it down immediately, so it did cost me some $ (don’t remember how much). Dealer said they’d never seen that issue happen before - a fluke.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As I have related earlier where it many times depends on the person...........................
That can be true as well, but I think that is fairly rare. My family used to buy Chevrolet. Had several in a row with constant problems and they finally quit buying Chevrolet. Then my mom after many years ended up really liking the malibu and bought one. Had several dumb head scratchers with that car too and no more Chevrolet again. There's even more reasons not to buy GM, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls, but I think if you look hard enough you will find no manufacturer with completely clean hands. So you kind of have to just weigh out what's important to you and make the best choice for you and just take your lumps and bumps as they come.

My wife has a Nissan Rogue. It was probably not even our fourth choice when we went to look at small SUVs for her. But after riding and driving several, it was either that or the Rav 4 and the Nissan just had the better interior and very similar ride and drive, even a bit more comfortable. The CRV at the time just didn't measure up to either one. Not sure what was going on with honda then, but we drove the accord as well, because she had a 93 accord before and it was great. The accord we drove was just bad. We didn't like the ride and drive at all, not to mention the look of the car was odd.

Anyway, there are probably just too many variables and too many reasons things turn out the way they do. So you just do the best you can and keep on trucking. I wouldn't necessarily count out any particular vehicle any more, with the caveat I wouldn't buy a GM vehicle on principle alone. Any company that gets bailed out by the government and then covers up a potentially fatal defect, and gets off with a fine, I just don't think I should be patronizing such a company.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow guys,
Thanks for all the very insightful and knowledgable replies! This Forum is one of the main reasons I am so attracted to the Ridgeline. wjfyfe (Bill) you sound familiar were you on the Star Motorcycle forums years ago? Anyway, I am so impressed with the truck (Ridgeline) except this direct injection thing. How can you not expect the injector to get clogged with carbon when it is exposed in the combustion chamber? Anyway I know the Engineers are smarted than I will ever be and as you said there are thousands of satisfied Ridgeline owners! Kevo you are so correct about GM, I have had a chevy Tahoe for 10 years. it is 07 and only has 88k miles I bought it in 2010 we only drive it on Sunday to church and when we get the 4 grands. I love that old hunk but it has things being recalled or broken so much the list would astound yall, lol. It is not my daily driver and I am ready for a truck that gets decent mileage as well as reliable. So I am probably going to continued to look for the one that speaks to me. lol. I have even been astounded at some of the problems Toyo folks have been having.
Thanks again for the wisdom folks.
Nath

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,371 Posts
So I am probably going to continue to look for the one that speaks to me. lol.
That's the thing to do. It might not be a RL, no worries, having options is good. :)

1 - 20 of 143 Posts