Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this group after I purchased my RL with the expectations of showing it off as a proud owner as well as learning more about it from others with more experience. I never imagined two months into ownership I would be pulling the plastic off the carpet near the rear doors and finding water soaked up into the carpet pad. This just blows me away. I showed my local Honda service manager this morning and he acknowledged my issue. A quick search on his computer for "2021 Ridgeline Water Leak" on a private Honda site gave conformation that this is a known issue along with steps on how to resolve it. I am glad Honda has acknowledged this, I just really hope that the 2 days he has my vehicle scheduled for is all that is needed to fix this. Believe me, I have my doubts as I have read the various posts from others experiences. Time will tell. I don't fully regret selling my 2003 Tundra for this RL, but wow, not a great first impression.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
701 Posts
I am glad Honda has acknowledged this, I just really hope that the 2 days he has my vehicle scheduled for is all that is needed to fix this. Believe me, I have my doubts as I have read the various posts from others experiences. Time will tell. I don't fully regret selling my 2003 Tundra for this RL, but wow, not a great first impression.
If Honda took this seriously, they would fix the issue on the assembly line. Seems they simply need to change the way they apply sealer to the body seams. Not very efficient to let dealers go through all of the work to apply the sealer after delivery when it would be so simple during assembly.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If Honda took this seriously, they would fix the issue on the assembly line. Seems they simply need to change the way they apply sealer to the body seams. Not very efficient to let dealers go through all of the work to apply the sealer after delivery when it would be so simple during assembly.
I totally agree. When the service manager was showing me the notes and photo's he was looking at from Honda, the "fix" looked like something my 8 year old could do with Elmer's glue. I realize that I won't actually have to look at the finished product once the carpet and rear seats are back in, but it certainly doesn't give me the warm and fuzees that the problem will actually be resolved. I'll be asking for updates and photos every day the dealer has my vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
36 Posts
I totally agree. When the service manager was showing me the notes and photo's he was looking at from Honda, the "fix" looked like something my 8 year old could do with Elmer's glue. I realize that I won't actually have to look at the finished product once the carpet and rear seats are back in, but it certainly doesn't give me the warm and fuzees that the problem will actually be resolved. I'll be asking for updates and photos every day the dealer has my vehicle.
Interesting. Do you recall what it is that they do? Perhaps we (the community) could come up with a preventative procedure to seal up the potential seams.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. Do you recall what it is that they do? Perhaps we (the community) could come up with a preventative procedure to seal up the potential seams.
The issue is well documented on this site. Just search for water leak and you'll be amazed. They basically strip the interior in the back and add a putty or sealant around all the seams of the body. My dealer indicated that they are first going to pressure test the cabin making sure they find the leak point.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
434 Posts
So I guess they have decided its easier/cheaper to just seal everything inside the cab now rather than yank the bed out and stop it at the source.
This has been my thought for some time. If the water intrusion is from the outside, in, wouldn't it be better for them to just remove the bed liner and seal the back of the cab? This makes sense to me unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
434 Posts
This has been my thought for some time. If the water intrusion is from the outside, in, wouldn't it be better for them to just remove the bed liner and seal the back of the cab? This makes sense to me unless I'm missing something.
I would even go as far to say that if I ever came across this issue on my truck I would remove the bed liner myself and seal the back of the cab myself before I ever took it to a dealer to resolve. Just because of the horror stories I've heard on this form with regard to poor quality work from dealers. I wish the OP all the best, looks like he may have found a dealer whose knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
36 Posts
The issue is well documented on this site. Just search for water leak and you'll be amazed. They basically strip the interior in the back and add a putty or sealant around all the seams of the body. My dealer indicated that they are first going to pressure test the cabin making sure they find the leak point.
Yes, I know. Was wondering if you had more specific details.

How is he going to pressure test? A smoke test?

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I know. Was wondering if you had more specific details.

How is he going to pressure test? A smoke test?
I don't have all the details. I just simply scheduled the appointment today. I'm sure I'll find out a lot more when I bring my truck in on Wednesday.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good luck mine is ”fixed” but still in pieces at the dealership as corporate has become involved in a potential buy back . I took delivery on the 16 of September and drove it for a total of six days. To attempts at repair and this Wednesday will make 30 days total undrivable.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good luck mine is ”fixed” but still in pieces at the dealership as corporate has become involved in a potential buy back . I took delivery on the 16 of September and drove it for a total of six days. To attempts at repair and this Wednesday will make 30 days total undrivable.
Did they supply you with a loaner during this time you have been without your ridgeline?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Because i will need to replace this vehicle in a market where competitors trucks are selling for thousands above msrp.
[/Q
Because i will need to replace this vehicle in a market where competitors trucks are selling for thousands above msrp.
After all the Years this has been a problem, it is incredible to me that Honda hasn’t resolved this problem at the factory where it starts. How many years does it take to get the attention of their QC personnel?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm wondering if the fact that I park my RL in my garage, and in a parking garage at work... is potentially hiding water leak issues.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts