Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive a 21 BE with water issues. Twice for repairs, back in today for new carpet because of water. One Ridgeline owner repaired his by taking off rear wheels, pulling removing coverings in wheel well and did his own caulk job. First time the dealer said they found places that had no caulk and caulked, the next time same repair as they seemed to have missed some. I doubt you can repair it from the inside by removing seats. Cant stop a leal in the roof by caulking the inside. Ill let all know how this turns out.

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
There's a poll to vote whether or not you've found water under the carpet.

I'm SO glad my '21 doesn't leak (so far). I don't think there's anything Honda could do to retain my business if I got another lemon. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm wondering if the fact that I park my RL in my garage, and in a parking garage at work... is potentially hiding water leak issues.
I've thought the same thing, but I wash my RL regularly...both with my garden hose and automatic car washes which use high pressure. I've never found a drop of water under my carpet and I check periodically.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline RTL-E in Radiant Red Metallic II
41 Posts
I had never found any water under my carpets either, until I got a tonneau cover. Then the right rear started to get wet under the carpet. I took it to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they said the rear window was leaking around the edge. They apparently removed the rear window and resealed it all around. I got the truck back on Saturday and checked under the carpets and both sides were soaked. I called and asked if they had dried out the carpets and the service consultant I worked with said they did not send it to the detail shop to dry the carpets. A bit of an oversight I would say, especially since I told them several times to take their time and do it right (I had alternate transportation). In any case, I have the rear carpet propped up and drying out at present. We have rain coming in starting tomorrow for the next several days, so I will continue to monitor for any new accumulations of water and will take the truck back to the dealer if I find any.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Black Edition
4 Posts
I’m jumping threads here (from the Poll thread) as I have a nearly identical situation as the OP. 2021 BE built in August, purchased in Sep right off the truck pretty much. Water on the driver’s side. Took it In yesterday and the service rep was familiar with the problem and he assigned it to the tech that had worked on the other 2021 with a leak. Got a call today that they were able to find the bad seam and sealed it. They are keeping it an extra day to dry everything out. We shall see 🤞

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own a 2012 RTL that has been a great vehicle and now is going to my son. I’m contemplating trading in my other vehicle (Tundra) as I don’t need a big truck anymore. The more I read about this water protrusion issues the more I get leery and think about holding off. I’ve always been a fan of Honda and have always loved the Ridgeline and I’m wondering just how big a problem this is???

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
434 Posts
Best of luck to you. It's good to hear that some of the most recent post the members have found that the dealership is aware. At least that is some progress.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I own a 2012 RTL that has been a great vehicle and now is going to my son. I’m contemplating trading in my other vehicle (Tundra) as I don’t need a big truck anymore. The more I read about this water protrusion issues the more I get leery and think about holding off. I’ve always been a fan of Honda and have always loved the Ridgeline and I’m wondering just how big a problem this is???
I traded in my Tundra for my 2019 RTL and I don't regret it. I really like the Ridgeline. Luckily I haven't had any issues other than a rattle with mine. 🤞

With things the way they are currently, if I still had the Tundra, I think I would wait 2-3 years and see what the next gen Ridgeline brings. Given the current economy and the issues people have had with their Ridgeline's, I would probably play it safe and stay in the Tundra longer unless I had a really compelling reason not to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Massive problem. I regret buying. Hold off. Lots of reports of 2021s leaking. 5 years of this and no solution, tells you all you need to know. Worse is the treatment I have received from a Honda.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
178 Posts
I would even go as far to say that if I ever came across this issue on my truck I would remove the bed liner myself and seal the back of the cab myself before I ever took it to a dealer to resolve. Just because of the horror stories I've heard on this form with regard to poor quality work from dealers. I wish the OP all the best, looks like he may have found a dealer whose knowledgeable.
I still maintain that one would probably do just as well if not better to take it to a body shop that was adept as opposed to a dealership that has to look to Honda corporate for direction. .

Just find a good one and tell them what you want done and get a price and go from there, warranty or not.

It would NOT bother me to pay out $600-700 out of pocket if needed be just to have it not leak. .
Perhaps an aftermarket warranty would be better than the "Honda warranty"

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline RTL-E in Radiant Red Metallic II
41 Posts
Just a quick update on my situation: I propped up my carpets to let them dry, and it's been raining off and on for the last couple of days here in the PNW. I haven't seen any new water accumulations on the bare floors in the back since getting my truck back last week, so I'm hopeful that the rear window really was the problem. I just wonder how many other dealers don't bother to dry the carpets once they've done all of their leak checks, and it's causing some folks to thing the leak is still present. Food for thought....

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, day two of my RL being in the shop. I called them this morning as I was hoping for them to be accommodating with my request to keep me well informed. Yes, its only been 1 day, but I really like updates in this situation. Sounded like today was actually the first day they got around to working on it. Most of today was going to be disassembly to access the area of the leak and hopefully some pressure tests with soapy water. My dealer informed me this was likely going to take longer than the 2 days they originally told me. I can appreciate this because I really want it done right. I asked for him to follow up with some photo's and I still haven't seen any. This was about 5 hours ago. But again, this is just me wanting constant updates. Dealer did say that depending on where the leak is coming from, they may need to send the truck to an autobody shop. Not sure what this means, but I guess there are just some things the dealer can't do. Not sure if I'm happy with this idea or not, but time will tell. If I receive any additional updates I'll provide them as they come. Side note: My loaner car is a bare bones 2021 civic. I like the fuel economy. The LKAS is not as nice as it is on my RL. Oh, and the Brake Hold feature is awesome! Why on earth is this on a $20k civic but not my $45K Ridgeline??? Come on Honda!!!

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Dealer did say that depending on where the leak is coming from, they may need to send the truck to an autobody shop. Not sure what this means, but I guess there are just some things the dealer can't do. Not sure if I'm happy with this idea or not, but time will tell.
Dealers typically don't handle repairs that require much skill such as glass replacement and body work - they sublet out that type of work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its been a while since i posted on my water intrusion problem. Honda corp as predicted says they repaired the vehicle even though i still cannot pick it up because outsourced glass shop buckled the headliner while "repairing" back window. Its on backorder with no eta. Corporate doesnt return phonecalls unless you get animated. Talked to a dealer rep today who said they would buy back my vehicle for 2000 less than what i paid for it. Really? However i shouldnt be surprised that honda dealerships would be willing to take advantage of a bad situiuation in an effort to extend their profit margins even more. They get reimbused by honda for repairsto a new vehicle and make 2000 by selling a "low milage" defective vehicle in a crazy market. Not to mention the 3000 profit they will make on my 2019 or the profit they made on the sale of this drainboard to me. Tomorrows trip to the stealership im sure will be interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So I received some photos from my dealer this morning showing bubbles from their soap test and I gotta say I'm a little concerned as well as confused with what they are doing and found. I'm having a hard time figuring our where they are doing this work, but best I can tell it looks like they found a leak on the passenger side bed rail that they are sealing. Based on the research I've done I have a pretty good feeling that this will not address my issue at all. I can't even imagine how water leaking in the bed rail can find its way to the cab and under the carpet. Has anyone else that has had the dealer address this issue on your RL have this area sealed?

Attachments

21 - 40 of 79 Posts