Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed and no one reason has been found to explain all the water leaks. I've had my RL for a month and already discovered a stinky interior and the passenger front carpet soaked. Had to take the truck to the dealer for the passenger air bag, so they did a free leak test. The result? They say i need a completely new sunroof assembly - a 10 hour job and at least $1100! I just bought the truck. There is no way i'm paying to have that done right now! They assure me the leak is from the sunroof, so I'm hoping that some of the fixes from here on the forum will come in handy. I'm not a big fan of going to the dealer for repairs. They seem to just want to replace all the parts they can and hope that the fix gets caught up in it.

I do plan on calling the seller. He was very thorough with everything that may have been an issue with the truck during the sale, so it strikes me as odd that this would be left out. The truck wasn't his daily driver, lived in a garage and only had about 6,000 miles put on it in the last 3-4 years.

Any thing else other than reading the forum? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've been trouble free with my RL for five years. Others here have more experience with RL troubles, but I'd be looking more towards a plugged or disconnected or perhaps cracked drain tube. Still looks like a big job in the manual, but others may have some tricks to tackle this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
There diagnosis does not make complete sense... if you pm me your email I can send you the pdf file for a service bulletin for leaks. I've dealt with in my 06

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There diagnosis does not make complete sense... if you pm me your email I can send you the pdf file for a service bulletin for leaks. I've dealt with in my 06
Thanks for the help! I'll be tackling it this week, hopefully!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I'd second the drain tube as a first look. There have been posts by others regarding a sunroof drain tube had fallen off the driver's side forward drains in the "tray" beneath the whole sunroof mechanism, and water was making its way down the driver's side A-pillar to the interior.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Do a thorough search on this site for a fix with your sunroof issue. I had a leak on the front firewall sealer that got me new rugs under warranty. Some one had a leak on the roof rail attachment points. Sealing those points fixed his problem. First find the source of the leak and then fix it sooner than later. A mouldy interior can cause health issues as well as a stink that can be hard to remove. Spray the affected area with vinegar for a cheap solution.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar leak in my wifes pilot, it was caused by a clogged A/C drain tube. Im not sure if you are in a part of the country where it is warm enough to use the ac, but might be worth a shot. The water was in the passenger side footwell, and there was a sloshing sound coming from the dash

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 RTL with a sunroof I keep parked outside on a slope with the front angled down slightly toward the passenger side. This will be important as to why ONLY the passenger side would be wet. After any significant amount of rain, the passenger floor would be wet UNDER the rubber floor mat and not on top of it. Under the dash (visible by removal of the glove box) was dry. I tracked the water by removal of the kick panel (the black plastic clip holding it to the floor actually unscrews) and found it coming down the A pillar. After saturating the windshield with a hose and carefully avoiding the roof for an extended period of time, the A pillar/kick panel area remained dry. I waited about an hour to be sure, and then did the same thing with the SUN ROOF. After about 10 minutes, water started trickling down behind the kick panel.
If you open the sunroof all the way, you will see a tray along the front edge that collects water and shunts it into drains at the front sides. The opening of the drains is about the same size as a Sharpie pen. There was no obvious obstruction of the drain, but the tray was full of water. I took an extended 'blow gun' that has a rubber tapered tip on it, and connected it to my compressor's air line. I place the tapered tip into the drain and put about 30 PSI to the drain hole. Water immediately started dripping out from the front fender at the rocker panel and the tray at the front of the sunroof emptied... I also blew down the driver's drain hole for good measure.
SO if you get wet carpet and have a SUNROOF, put the drains high on the list for why...

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Life and the flu have brought this task to its knees. I know that my sunroof drain tube is clogged on the passenger A pillar. This may be silly, but where does it drain? I've briefly removed the mudflap, but couldn't find a drain hole. Do i need to remove the entirety of the wheel well?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flipped the glove box out and down and found the drain tube. Not clogged. But this time i noticed some crud just below the VTM computer. I can only assume this is where the leak is originating. So I may just remove the computer to get a better view, maybe apply some sealant to the seams and wait for the next rain. I can see where the water is, but necessarily where it's coming from. I really don't want to go to the body shop, but I've had windshield fog on warm mornings that says I have moisture probs. Anything else?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The crud is definitely the culprit! Just behind the VTM computer, there's a ton of crud. Poured water down the sunroof drain again and found that most exited out the mudflap, but some wound up here on the floor. Still no idea where the actual leak is though. Do you think i can figure this out without removing the dash? Please say yes!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So, on the off chance someone will reply to this thread other than myself (gotta get that thread count up somehow), I think I have it sorta kinda figured out, but need some direction. When water is poured into the sunroof drain tube on the front passenger side, most exits through the mudflap and after a brief delay, some puddles on the floorboard by running down the seam of the wheel well. Do I just need to silicon the mess out of that seam? Sorry to be so thick. This is my first go around with leaks and leak fixes. Am I actually fixing it or just sending the water somewhere else I'll have to fix later?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to empathize. We had a similar problem on our Pilot, but did not catch it until the entire interior floor was saturated. It was a mess. Everything had to be removed and thoroughly dried out. So don't feel too badly about your situation -- you are way ahead of us in catching it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The truck wasn't his daily driver, lived in a garage and only had about 6,000 miles put on it in the last 3-4 years.
That's probably why they didn't know about the leak. My coupe has a leaky sun roof, due to either a clog in the sunroof drain pipe or a cracked drain pipe. I ran a long length of weed eater string down the pipe and it helped take some of the clog out as it in flows better, but if it is for some reason parked outside in heavy rain, it will fill up and then leak into the car. It's not a problem for me though... as it's usually not in the rain, even in the PNW.

Hope you can find the real cause and get a fix.

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I have everything fixed and finally put my truck back together. The first issue was that the passenger side sunroof drain tube wasn't seated well in the black nipple that drains the water outside of the truck. After making sure the tube was clear, I simply pushed the tube all the way in (about a half inch of travel). After that, the leak slowed down, but was still present. I bought the silicone and LIBERALLY applied it to the seam directly under the drain tube as far up as I could. I poured a couple of Nalgene bottles worth of water into the sunroof tray and watched all of it drain through the mudflaps and never had any moisture show up on the floor board. !!!! Am I thrilled to have sorted it out (with this forum's help)? Absolutely! Am I confident it fixed forever? Nope. Murphy's law keeps showing it's rear end, so I guess time will tell. Anyway, thank you all for your patience and your information.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Happy to hear you have the issue solved. Hopefully if it returns you can dab a little more silicone without dismantling everything.

I had a Buick Regal with T-Tops that leaked. I had it in the dealer 13 time during the first year. I pointed out exactly where it was leaking, but of course that was impossible because it's designed to not leak there. Water can't even get into that area. Day after the warranty ran out I picked up a tube of black silicone, ran a bead and never saw another leak for the next 13 years.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Found my leak today. The cause was a passenger that left their window down...and of course, it rained :crying:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts