Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my RL when they first came out. Now 192,000 miles. Just went on 1000 mile (oneway) trip to pickup my grandson's Lexus330. I needed to tow it back to have transmission on it looked at. It was under warrantee and went out. Never ever owned a vehicle like this one. Mother hummed right along pulling heavy car behind me. I've pulled my boat countless miles with her. Doubt I will ever trade her off. Just wanted to share my love for my truck.

safe travels all

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Congrats on nearly 200k miles. What have you done that may have contributed to having such reliable transport with that many miles?
Have you strictly followed the maintenance minder, had the dealer take care of service or done it yourself?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Congrats on getting good truck. All kidding aside. MAINTENANCE, MAINTENANCE IS NUMBER ONE.
I still have a Baby. 74k on a 2010 RTL.
I change oil at 50% and 15%. Averages out to about using 5/20 semi-synthetic and OEM filter. Have change All fluids twice now. All Honda.
Would not hesitate to check oil,gas and drive to Florida with out any worries. (Course I'm knocking on wood).?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Great stuff, flyingbutcher. I, too, would have no trouble hopping in my '07 with 156k miles and driving for whatever distance. My wife's Highlander would likely get the nod for such a trip being that it is more roomy, quieter on the highway and gets better fuel mileage, but the truck would handle it with no issues. I've had it all over the eastern time zone. And yes, maintenance is KEY. I do all my own maintenance and change the fluids more often than what is called for in the owners manual. She likes fresh fluid. This year, I will likely end up replacing the ORIGINAL brake rotors. I think 10+ years is enough time out of them even though they still definitely have meat left on them.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
My 2007 is also on the same rotors, about to hit 157k miles. Have only changed the brake pads once. She hums along frankly better than when I drove it off the lot new 10 years ago. It's like my mechanic says, "If you take care of it, it'll take care of you." The only thing the dealer has ever done is the tow package install, and today replaced the front airbags per recall. I have no doubt the 2nd generation will hold up as well.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Great stuff, flyingbutcher. I, too, would have no trouble hopping in my '07 with 156k miles and driving for whatever distance. My wife's Highlander would likely get the nod for such a trip being that it is more roomy, quieter on the highway and gets better fuel mileage, but the truck would handle it with no issues. I've had it all over the eastern time zone. And yes, maintenance is KEY. I do all my own maintenance and change the fluids more often than what is called for in the owners manual. She likes fresh fluid. This year, I will likely end up replacing the ORIGINAL brake rotors. I think 10+ years is enough time out of them even though they still definitely have meat left on them.
Ian have you had your TB changed yet? I've got 92 k on mine and keep putting it off. Mine runs great too, don't want to trade it in yet!

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Yes the Gen 1 is a great truck, every time I drive mine it makes me smile. Think I'll drink a glass of Guinness today with a toast to Gary Flint and his design team.
I will raise a glass of single malt to the team today as well.
I have raised many'a frosty beverage and a few bourbons to the creators of my truck.

Ian have you had your TB changed yet? I've got 92 k on mine and keep putting it off. Mine runs great too, don't want to trade it in yet!
Yes, I had it done a few years ago at 110k miles. TB, water pump, tensioner, seals and coolant ran me $700 at a dealer. Many will charge much more than than and try to sell you things you don't actually need. If you haven't replaced the spark plugs or the radiator yet, I would suggest you do those at the same time as the TB. Yes, you'll be putting $1500 or so into it, but that's WAY better than buying a $40k+ new vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys, I am a little mechanically inclined and I have never followed any scheduled repairs. Just me. I have changed oil myself. Had rear end oil changed once, transmission fluid twice. Put two sets of brake pads on myself (didn't turn rotors), replaced plugs and timing belt water pump at 168,000. I know most of you are in shock or whatever, but I don't think most of the scheduled repairs are all that necessary-just my personal thoughts. Replaced the door lock once. Thats it guys, no other repairs at all. Drag raced my boat for years and hauled it all over with my RL, never a problem. Moving to Tennessee and will be pulling a 67X12 haul back and forth (1400 miles one way) to put my shop equipment in storage while house is being built. Had a 01 Accord I put over 200,000 miles on and same story. Gave it to my grandson. Looked at new RL and just not my cup of tea, so I'll drive the wheels off current one.

safe travels all

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Usually TB and all other related parts. Water pump,belts etc are done at the 105k service. Which normally includes all filters, valve adjust and other things. It's the most expensive service,but your doing it every 105k so the expense is is spread out.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Well guys, I am a little mechanically inclined and I have never followed any scheduled repairs. Just me. I have changed oil myself. Had rear end oil changed once, transmission fluid twice. Put two sets of brake pads on myself (didn't turn rotors), replaced plugs and timing belt water pump at 168,000. I know most of you are in shock or whatever, but I don't think most of the scheduled repairs are all that necessary-just my personal thoughts. Replaced the door lock once. Thats it guys, no other repairs at all. Drag raced my boat for years and hauled it all over with my RL, never a problem. Moving to Tennessee and will be pulling a 67X12 haul back and forth (1400 miles one way) to put my shop equipment in storage while house is being built. Had a 01 Accord I put over 200,000 miles on and same story. Gave it to my grandson. Looked at new RL and just not my cup of tea, so I'll drive the wheels off current one.

safe travels all
I know the fluids used in the RL are robust and long-lasting. Several stories have come up about people who have never changed tranny fluid or VTM-4 fluid and are still going. However, I find that these fluids and the associated time with doing the changes are small prices to pay to know that my truck is running with fresh fluids at all times. Is my normal maintenance overkill? Absolutely. But, it keeps me feeling good about the health and welfare of my truck. I could let the fluids go MUCH longer without ever seeing any negative effects, but I just choose not to. Only thing I'm hurting is my wallet. $50-60 worth of tranny fluid and VTM-4 fluid every two years or so is negligible, though. To each, their own.

Reactions: ROBSRTL

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
IanRTL, as I have said before. I also have changed ALL fluids (all OEM).
About twice now, 74k. Maybe not necessary, but makes me feel good. And I hope my baby likes it.?

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
IanRTL, as I have said before. I also have changed ALL fluids (all OEM).
About twice now, 74k. Maybe not necessary, but makes me feel good. And I hope my baby likes it.?

Same here. Since I've owned it (2010 at 75k) power steering has been done twice, brake fluid twice, coolant was drained and filled at the TB service (and topped off since then), transfer case gear oil twice, rear diff three times and tranny fluid multiple times. I did one drain and fill with Z-1 right after I bought the truck and then DW-1 became available. I did a full changeover at 90k miles by doing four drains and fills while driving several miles in between. Since then, I've done three drains and fills up to the 156k miles I'm at now. I have absolutely no fear in putting my 3 month old in his car seat and driving anywhere in my old girl.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
One important thing IanRTL says. About his tranny fluid changes (flush). Drain and fill, drive a few miles. 3-4 times.
Most of the time you don't have to do this if RL is maintained on a regular basis. But if purchased used: that should first thing to do, unless dealer or present own can proof that RL has been maintained with Honda fluids in it.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
^^ Agreed. Tranny fluid should be drained and filled every 30k miles or so of normal driving. I think the original owners manual calls for you to wait until 45k to do it the first time (for some reason), but I don't particularly like that method. If you are buying a 2010 or older RL, since 2011 was the first year that DW-1 was used as the factory fill, I would highly suggest a full changeover to DW-1 using the 3-4 drain and fill method. Similarly, if you're buying a 2011 or newer RL with higher mileage and there is no proof that a tranny fluid change had ever been done before, follow the same method. With the exception of cracking the fill bolt loose for the first time, it's even easier than changing engine oil.

·
Registered
784 Posts
^^ Agreed. Tranny fluid should be drained and filled every 30k miles or so of normal driving. I think the original owners manual calls for you to wait until 45k to do it the first time (for some reason), but I don't particularly like that method. If you are buying a 2010 or older RL, since 2011 was the first year that DW-1 was used as the factory fill, I would highly suggest a full changeover to DW-1 using the 3-4 drain and fill method. Similarly, if you're buying a 2011 or newer RL with higher mileage and there is no proof that a tranny fluid change had ever been done before, follow the same method. With the exception of cracking the fill bolt loose for the first time, it's even easier than changing engine oil.
Hey Ian,

For those of us unfamiliar with these tranny oils, what is the difference/advantage of the DW-1 over the previous fluid? Why did Honda switch? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
They reformulated to improve cold weather shifting. Did that a year or two after DW-1 came out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts