Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for "clear coat" and it's variants, but didn't find a comprehensive discussion of the painting process Honda uses on the RL. How many coats, and of what kind, do they use?

What process would a repair shop use to repaint damaged areas, to get it to match the rest of the RL, and fade/wax the the same way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'll let you know after I get my rear bumper replaced.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, yeah, I saw that post! Let us know how it turns out. And if it turns out good, with no "orange peel", please ask the paint folks how they did it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Kid :) What are the chances that a dealer can do a decent job painting a raw bumper?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I were you I would make them send it to a paint shop to get it done...if the bumper was "orange peeled" the first time they sprayed it then they need to stop skimping on the clear ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. They said they want to "color sand" the orange peel off. Does this make sense? Do you suppose they even put a clearcoat on?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
My dealer farms out their body work to a company called ACME. I can't help but think of the Road Runner. :p No thanks. I'm going to a reputable body shop in the area that guarantees their work, and is also a rental agency. Let's face it, repainting and replacing a plastic bumper cover is a very routine job these days. The Ridgeline is no different than an Accord. Any good body shop should be able to do the job so you will never know the difference.

While installing the trailer hitch, I noticed two rectangular patches with no paint on them on the underside of the bumper. I wonder what that was for? Kid?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They got the orange peel "feel" off with the color sanding, but if you look at objects reflected in the rear bumper paint, the edges are distorted, whereas reflections in the front bumper paint and the bodywork paint have nice clean edges. But it's really only noticable if you knew to look for it. So I give in on the bumper, I don't have any struggle left in me...

However, they dinged the front brush-guard, by backing another car into it (they fessed up on this one, to their credit), and will have to order a new one.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
My gawd. What is this place, Three Stooges Honda? :confused:

Kid, I don't get it. Does Honda Corp. believe that a customer won't look at the underside of the bumper? The paint is missing. Maybe a picture would help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts