Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was filling up my RTL using the shutoff automatic - after fill-up the mechanism did not work and it wasted/spilled about 1 gallon of gas.
Does anybody know if there is/ might be a collateral damage to the gas tank /gas pump or any other electronics inside the truck which could be affected ?
Is there any thing I should look into?
There was a bad gas smell inside the cabin afterwords...

TIA

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Just don't make a habit of toping off /overfilling tank you may cause damage.
It's in the owners manual what may happen but if you do it by accident once in awhile no harm.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
I haven't found the image, but like Bobby said the EVAP system is tied into the Fuel tank and overfilling, specifically filling the "neck" into the can cause fuel to go into the tube which leads to the charcoal canister.

I wouldn't worry about one time, other than wash the truck and maybe wax that panel, the clear coat and paint damage are probably more immediate

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I haven't found the image, but like Bobby said the EVAP system is tied into the Fuel tank and overfilling, specifically filling the "neck" into the can cause fuel to go into the tube which leads to the charcoal canister.

I wouldn't worry about one time, other than wash the truck and maybe wax that panel, the clear coat and paint damage are probably more immediate
Thanks, I will probably have to revisit this business (major chain), because the manager offered me $5 which I accepted at that time; but I told him I will hold the Co responsible for any other damages: Once I got home I started thinking mostly about a good car wash and Wax because the smell was awful, and I know from experience gasoline dulls the paint... and that seemed to be OK with him.
( i was filling gas when one of the helpers came with a very dirty windshield cleaner (oily dripping) and offered me a "complementary" windshield cleaning, so when I saw the condition of that oily thing I said "no, thank you" trying to keep a straight face.. and during that time (when I wasn't looking) the tank filled up and started shooting gasoline... I wasn't trying to top off anything. (everything was caught on camera, and another attendant later told me they saw the recording when I was approached, and distracted from watching the fill up)
I will also monitor low idle at red lights and accelerations . Also rough idle and engine power loss for clogged EVAP system.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Just don't make a habit of toping off /overfilling tank you may cause damage.
It's in the owners manual what may happen but if you do it by accident once in awhile no harm.
I agree.

I can understand questioning some recommendations but thinking I do it and 'so far' nothing has happened so it must be OK is rather short-sighted.
Especially in the case of the vapor recovery system which typically is rendered inoperative by continuous, long term contamination.
Besides, for me I don't relish spending more time at a filling station than necessary. For me one click does the trick!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I won't even try to convince anybody that it is OK to overfill the tank especially when Honda engineers the system to keep you from doing it and highly discourages it. The EPA totally frowns on it. Gas station managers hate it. Occasionally there will be a bad pump or a screw-up, but just don't do it.

If it makes anybody feel better that has done this unintentionally, I have been driving a RL (actually two of them) since March of 2005. I figure I have filled the tank(s) of those RL's approximately 725 times. At least 600 of those fills were purposely all the way to the fill neck where I could see liquid gasoline.

Never had a problem.

Don't try this at home.

·
Super Moderator
7,263 Posts
Here is the image I've seen else where, but found outside the ROC for reference....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,263 Posts
And this line diagram explains the concept of what/how a EVAP/Charcoal canister works in the fuel system

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And this line diagram explains the concept of what/how a EVAP/Charcoal canister works in the fuel system
Thanks for the diagram.
If the real gas tank is a replicate of the diagram, then most of the overfill gasoline would have escaped thru the open cap, and very little, if any, would have made it thru the EVAP System, because it is a little higher relatively to the open Gas tank cap... I hope that is the case!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Thanks for the diagram.
If the real gas tank is a replicate of the diagram, then most of the overfill gasoline would have escaped thru the open cap, and very little, if any, would have made it thru the EVAP System, because it is a little higher relatively to the open Gas tank cap... I hope that is the case!
The design of the fill pipe in the RL would seem to help protect the EVAP from overfills. That should be comforting for the clicker addicts! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts