Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

761 - 780 of 786 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Swapped out the drivers side headlight bulb. They have now both been replaced since I purchased the truck in April.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Took it in to have the brakes checked out. Was making a grinding noise 1st thing in the A.M. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Service says no problem. Might be cheap pads, 80% front, 30% rear.

Good to know. Best of all no charge!!!:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Today, on Father's Day I bonded with my newly adopted G1. I got mechanical with it and did my first transfusion in trying to set my baseline for maintenance @ 193,788 km.

Well, more accurately I did my first drain and fill DNF of the Transmission fluid. The previous owner said one was done a while ago. I thought I would do the recommended 4 to make sure there is predominantly DW-1 in the transmission.

Photo of new fluid to what came out - I plan on posting photos of all 5 samples when done.

In the grand scheme of things, by the time I bought everything needed it would have been cheaper to have the garage do it. OTOH I will save on everything else maintenance wise later on. I have not done mechanical stuff in a while. It was sort of nice to get back into it. I plan on doing 3 more DNF's, 2 VTM-4 and 1 transfer case over the next month or so on alternating weekends.

The hardest part of the job was continually checking the fluid level after filling. I went with the 3.1 liters in the service manual took it around the block & checked it hot. Added 100 ml at a time not wanting to go over - driving & checking each time. As others have said it does take 3.5 liters to do a DNF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resoldered connections on radio to fix backlight today...used the butane iron that I have my Dad in 1982 on Fathers Day...what a great feeling. ☺
Also did A12 service.
And oh yea...fixed my back seat pulleys yesterday !
All in all,I would say that's a pretty good weekend.
Happy Fathers Day to all us Dads out there !!!

·
Super Moderator
6,679 Posts
Today, on Father's Day I bonded with my newly adopted G1. I got mechanical with it and did my first transfusion in trying to set my baseline for maintenance @ 193,788 km.

Well, more accurately I did my first drain and fill DNF of the Transmission fluid. The previous owner said one was done a while ago. I thought I would do the recommended 4 to make sure there is predominantly DW-1 in the transmission.

Photo of new fluid to what came out - I plan on posting photos of all 5 samples when done.

View attachment 394208

In the grand scheme of things, by the time I bought everything needed it would have been cheaper to have the garage do it. OTOH I will save on everything else maintenance wise later on. I have not done mechanical stuff in a while. It was sort of nice to get back into it. I plan on doing 3 more DNF's, 2 VTM-4 and 1 transfer case over the next month or so on alternating weekends.

The hardest part of the job was continually checking the fluid level after filling. I went with the 3.1 liters in the service manual took it around the block & checked it hot. Added 100 ml at a time not wanting to go over - driving & checking each time. As others have said it does take 3.5 liters to do a DNF.
IMO, no reason to do more than DnF with the VTM-4, you’re getting maybe 95% maybe more when draining the VTM.

·
Registered
154 Posts
IMO, no reason to do more than DnF with the VTM-4, you’re getting maybe 95% maybe more when draining the VTM.
Point taken, thanks for the suggestion.
If the fluid & drain magnet look within reason, I'll re-calibrate the next change based on the Severe Service Schedule.

A couple of weeks ago when I towed my camper on the highway, we could feel a slight "flutter" going uphill. It was almost like a cylinder missing but RPM's were static. I've got 12 hrs of hwy driving planned before I can do my 2nd tranny DNF then a weekend camping trip planned. I was planning on doing the 3rd DNF, transfer case and the VTM-4 after the camping trip. Maybe I'll do the transfer case with my 2nd DNF.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Last night got the oil changed. Previous owner used synthetic blend so I went with that. Also, gave it a bath when I got home.

·
Registered
154 Posts
1st job of the day was to repair the interior hood release latch on the wife's MB E320 wagon. The little plastic tab that holds the round thing at the end of the cable broke off. I tacked it into place with some crazy glue, created some mechanical retention (small holes, divots and slots) then filled it up with cold cure dental acrylic. Should be stronger than the original. Once we got the hood open, she changed her headlight bulbs.

Then my Ridgeline got it's 2nd baseline tranny Drain and Fill. I expanded on a concept I think I got from @speedlever that placed a rag over the metal bar to keep the fluid from going everywhere. I looked at the cardboard box I was lying on, cut an end flap off, then cut a narrow notch on one end. I slid the notch over the plastic air dam or whatever you call it under the rad. That held the cardboard in place - letting all the fluid run into the drain pan below.

I bought some spice jars at the dollar store to put samples of the fluid in to monitor the progress. The jars are 1.5" in diameter and about 3" high. I did my 1st DNF just under 1000 km or 600 miles ago with 95% highway driving. The magnetic plug had very little visible residue on it this time. A single wipe with a paper towel cleaned it fully.

I was a little concerned when I put the fluid in from this drain as it looked very similar to the first drain. It was dark. Dark enough to make me wonder if I had a problem. So I took some smaller samples and put them in clear plastic as well as putting a couple of drops of each on white paper. This is what I wound up seeing.

This made me feel a little better. Then I looked at one of the charts posted here by @speedlever & realized the 1 DNF sample contains ~59% old fluid. That makes me feel much better.

Once again, I put the recommended 3.3 liters in. Took it for a little drive and checked the tranny fluid level. Again it was low, below the first hole. Rather than trying to incrementally squirt more fluid down the dipstick tube, I think I'll just open the fill plug and put the other 200 ml in it took on the last fill.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Within the last two weeks, I had the shop do my front sway bar end links (could not get that darn thing off!!) and replaced my propeller shaft. The propeller shaft was easier to do that I anticipated. Just an hour and a half, if you have the replacement at hand.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Yesterday, I drained the Rad & reservoir and filled with new Honda coolant as part of setting my maintenance baseline for service.

Old Fluid (Left) --- Resulting Mix (Center) --- New Honda coolant (Right)

View attachment 394655
When I changed my coolant, the old coolant with 180K+ miles on it looked like the one in the middle (from your pictures). You are telling me that your old coolant looked brown? I dont believe I have seen it before.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You are telling me that your old coolant looked brown? I dont believe I have seen it before.
It might have been the lighting. My old eyes see a darker grey like oxidized aluminum with maybe a hint of purple. After making sure the containers had similar volumes, I took them outside in the northern shade and rephotographed from directly above, once again on a white background. I then colour enhanced the shot to the white background. How does this look now?

The previous owner indicated they did a complete flush and fill of the coolant maybe 8-9 years ago. Without receipts. I have no idea what they used. I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't do a second drain & fill. If so, when?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Thank you for the second set of images. Though I can see the color difference, my curiosity is still the same; the old fluid is much darker in color than what I got out of my truck when I changed it. Mine was just a hint darker than the fresh blue fluid I put it.

Unless the previous owner did not use OEM fluid, I am still struggling to figure out why the greyish color.

Either way, you are all set and got it switched out :)

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine is currently in the the shop to get the headliner replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Over the weekend, I had to take care of few maintenance items. The following were changed
  • spark plugs
  • Valve cover gaskets & all associated grommets
  • power washed and painted the valve covers and intake manifold
  • vacuumed out the squirrel nest that happened to be under the intake runners (pain in the butt)
  • adjusted the valves and installed the PCV valve
  • reinstalled the oil catch cans
For those who like pictures, well here you go.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Sounds like a good amount of work.

The pictures, though, are a no go.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Today, I did more work setting my baseline. A 3rd tranny DNF, changed the VTM-4 fluid in the rear end and changed the cabin air filter.

Here is how I position a piece of cardboard with slots cut in both ends to keep the tranny fluid from splashing all over. One end slips over the plastic splash shield at the front, the other end gets folded over and slips over the brace that is almost in the way.

The magnet had very little on it and what came off is shown on a 1/2 sheet of paper towel.

The VTM-4 fluid may have been changed once in the first year of the original lease prior to 20,000 Km. It does not seem do have been done since and I'm currently @ 195,000 Km. The fluid came out dark like the tranny fluid. There was very little residue on the magnet, very little wiped off.
The guy I got the fluids from said to make sure you clean out the 3/8" squares in the drain and fill plugs real good before you try taking them off. Very helpful advise - a lot came out that would have prevented the ratchet end from seating fully. A breaker bar was required.

The fluid looks even darker than what is in the picture. I put a couple of drops of each fluid on the paper background.

This is what gently shook out of the cabin air filter (excluding the plastic bag). With something so easy to change, I really don't understand how someone could let it get this bad. There was a whole lot more still in the folds.

After seeing this. I'll add replacing the engine air filter to my baseline list.

761 - 780 of 786 Posts
About this Discussion
785 Replies
206 Participants
McChizzle
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing