Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes. While both systems use two variable clutches to send power to the rear wheels before front wheel slip is detected, there are several differences in the fundamental design and operation.
  • VTM-4's clutches are engaged using electromagnets and balls rolling up a ramp. iVTM-4's clutches are engaged with using hydraulic pressure from an electric pump and controlled through solenoid valves.
  • VTM-4 has a 1.7% overdrive. iVTM-4 has a 2.7% overdrive.
  • VTM-4 operates the left and right clutches in parallel. iVTM-4 operates the left and right clutches independently for torque vectoring (helps turn the vehicle).
Again, thanks so much for the info. I remember reading - probably here - that the G2 had "torque vectoring", but no idea how that was executed. Good stuff.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Drove to Cornell today to pick up my daughter after completion of her first semester, proud dad here. On the way back many snow squalls speeds reduced on some long stretches of country back roads and on I88 with all its bumpiness (rough road signs) visibility was bad for a good portion of the trip. Winds were heavy. This is the type of weather when you don't know how far you can push it especially if you are the lead car on a back road. I have snows and the RL was amazing, so confidence inspiring. When the weather gets crappy this is a good vehicle to have. Fortunately I was able to use the high beams on the back roads when the snow wasn't falling heavily but I've got to do something about the low beams, I had a hard time finding the curves with the low beams.
I have to read up on the cargo lights, I jumped out while the engine was running and no cargo lights. When I got home cargo lights came on with the engine off.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Drove to Cornell today to pick up my daughter after completion of her first semester, proud dad here. On the way back many snow squalls speeds reduced on some long stretches of country back roads and on I88 with all its bumpiness (rough road signs) visibility was bad for a good portion of the trip. Winds were heavy. This is the type of weather when you don't know how far you can push it especially if you are the lead car on a back road. I have snows and the RL was amazing, so confidence inspiring. When the weather gets crappy this is a good vehicle to have. Fortunately I was able to use the high beams on the back roads when the snow wasn't falling heavily but I've got to do something about the low beams, I had a hard time finding the curves with the low beams.
I have to read up on the cargo lights, I jumped out while the engine was running and no cargo lights. When I got home cargo lights came on with the engine off.
I put Diode Dynamics SL1 low beams on my 17 RTL-T and absolutely LOVE them. Incredible light output, night and day over OEM and high output halogens.

For the cargo light, I noticed they can't be activated from the cab unless the vehicle is in park, and they only come on with the tailgate in swing mode, not drop down mode. Were you in Park, and if so how did you open the tailgate?

And ditto on this vehicle in the snow. I'm over in Berkshire County of Massachusetts. I have Conti TerrainContact A/T, not full snows but they are near full depth and the truck is great in the snow we've had the past few weeks. Absolutely no problem getting around even in the deeper and slushy stuff. I floored it from a red light in the slush to see how much the VSA would activate and I was blown away that it only flickered once while accelerating from 0-35 near redlining 1st gear.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I put Diode Dynamics SL1 low beams on my 17 RTL-T and absolutely LOVE them. Incredible light output, night and day over OEM and high output halogens.

For the cargo light, I noticed they can't be activated from the cab unless the vehicle is in park, and they only come on with the tailgate in swing mode, not drop down mode. Were you in Park, and if so how did you open the tailgate?

And ditto on this vehicle in the snow. I'm over in Berkshire County of Massachusetts. I have Conti TerrainContact A/T, not full snows but they are near full depth and the truck is great in the snow we've had the past few weeks. Absolutely no problem getting around even in the deeper and slushy stuff. I floored it from a red light in the slush to see how much the VSA would activate and I was blown away that it only flickered once while accelerating from 0-35 near redlining 1st gear.

-Mike
Thanks, have to look into those SL1's they seem to be mentioned a lot. Any issues with the heat? With regard to the tailgate, I tried it both ways but it was snowing heavily and I just wanted to get back in. I better have had it in park. My other daughter goes to Northeastern so I've been doing that drive for 3 years now (from Albany) but have only taken the RL twice one of which was in that blizzzard last winter. That was surreal, I was the only one on the highway for a good portion of the trip I much prefer to take my Accord for that trip. Beautiful country in the Berkshires.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks, have to look into those SL1's they seem to be mentioned a lot. Any issues with the heat? With regard to the tailgate, I tried it both ways but it was snowing heavily and I just wanted to get back in. I better have had it in park. My other daughter goes to Northeastern so I've been doing that drive for 3 years now (from Albany) but have only taken the RL twice one of which was in that blizzzard last winter. That was surreal, I was the only one on the highway for a good portion of the trip I much prefer to take my Accord for that trip. Beautiful country in the Berkshires.
I assume you mean the heat from LEDs? They have integrated fan assemblies that run occasionally but not always. They must be thermostatically controlled versus always on. Can't hear them except when I turn the truck off and get off before the lights auto shut-off. The irony about LEDs is that the diode itself runs cool(er) because all the heat is pulled away from the light and into a heat sink, you don't get any heat on the headlight lense to melt ice in a winter sleet storm. I wonder how OEMs have managed that same issue, if they have at all.

-Mike

·
Registered
630 Posts
i hauled many meals for family and friends to the processor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Put this load into the back today and still had plenty of room for other cargo. J/K this was just a "rest stop" while bringing this new girl home and giving her a little room to stretch her legs and have some food and water without touching the ground until she has her final vaccinations.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Went to Firestone today to have some tires that I purchased online mounted. The guy opens the tailgate the regular way. I stop him and open it up the swing way for easy reach over. Guy initially looks at me like I'm crazy then was pleasantly surprised/amazed. Same thing happened at Lowes last year with mulch.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I picked up some bags of fertilizer, pre-emergent and mulch the other day at the home store for the first time since getting my Ridgeline and it is really nice to have the swing gate. Much easier loading and less stress on the back.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Today I did the spare tire valve mod that cmatt1977 did. Works great! IMG_0735.jpeg IMG_0734.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
Hit 1,000 trouble-free miles! Other than a creaky rear sliding window in certain conditions all is very well!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Relocated this guy to a nearby forest before heading out on a business trip in the RL. Second one in the past month I had to use my SUV for the first one (pre-Ridgeline) with a trailer, Man, it was nice to have a truck this time. Took him to his new home, and then took off for work without having to deal with a utility trailer.

t

121 - 140 of 170 Posts