Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
A familiar scene for me. Transported 8-10 of them over a year or so in my G1; none in the G2 yet.

How do you release them? I'd tie a rope to the trap handle, sit in the truck, pull and the 'coon would scamper away. "Safety first"!

Always amazed at how calm they seem through all that.
So far, I’ve had to relocate 3 of these rascals. I’ve just been turning the trap away from me and using a pole to flip the trap open. All of them have scampered out without so much as a backward glance. Of course, the pole I’m using is actually the pitchfork I use to lift the cage into the truck bed. Just in case one decides to make a scene........

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Almost afraid to ask what Coon Cuffs are :)
They are just a little pipe with a spring-loaded catch on them. You bury them in the ground, put some bait in there, and when the bandit reaches in for the bait, it "handcuffs" him.

Just search Amazon for coon cuff traps.

I use them because we have outdoor cats. Bait the trap with mini marshmallows and the cats don't bother it, but it catches the raccoon. Then you have to figure out what to do with him...i was able to press on the spring with a rake handle to free him.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
In my experience being a farmer and college educated is not a mutually exclusive thing.
My brother double-majored in Dairy Science and Ag Engineering, graduated with 3.8GPA in 3.5 years, Dean's List every semester.

But you would never know it to look at him or talk to him....he's just a down-home country boy.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
My brother double-majored in Dairy Science and Ag Engineering, graduated with 3.8GPA in 3.5 years, Dean's List every semester. But you would never know it to look at him or talk to him....he's just a down-home country boy.
Did your brother go to SDSU?

Those of us that went to USD called Brooking "Silo Tech" back in the 60s & 70s.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
They are just a little pipe with a spring-loaded catch on them. You bury them in the ground, put some bait in there, and when the bandit reaches in for the bait, it "handcuffs" him.

Just search Amazon for coon cuff traps.

I use them because we have outdoor cats. Bait the trap with mini marshmallows and the cats don't bother it, but it catches the raccoon. Then you have to figure out what to do with him...i was able to press on the spring with a rake handle to free him.
Yep, marshmallows get them every time!

I see....

·
Registered
3 Posts
You may be surprised how much the modern farmer/rancher works with his brain.
I'm not surprised at all how much the modern farmer is intelligent and resourceful. I kid them about their stereotype just as they kid me about mine. In the town where my first two churches were, Tarleton State University was a great school in the Texas A&M system. I knew some very intelligent farmers and ag workers who were graduates. I knew far more who were some of the brightest people I knew who never finished high-school.

DOB, I discovered a long time ago that people want to know you care. I would go to the dairies, farms, ranches, and production facilities, to work and ask questions. My goal was to learn enough to carry on a conversation about their specialty. Understanding their humor is a part of that education. such as; why did the (insert choice victim here) get rid of his freezer? He got tired of cutting the ice into little squares to fit into the trays. We all know that isn't so, but it's still funny.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
24 Posts
Hauled 3 Motorcycles on a 2500 mile round trip to Gunnison CO. Trailer with 2 Kawasaki Motorcycles (Vulcan S 650 / Concours 1400) and a BMW K1300S in the back plus gear and 3 Adults equaled ~3000 Lbs. The 2020 RL did great in the Colorado Mountains and averaged an indicated 15.5 MPG for the trip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Today the wife and I visited our local A.R.E topper reps. Quote in hand, but made some adjustments. I really like their top line with the lockable rear that works with your Honda fob. I am also going to have an additional battery added with an isolator. I will update and post photos. Hope it can be built in 2 months for my end of September birthday trip into the rugged outback of Utah.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts