Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I had a 1998 Toyota 4Runner most recently, and traded it in for the Ridgeline. The 4Runner was the best overall vehicle I ever drove until I found out about the Ridgeline.

I was going to keep the 4Runner for another couple of years, hoping for a significant improvement in technology for efficiency (cylinder deactivation, hybrid, magic pixies, whatever). However, with truck sales plummetting, Toyota put those things on the back burner. Plus the Canadian dollar shot up and eventually local dealers started importing lots of late-model U.S. used vehicles to keep people from cross-border shopping themselves. The selection of good, used 4Runners available locally for reasonable prices went from virtually nil to fairly good for the first time ever. In fact, I missed out on some of the best bargains before realising what a buyer's market it was and that, yes, it really was time to replace the old 4Runner.

I assumed that the replacement would be another 4Runner because my market research before buying it used in 2000 was that all of the competitors had some disqualifying weakness in their mid-sized offerings. For example, Dodge's automatic transmissions failed, Nissan Pathfinder had mediocre brakes, GM's drivetrains wore out fast. My choices would have been much better in the full-size category, but I did not want to get something that big for everyday use as my one-and-only vehicle. One sour note was that 4Runners with 6-cylinder engines only have part-time 4WD transmissions. I wanted full-time AWD.

While at a dealer to test-drive a 2006 4Runner, I spotted a Honda Pilot beside it and realised that it was bigger than I expected. However, looking up its specifications showed that it was not going to tow my boat (4800 lbs on the trailer), even for the limited bit of towing that I do. Somehow, I stumbled upon the Ridgeline. It made me realise that, even when hauling 5 passengers and all my boat gear, I could do away with the large cartop carrier that has been necessary with a mid-sized SUV.

I did compare against the double-cab Tacoma. I came to the same conclusion that so many others here have: the Ridgeline wins handily on features such as ride, comfort, storage, safety, etc., and I really don't need the Tacoma's better off-road capability. Plus, the Tacoma is a fair bit more expensive in my market.

Thanks to this group and some hefty rebates in this part of Canada, I now have a 10-day-old Sterling Grey 2009 Ridgeline VP (RTS)! It's great.

·
Registered
151 Posts
a saab 9.3 and before that a saab 900s and before that a saab 900s and before that a saab turbo 900 and before that a saab 99 and before that a ssab 93..........whew....I am finished with saabs now:rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
2004 honda civic ex coupe been looking at the ridgeline for a while ever since it came out and finally 2 weeks ago my dream finally came true. Now its snowing hard in washington and my RL drives through the snow like a beast. Really happy with the purchase... still have my civic though just in case i need to park in the city streets of Seattle!!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I drove a 99 F150 S/C 4X4, it had 160K when I sold it. It treated me well. As soon as I drove the Ridge I knew I'd buy one. The ride, 4doors, AWD for snow, I didn't have to climb into it (perfect for my elderly parents), rear storage. So far I like it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A 2004 F150 4X4 SC with 5.4 V8. Owned FORD for 24 yrs... the last 2 were repair nightmares and when FORD wanted $500 - $1,300 (if they have to pull the heads) to change the spark plugs! I purchased a 2009 Honda Ridgeline VP in Sterling Grey. My wife has driven HONDA cars since 1980 and over 1,000,000 km trouble free on her HONDA cars. The Ridgeline is built here in Otario, Canada... my nieghbours need the employment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I traded in a 2017 Acura RDX/Advance Pkg/AWD. Good car with low miles, and I enjoyed driving it. But, my needs have changed since retiring a few years ago and recently moving to acreage in western WA.

I usually keep my cars 10 years on average, so this was an odd event. Never got rid of a 3 yr old car before!

We also have a 2016 Subaru Outback, so we just reached a point where we didn’t need two small SUVs.

And honestly, the new RL has pretty much all of the features (adaptive cruise, lane-keeping assist, moonroof, same steering wheel control arrangement, etc.) that my RDX had. Really feels like I’m driving a slightly bigger RDX with a bed instead of an enclosed cargo area!

·
Registered
71 Posts
had a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium that I traded in along with a work truck F150 Lariat.
I still own a 2006 Grand Prix.

Before that I owned:

2005 Chevy Colorado - stupid 5 cylinder nonsense
2004 Grand Prix - hit by a Towncar - RIP
1996 Chevy Blazer
1994 Chevy Blazer Tahoe - the BEAST. Survived a half dozen deer and being run off the road by a semi at 65 mph

·
Registered
39 Posts
Before my 2017 G2 Ridge, I had a 2012 Ridge. And, before my 2012 Ridge, I had a 2007 Ridge. Pictured below are all three from last week (sold the G1s to family members who still have them). And before that, I had way too many vehicles to count.....

·
Super Moderator
22,532 Posts
Before my 2017 G2 Ridge, I had a 2012 Ridge. And, before my 2012 Ridge, I had a 2007 Ridge. Pictured below are all three from last week (sold the G1s to family members who still have them). And before that, I had way too many vehicles to count.....
View attachment 394513
Any favorites of the 3?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I originally posted in this forum in 2008, when I wrote that I had a 1997 4Runner for ten years before my '06 RL. I traded my RL in on a used 2008 MDX, which I didn't keep for very long. I got a 2008 Avalanche, which I really liked, but I started working in the oilfield where I had access to very cheap diesel. I traded the Avalanche for a 2014 Ram Ecodiesel. When I left the oilfield, I had the Ram paid off and I bought my BE in Sept. of 2016. This is my last vehicle ever. :eek: When my 12 year old begins driving in four years, maybe I'll give it to him.

·
Registered
404 Posts
2001 GMC SLE 4X4. 5.3L. Put 150K miles on it. Sold in 09 for the 09 RTL. That GMC is still being used. Had many Big 3 trucks before.. Several work related. Never had a bad one. 100s of 1000s of miles.

But.. After I retired, the RLs fit our needs completely. We'll never need, or have, a full size truck again. I've put many 1000 miles on each RL, but both have been my wife's daily driver. We had around 80K miles on the 09 when sold and around 20K miles on the 17.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Prior to my RL I had a 2011 Pilot EXL with 198K that was traded in on the RL. With moving out to the country a few years ago, the bed of the RL made more sense than the enclosed cargo area of another Pilot for me

101 - 120 of 124 Posts
About this Discussion
123 Replies
102 Participants
McChizzle
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing