Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

What did you own/drive before your Ridgelines?

21K views 143 replies 116 participants last post by  rumblejess 
#1 ·
What did you own / Drive before you purchased a Ridgeline? Why did you decide to buy? Do your friends like or dislike your Ridgeline?:D

#115 ·
I originally posted in this forum in 2008, when I wrote that I had a 1997 4Runner for ten years before my '06 RL. I traded my RL in on a used 2008 MDX, which I didn't keep for very long. I got a 2008 Avalanche, which I really liked, but I started working in the oilfield where I had access to very cheap diesel. I traded the Avalanche for a 2014 Ram Ecodiesel. When I left the oilfield, I had the Ram paid off and I bought my BE in Sept. of 2016. This is my last vehicle ever. :eek: When my 12 year old begins driving in four years, maybe I'll give it to him.

#118 ·
2001 GMC SLE 4X4. 5.3L. Put 150K miles on it. Sold in 09 for the 09 RTL. That GMC is still being used. Had many Big 3 trucks before.. Several work related. Never had a bad one. 100s of 1000s of miles.

But.. After I retired, the RLs fit our needs completely. We'll never need, or have, a full size truck again. I've put many 1000 miles on each RL, but both have been my wife's daily driver. We had around 80K miles on the 09 when sold and around 20K miles on the 17.

#119 ·
Prior to my RL I had a 2011 Pilot EXL with 198K that was traded in on the RL. With moving out to the country a few years ago, the bed of the RL made more sense than the enclosed cargo area of another Pilot for me

#121 ·
I had a 2016 Nissan fronter biggest piece of junk ever. It was a lease three year I turned it in five months early it had 12.545 miles on it did not even come close to my 36.000 miles I was to have.Drove the Honda my wife and me loved the way it drives we don’t haul anything big at all.went to my Honda dealer he said they would take my nissan for there used lot wanted the black RTLE they had it told them cash deal the next day drove off the lot I have had it two months now and only put 75 miles on it but love the ride.o mine is a 2019 and my wife drives a 2019 VW tigon she like that a lot.

#122 ·

This is the car I had before the Ridgeline. I love her, but I can’t haul in her, so I Ripken’d at 203,000 miles. I never had a car with a higher smiles/gallon rating.

For those who don’t know, the Orioles moved Cal Jr. from shortstop to 3rd base because he was starting to have back problems. Moving him to 3rd extended his career. The Charger went from my daily driver to my weekend car to extend her career.

#123 ·
I drove a 1993 Sc300 for 13 years before I got my 2017 RL. I loved that thing and it was an awesome 1st car! Hauled dozens of boxes of spring chicks, a few hundred lbs of bagged feed at a time and my first bottle lambs came home in the front seat! I may have also hauled a few pieces of lumber sticking out the moon roof as well... It had a 300lb load limit despite 4 seats which meant it was pretty much always over loaded if I had anyone other than myself in the car. Eventually the lambs grew up and I needed a real hauling vehicle as I got tired of asking my dad to take me to the feed store because hay was nearly impossible to get out of the carpeted trunk. Now it's been nearly 3 years with the truck and I'm loving it!! If I had gotten a truck for my first vehicle, one can only wonder how much MORE trouble I'd have gotten into... heck I might have ended up with a horse or something. LOL

Here she was all shined up at 24 years old before she went to a new home with an enthusiast. She was one of the best looking cars of her vintage that was nearly all stock and not riced out/modified or abused via the drifting scene.

The SC and RL lived together for about 4 months. I would have to say it was quite the change in driving position/style. Driving an extra half ton around felt safer and being able to see around corners due to hedges was quite the nice change! A real bonus was that the truck got better MPGs and did not require premium fuel!

#124 ·
Prior to my 2009 RTL, I had a 1996 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT, 4x4, regular-cab, short-box in forest green. I loved that truck but it was not built to last; it just disintegrated when it hit 100,000 miles and after 14 years it became hard to find good replacement parts.

I also had a 2002 C5 Corvette Coupe with the six-speed manual, transparent targa top, and upgraded rims in electric blue. That car was fun but was a maintenance nightmare; at every oil change I had a major item to repair. It just got too expensive to own. It was fun while it lasted but good riddens.

#127 ·
We have had an Odyssey since December 2005. Most recently we had an 07 Odyssey that my husband and I bought used to bridge a gap. It failed a few months earlier than we would have liked but we were ready. The Odysseys convinced us to continue to be Honda owders though. We also have a 1994 Ford, f250 that we have used as a farm truck for the last 10 years. We are glad to be getting rid of it as it's a real beater. It was our second Ford truck and we have gotten our money's worth from both but the ride of the Ridgeline beats any truck I have ridden in.
A good friend owns a 2008 Ridgeline and we have been talking her up all summer. She pulls a 14 ft Jayco trailer for camping and if 2 ladies in their 60s can do it then this lady can too. We won't be pulling a camper anytime soon but we do have a pony trailer that we use for hay and goats.
As much as I loved the Odyssey we no longer need a minivan. We did want to have cargo space and comfort for long drives. To be honest I don't like the rear space of the Pilot and getting a Ridgeline would allow us to get rid of our 3rd vehicle. The beater mentioned above. We chose the Ridgeline over the Pilot because of the cargo space and what I consider a truck that rides like a car. Owning a farm requires a truck of some sort even it it only has a 5 ft bed :)
Only two days in but it feels great!

#132 ·
Any thoughts on the 2018 vs. the 2006? I'm looking at trading or selling my 2007 to get a 2009 while the year-end pricing is in effect.

Not sure about the shallow bed, though it'd be easer to reach items next to the cab. Also the rear door opening size and legroom concerns me some. On the + side, when we test drove my wife said she'd be comfortable driving it, as it doesn't seem so "big" (though it actually is, lol).

Thanks.

#133 ·
Drove a red CR-V EX that I bought new in 2002 (the year of the big re-do) - one of the three best vehicles I've ever had, the others being a 1974 Toyota Celica ST (bought used in college) and the 2007 Ridgeline I bought in 2011 with 49k on it. My son drove the CR-V in college until 2014 - sold it and put the $ toward a new Civic.

#141 ·
1988 Chevrolet Cheyenne V8 engine.
Great truck, i was in highschool when i was driving it, it was my dad´s but he did not use it much so it became my daily driver when i came over in vacations. I did a lot of offroad adventures in this one, very strong, powerful and reliable truck. Mine was just like the one in the pic but in white color.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Chevrolet

1984 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder.
This one I used it as a daily driver when i was in the USA in highschool, great car for the city, not fast but i still managed to have some fun adventures with it. Mine was in gray color.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Classic car

1997 Nissan King Cab 4 cylinder.
I had this truck when i was in college, great car for a daily driver in the city and i also took the truck to many offroad adventures, is was the 2WD version and automatic transmission so i had to think very good where i was going before i choose to go offroad, still very impressive in the sand dunes, and river crossings, very fast on dirt roads thanks to the automatic trans allowing me to downshift between D and 2nd gear, had lots of fun with it. The one in the pic is the V6 version but the body was the same.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Engine.
Awesome truck for heavy duty work, i just to tow our race cars and add weight to the bed and the truck drove perfectly without any effort. Very strong, and with the turbo diesel i could go fast, but by that time i was more into offroad racing so no need to go fast in my normal daily driver. I sold the truck because i got an offer i could not refuse. Mine was also white as the one in the pic but used bigger tire.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

Now i´m very happy with my 2012 RL, i don´t need to be towing or carrying much weight, with the family growing we needed a much more comfortable and roomier truck, this one has plenty of power, offroad capabilities if i want to go to the beach or to some trails, lots or storage and room, overall is a great truck, probably could have some updates, so far i have a 2" lift kit from Traxda, and 265/70R17 tires to add more clearence and i´m very happy with it.

#142 ·
I drove a Ford Edge. I was satisfied with it and intended to keep it, until it was totaled by a high-school student who was distracted by his cell-phone. (BTW: The student who totaled my car, was "insured" by Allstate. I cannot say enough bad things about the mayhem their refusal to act in good-faith caused! They were so unwilling to act justly, that I had to rely on my own insurance company for reimbursement. Allstate is the cut-rate car insurance! In my opinion, you should avoid them!) However, the Ridgeline is a significantly better vehicle than the Edge! It is exceeding the mpg projections and I am delighted to learn -- that according to cars.com -- it is the most America-made truck on the road!

#143 ·
Prior to my 2007 RL (bought in 2011) I had a red 2002 CR-V EX that I'd bought new - a terrific machine that my son drove from 2011 until finishing grad school in 2015. Sold the CR-V for a modest amount and let him use that as a down payment for his new 2015 Civic. I'm about to buy a G2, and will sell my G1 to my son-in-law....cheap.

#144 ·
Acura TSX Sport wagon. I knew 2 other people that owned them and we all agreed, best car we've ever owned. A bit of a rare beast, Honda rebadged and upgraded the European Accord wagon for the US as an Acura for 3 years only. Evidently Americans don't go for wagons the way Europeans do. I'd say Acura more or less replaced that spot in the line with the RDX, which I had considered. But in the end I needed the utility of a truck and I love Honda's. I'm really liking the RTL-E so far. Shares a lot of features with the Acura I gave up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.