Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1451 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of us prepare to enter negotiations with dealers, it would be really helpful to share some key information here to help others:

Trim Level (RT, RTS, Sport, RTL, RTL-T, RTL-E, Black Edition)
Exterior Color
City (County) and State of Purchase
Final Price Before Tax and Trade-in
Trade-in Involved (yes/no)

Reason to ask if there is a trade-in involved is that makes it really hard to determine the actual price paid for the new vehicle. Getting some sense of whether people are paying MSRP, above, or below, especially where no trade-in is involved, will help others in their negotiations.

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
RTL-E (Silver/black)
Got $1,500 off the $42,270 MSRP
BUT also got $22,750 trade-in for my pristine '12 RTL. Draw your own conclusions about whether this was a good deal or not but I'm happy with it. My new one is due to arrive on the 10th or thereabouts. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is sooner rather than later but not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
RTL-E (Silver/black)
Got $1,500 off the $42,270 MSRP
BUT also got $22,750 trade-in for my pristine '12 RTL. Draw your own conclusions about whether this was a good deal or not but I'm happy with it. My new one is due to arrive on the 10th or thereabouts. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is sooner rather than later but not holding my breath.
If you're happy with it, then you got a good deal. What are you driving until your new RL arrives? A loaner?

·
Super Moderator
22,573 Posts
For price comparison purposes, OTD prices do not matter since taxes, fees, etc. vary from locale to locale. Please provide only the price of the vehicle itself (including destination charges). Trade-in, TTL, etc. all will vary and are irrelevant.

Or if you want to include your OTD price, break out the price you negotiated for the truck itself. That is the only number worth comparing.

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
If trading, here are a couple of sources to give you an idea what your trade is worth. Edmunds and NADA.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
For price comparison purposes, OTD prices do not matter since taxes, fees, etc. vary from locale to locale. Please provide only the price of the vehicle itself (including destination charges). Trade-in, TTL, etc. all will vary and are irrelevant.

Or if you want to include your OTD price, break out the price you negotiated for the truck itself. That is the only number worth comparing.
Totally disagree with this logic. The OTD price is really the only price that matters. For example if someone says they only paid
39,0000. for a RTL-E because that's what they were told they were paying and then by the time they get to the finance office they also paid

$900 destination
$250 doc fee
$199 prep fee
$199 window etch
$75 dealer bull**** fee
+? $ tax

Then clearly they did not pay $39,000.
So no matter what numbers/fees are above the bottom line; the bottom line is all that matters.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Totally disagree with this logic. The OTD price is really the only price that matters. For example if someone says they only paid
39,0000. for a RTL-E because that's what they were told they were paying and then by the time they get to the finance office they also paid

$900 destination
$250 doc fee
$199 prep fee
$199 window etch
$75 dealer bull**** fee
+? $ tax

Then clearly they did not pay $39,000.
So no matter what numbers/fees are above the bottom line; the bottom line is all that matters.
I agree with this to a point. You'll note in my original post I asked for Final Price Before Tax and Trade-in.

In my view though, tax should be taken out because it varies greatly by jurisdiction. Also, there are some fees not in the hands of the dealer (e.g. registration). Other fees, as you note, need to be included.

Another aspect which confuses it all is the trade-in. Dealers will often give you a big discount off MSRP, then make it up in the trade-in value. To try to avoid this I went to CarMax today and got a free appraisal which I intend to use IF I trade in. That should give me a better idea what they are offering. I'll negotiate for best price without a trade-in, then offer to trade in if they will meet or beat CarMax. If they can't/won't I'll sell to CarMax.

·
Super Moderator
22,573 Posts
It is meaningless to me if your dealer charges an advertising fee of $400, a doc fee of $375, etc. and mine does not. TTL will also vary based on locale and if you are taxed on the difference in a trade or the actual purchase price. Those are all variable costs and have no meaning to anyone other than someone else shopping in the same locale.

I recently bought a new vehicle for a family member with a trade. All quotes I got had the breakdown of all charges and credits (trade) so I could easily see the cost of the new vehicle irrespective of extraneous and variable costs between dealers. To me, that is the only comparative info that makes sense on this forum. When I was shopping, yes, I did want to know the final OTD price for buying purposes. But my OTD price in High Point, NC means little to someone shopping in Boston, MA.

I don't see how it makes sense otherwise.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It is meaningless to me if your dealer charges an advertising fee of $400, a doc fee of $375, etc. and mine does not. TTL will also vary based on locale and if you are taxed on the difference in a trade or the actual purchase price. Those are all variable costs and have no meaning to anyone other than someone else shopping in the same locale.

I recently bought a new vehicle for a family member with a trade. All quotes I got had the breakdown of all charges and credits (trade) so I could easily see the cost of the new vehicle irrespective of extraneous and variable costs between dealers. To me, that is the only comparative info that makes sense on this forum. When I was shopping, yes, I did want to know the final OTD price for buying purposes. But my OTD price in High Point, NC means little to someone shopping in Boston, MA.

I don't see how it makes sense otherwise.
Agreed. In Idaho if you get $30k trade in on a $30k new vehicle you owe $0 taxes. Assuming conservatively 10% in a state not doing this would be $3-4k different so yeah OTD is meaningless but would be interesting to include.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to understand a dealership's retail price and their markup? I... saw these numbers when chatting with my Honda salesperson the other day. No column on the sheet for dealer cost or any such thing. But definitely a price column and a markup column...

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I was getting quotes on RAMs last year, the VA dealers within driving distance were all substantially lower on the price of the truck because they could make it up with a $1000 in advertising and doc fees.

I've been in situations where a few hundred dollars makes or breaks the deal, the dealer will raise my trade-in instead of coming down on the price.

When I bought my first Frontier, the dealer discounted an additional $600 to cover the $600 aftermarket spray-in bedliner. They had a deal with the local Line-X dealer, it was the end of the month, and they were 1 away from meeting their upsell target. I was going to have it done anyway so it worked out for both of us.

I got $5k off my 2013 Accord Sport (in December of 2012 when many dealers still had a ton of 2012s) solely because the dealer needed to sell a certain amount of 2013s to get more allocation for the following year, which is a situation that not many others would be able to duplicate with their dealer.

I've even had a dealer give me a discount on my TL if I would take a higher interest rate because the local credit union was giving a strong kickback. (I waited 3 months then refinanced with my own CU)

I would love to hear the entire story of the deal in this thread - everything contributes to the price paid. If I had just quoted the price of the car in the above cases it wouldn't tell the whole story, and would give someone bad information to start negotiations with their own dealer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would love to hear the entire story of the deal in this thread - everything contributes to the price paid. If I had just quoted the price of the car in the above cases it wouldn't tell the whole story, and would give someone bad information to start negotiations with their own dealer.
This is a good point, illustrated by the following: I found a dealer in an adjoining county via an Internet inquiry that had exactly the color RTL-E coming in that I wanted. The Internet salesman called and advised that THEIR dealership doesn't mark up over MSRP like others. Nice. So I started by offering MSRP (without the $900 destination fee). "I'll talk to my sales manager." Comes back to say, we can't waive the $900, but good news, we are going to add a number of things to the car (e.g. door edge guards, special tires and wheels, nitrogen in the tires, etc., etc.). That will be $2,600 on top of MSRP and delivery charge.

Now obviously these things are profit centers worth far less than $2,600 and regardless, things I don't want. Thus the real cost of the car to me would be MSRP + $900 + $2,600 (since I don't want the extras being added). How someone else might value these add-ons is another story.

In any case, I declined this "opportunity."

·
Registered
12 Posts
I secured my Ridgeline yesterday, 6/8.

RTL-E
Modern Steel / Black Int.

My price was 41,742, including destination charge. This does not include any accessories. I will be getting $1000 for my POS trade-in as well.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is a good point, illustrated by the following: I found a dealer in an adjoining county via an Internet inquiry that had exactly the color RTL-E coming in that I wanted. The Internet salesman called and advised that THEIR dealership doesn't mark up over MSRP like others. Nice. So I started by offering MSRP (without the $900 destination fee). "I'll talk to my sales manager." Comes back to say, we can't waive the $900, but good news, we are going to add a number of things to the car (e.g. door edge guards, special tires and wheels, nitrogen in the tires, etc., etc.). That will be $2,600 on top of MSRP and delivery charge.

Now obviously these things are profit centers worth far less than $2,600 and regardless, things I don't want. Thus the real cost of the car to me would be MSRP + $900 + $2,600 (since I don't want the extras being added). How someone else might value these add-ons is another story.

In any case, I declined this "opportunity."
That is a horrible deal - I don't blame you for walking away.

My local Honda dealer, which has a great service department, will not budge from MSRP and puts $699 1980's appearance packages, consisting of a pinstripe, scotchgard and mudflaps, on every single car on the lot. I've been waiting for the Nitrogen add-on.

1 - 20 of 1451 Posts