Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Actual prices paid ONLY - comments will be deleted

710K views 2K replies 933 participants last post by  steve44 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As some of us prepare to enter negotiations with dealers, it would be really helpful to share some key information here to help others:

(YYYY)Trim Level (RT, RTS, Sport, RTL, RTL-T, RTL-E, Black Edition)
Exterior Color
City (County) and State of Purchase
Final Price Before Tax and Trade-in
Incentives and Discounts​
Trade-in Involved (yes/no)

Reason to ask if there is a trade-in involved is that makes it really hard to determine the actual price paid for the new vehicle. Getting some sense of whether people are paying MSRP, above, or below, especially where no trade-in is involved, will help others in their negotiations.

Thanks!

#1,358 ·
I think under 35 is a stretch. unless the car sat on the dealer lot for a year.

I think mid 35's for an RTL-E is about the bottom.

Also check supply in your area. Black RTL-E's make up a pretty small percentage of colors available on lots. Silver and White being higher on the percentage.

#1,360 ·
Sorry for the rube-ish question, been a while since I negotiated a car. If the dealer is quoting me a price 4k below 40k invoice, then telling me my OTD is almost back to invoice at 40k, are they figuring in $4,000 worth of taxes and destination etc on top of their “quoted price”? The 2k in state sales tax I get (ugh Pennsylvania) but I’m trying to get a grasp on that other 2k. Why even quote me a price of 36k if you haven’t even figured in the dealer costs I guess. It’s like what the airlines used to do.

#1,361 ·
Dealers in different states may have different rules/laws they must follow (or not), so certain fees may vary drastically between dealer. Taxes they collect may also differ some, as some states have extra taxes based on where the dealer is located. Also, some dealers may have you pay your county or municipal taxes (if there are any), while another may not do that.
Read previous posts in this thread about requesting each dealer send an out-the-door price AND provide a line-item breakdown of everything (vehicle, fees, other fees, title/license, taxes). That way you can do an apples-to-apples comparison of all items, most importantly the vehicle cost.
Make sure all dealer quotes include the destination fee and any dealer add-ons (don't buy the TruCoat). Good luck with your search!

#1,362 ·
I live in New Hampshire so no state tax for me:

35.7k + 99 wheel locks + 449 doc fee = 36248 "OTD", but what they don't account for is registration. Since we don't have sales tax, registration kind of makes up for it each yet. at 25$ per 1000 value of the vehicle. So I got hit with a 1000+ dollar registration bill because it was based on sticker or market value.

Say for a state like you are mentioning, 2k in taxes, 500 in doc fee, xxx in registration would put you closer to 4k in taxes and fees which makes up the OTD. My registration wasn't in the dealer OTD because we do that independently of the dealer.

Ask for a breakdown. If they don't give it to you go elsewhere.

#1,367 ·
Actually that sounds like a great price, and as good as you will do on a BE. BE at cost with the dealer passing along all $2,000 of the dealer cash to you is about $37,500 (including freight and dealer fees). The only thing that should go on top of that (assuming you don't buy accessories or extended warranties) are tax and title/license which are all imposed by the state and aren't negotiable.

#1,364 ·
Thanks for the info on the extra $500!

The green, red, and blue have always been endangered, over the last 9 months of looking I have never seen a dealer with more than one of these colors in stock at any one time, so I've never been able to compare side by side.

Most ridgelines on the lots are sport or rtl, you are right that the few t, e, be are all black or white by me as well.

#1,371 ·
I didn't buy that RTL ... but I ended up getting an RTL -T 2019 for $35,500 OTD .
I didn't mind paying a little more... but was concerned after I discovered, that it was at that dealership since Dec 2018... with only 8 miles on the speedometer... after I took it home!!!

#1,373 ·
Just picked up my Ridgeline, decided to go with a Used private sale since I found what I think was a great deal and save on the extra fees/taxes. Bought a 2017 Black Edition (Canadian) with 33k km on it (20500 miles). It has the accessory running boards, 3M film on the front, tinted windows and Honda plus extended warranty. I paid $38k Canadian ($29k US).

#1,375 ·
Congrats and enjoy. Practically new and a nicely installed cover to boot. Let us know honest impressions on that cover, it’s in the running for me. I still can’t seem to find the perfect one and that one looks ideal assuming it can install flush and gap and trouble free - which seems to be a great challenge.

#1,386 ·
Figure I will get us back to the theme of the thread here, hopefully help some others. Prices may drop further on 2019 leftovers in November with better incentives as well but who knows. The 2020 specs will certainly take a little shine away from 2019. That said I was ready and my local dealer wanted to earn my business by competing with the out of town internet offers. He did.

I am getting a new BE for $39,799 OTD all-in including 6% sales tax.

They are also putting a set of rails on top for an additional $400 which I negotiated down from $550, felt very fair. They are going to get some good reviews and ratings from me assuming deal goes through, the car is being sourced now.

#1,390 ·
About a month ago I checked via TruCar on an RTL, and the first couple quotes were a little over 34k (I think the sticker is about 37k). A couple of those dealers have come back with me at 31.9, which seems like a solid price.

My closest dealer said 31.9k, 1095 destination, 299 documentation, 90 "government fees", plus sales tax (6% here) of course. If I don't trade, I think the total would be $35,298.

#1,395 ·
Did you have a trade in @blaze741 ? Was that including destination? Were there dealer fees on top of that? These 3 variables can skew what the dealer shows as base cost after discount.

Based on what I know $36,500 is zero on an rtl-e after $2,000 dealer incentives. The only thing that this zero number does not include is state tax/title/license.

There is a whole thread on price paid: