Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Actual prices paid ONLY - comments will be deleted

710K views 2K replies 933 participants last post by  steve44 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As some of us prepare to enter negotiations with dealers, it would be really helpful to share some key information here to help others:

(YYYY)Trim Level (RT, RTS, Sport, RTL, RTL-T, RTL-E, Black Edition)
Exterior Color
City (County) and State of Purchase
Final Price Before Tax and Trade-in
Incentives and Discounts​
Trade-in Involved (yes/no)

Reason to ask if there is a trade-in involved is that makes it really hard to determine the actual price paid for the new vehicle. Getting some sense of whether people are paying MSRP, above, or below, especially where no trade-in is involved, will help others in their negotiations.

Thanks!

#6 ·
RTL-E
Forest Mist Metallic
San Diego County (California)
Price before trade-in: $42,265
Trade-in allowance after above was $500 over Carmax offer ($7,000 for a 2006 R1 with navigation)

My experience in Southern California was that the norm among dealers was MSRP, plus $900 delivery charge, plus various unwanted extras ranging in cost from $200 to $2,700. I was pleased to pay MSRP. Many of the first cars that arrived in So Cal sold prior to or as they hit the lots. At the dealer I bought at, they got five and sold three within 24 hours (I know because I had to return the next day for something).

Whether the popularity of the truck holds at this level, no one knows. Future pricing will obviously be a function of popularity and availability.

#7 · (Edited)
RTL_T
Green
I paid MSRP for mine, plus freight. But I got more than expected from my 2013 Ridgeline Sport on trade. I went in expecting to pay MSRP for the new truck, plus I expected to get about $3k less for my truck. Overall... pretty satisfied.

Oh yeah... I also got running boards, window tint and all weather mats for half price.

#32 ·
So you only lost around $4,000 on your 2014? Not too bad.

#15 ·
Yes, the tonneau cover was included. In case it made a difference (would like to know), I had no trade and paid cash. My initial offer last week (without the tonneau) was 39,500, which they laughed at on Saturday. Yesterday they got a couple more, and after a long discussion (during which I held firmly on my ground), they agreed to $40,000. Then I tried to get the tonneau cover a little below the MSRP and they accepted. Not sure why it worked; I guess I was lucky.... Geography clearly makes a difference. (Among all dealers, ours is small compared to, say, Kansas City.)

#17 ·
My wife and I have been waiting for the Ridgeline to hit dealer lots to decide if we wanted that or a Tacoma. I saw some good prices listed on cars.com, but decided to go to the local dealer to see about a test drive. This dealer (Honda of Concord, NC) is engaging in their usual bad business practices. A 2WD Sport ($33K) had over $3400 of add-ons driving the price up over an RTL-T AWD.
Hendricks car care application. $299
Nitrogen $199
Rear mud guards $326
Wheel locks $199
Hand painted pin stripe $199
Window tint $299
Lighted running boards $999
Hood deflector $499
Door visors $399

#18 ·
A 2WD Sport ($33K) had over $3400 of add-ons driving the price up over an RTL-T AWD.
Hendricks car care application. $299
Nitrogen $199
Rear mud guards $326
Wheel locks $199
Hand painted pin stripe $199
Window tint $299
Lighted running boards $999
Hood deflector $499
Door visors $399
Ouch. I guess Rick has to pay for his NASCAR teams somehow or other. ;)

#19 ·
$326 for Rear Mud Guards?!! Dealer cost is $30-$32!! This is why the term "Stealership" came about. I am confident you can negotiate your accessory choices right down to the bone in the opening months of Gen2 sales given very few buyers will see any movement on MSRP (to date, a few members have reported $500 off and more recently $1000 but trade ins on a deal muddy the water).

#20 ·
Extended Warranty Question to the Community:
What extended warranties are out there, how much and are they worth it?

I never buy these products (especially not for a Honda - my 1999 Accord is just broken in at 160,000 miles!) but....Joe's 10,000 number has seeded doubt and this IS a first run of a new generation (my Vin options are a 44xx or a 55xx).

Has any researched the options and checked the mice type (e.g: all device schedules must be performed (A & B) AND performed at a Honda dealer? I guess I'm asking for "where's the "catch".

#22 ·
Any dealer who adds that much crap to their car automatically gets removed from my shopping list. I'll still negotiate by email to get as many prices as possible, but no go for the final sale. In fact, when I buy a new car, I don't even want them touching it. My last Accord, I told them not to even wash it (since they run it through the machine like animals). I can peel off the stickers and hand wash it myself. The less a dealer touches my car, the better.

And pin stripes???? What year are these people living in?

#23 ·
It's becoming very difficult to find a dealer who doesn't add "pro-packs", "maintenance" packages, "protection" packages, etc. It's the next, greedy step for the dealers. Thanks primarily to the Internet, shoppers are becoming smarter and car dealers' true cost and tactics are being revealed. They're grasping for straws trying to squeeze out as much profit as they can.

A friend of mine went to our closest dealer earlier this week shopping for a Fit. MSRP = $17,000 + another $4,000 "pro pack". They wouldn't come down from the $21,000 sticker price. The mom is "unenlightened", but the son is more aggressive. He ended up causing a scene and was asked to leave before they called the police. (I taught him well. Haha!)

The 5 Ridgelines my closest dealer had yesterday already had pin stripe and window tint applied to the tune of about $200 each!!! They had the $42,270 RTL-E priced at $45,765 after the added "junk". They use the higher price to negotiate in hopes they customer will still pay over MSRP. Sadly, this appears to work more often than not.

I no longer negotiate, per se. I make a "take it or leave it" offer. Although it might take a few days' worth of emails and phone calls to a dozen dealers, I've been getting what I want. If a dealer even attempts to try and counter my offer, I politely, but firmly re-state that my offer is firm and I have cash in hand and unless they are willing to accept my offer without further discussion, then I'm leaving. Making a serious, firm, committed offer using cash is almost always successful. If not, then the dealer knows they can make more money off the next customer. Sometimes it happens - win most, lose some. :)

Reactions: magic99
#28 ·
Just signed for a RTL-E in Forest Mist Metallic with a tonneau cover and splash guards installed for $41500+$199 doc fee. Traded in a 2007 Silver RTL-Navi with 194k that needs the bumpers painted and tires (got $7000 in trade, about what CarMax offered). As part of the deal, also traded in our 2011 Odyssey Touring for a 2016 Odyssey Touring, and thanks to the Honda Dream Cash and some owner loyalty and dealer cash, bought that for right at $36k before the trade. On the total package I think I got an unbeatable deal...on the truck I think I did ok. :)

Happy hunting! There are good people in good car dealerships out there, but all too often it seems I have to drive a ways to meet them!

#33 ·
Sounds like you should own part of Honda after that expenditure!!:smile:

#36 · (Edited)
Indeed, just bought (coming next week) an RTL-E in Oregon for about that less than MSRP. That is only part of the story, they gave me book trade for my 06, free splash guards, and paid the destination charge. Overall about $1300 off invoice and no unwanted crap, advertising fees, or other BS.

I am happy with that, especially on a newly released truck. I agree with the other post that said the internet is having it's way with shady stealers. Some have begun to realise that their stealing can be from other dealers sales if they do it right. I do feel a bit sorry for the local sales guy who lost the sale because of his dealership's pricing, he was very helpful.