Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Actual prices paid ONLY - comments will be deleted

710K views 2K replies 933 participants last post by  steve44 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As some of us prepare to enter negotiations with dealers, it would be really helpful to share some key information here to help others:

(YYYY)Trim Level (RT, RTS, Sport, RTL, RTL-T, RTL-E, Black Edition)
Exterior Color
City (County) and State of Purchase
Final Price Before Tax and Trade-in
Incentives and Discounts​
Trade-in Involved (yes/no)

Reason to ask if there is a trade-in involved is that makes it really hard to determine the actual price paid for the new vehicle. Getting some sense of whether people are paying MSRP, above, or below, especially where no trade-in is involved, will help others in their negotiations.

Thanks!

#1,275 ·
A couple months back, I got multiple price quotes back from local dealers through the Costco Auto Program on a 2019 RTL-E. I tried to get another set of quotes back this morning that will include the dealer cash being discussed but I get the following message now:

Currently, we have not located a dealership in your area that has met our strict pricing criteria for the manufacturer you selected.
For your convenience, we have provided a list of comparable vehicles that are currently available with prearranged pricing at participating dealerships near you.
If you would like to choose another manufacturer, perform another search.

Anyone else having this problem?

#1,279 ·
No one can compare OTD prices. Some states have value based registration that could cost $1,000, while other states have $50 registration. Some states have 14% sales tax, some states have no sales tax.

Sport AWD should be about $31,000 including any dealer imposed fees, then tax title/license (and any optional add ons/service/warranties you agree to) goes on top of that number.

A couple months back, I got multiple price quotes back from local dealers through the Costco Auto Program on a 2019 RTL-E. I tried to get another set of quotes back this morning that will include the dealer cash being discussed but I get the following message now:

Currently, we have not located a dealership in your area that has met our strict pricing criteria for the manufacturer you selected.
For your convenience, we have provided a list of comparable vehicles that are currently available with prearranged pricing at participating dealerships near you.
If you would like to choose another manufacturer, perform another search.

Anyone else having this problem?
Doesn't surprise me, a dealer has to agree to sell at $300 below invoice and pass along any customer or dealer incentives. If they are the only Honda dealer in the area, it won't help them with allocation from Honda, so there is little benefit unless they feel really confident they can sell you warranties and bump you on financing.

Honda dealers around me are the least likely dealers to give that kind of deal.

#1,283 ·
I pulled the trigger.

'19 RTL-T AWD
Modern Steel
Black interior
Splash guards, all weather mats, cargo tray
w/ doc fee

They had to locate out of state. Lots of Sports and RTLs, a few Es in my area. Had to talk w/ 6 dealers. I have to drive an hour and 20 minutes for this but my local dealer let me get up and walk out last Saturday and neither the salesperson or sales manager have reached out. Not much better than their deal but this salesperson worked hard for my business, working 2 other used cars, which helped me make a decision. Nobody was willing to eliminate the ~ $150 doc fee but would lower truck price with it.

Car gurus has some crazy "great deal" pricing on their comparison tool but nobody would get there around here.

#1,289 ·
I missed out on a $750 off new car "sale" one dealer had because of the locate. There was no special APR right now and the dealer cash still applied. I would guess the military and graduate discount would still apply if applicable. Obviously you lose some leverage when it's a locate so have to factor that in. My local dealer just got a new RTL in last week, still had stickers on it - wasn't ready for sale, etc. which I thought was odd if they're closing out '19s. Upper trims definitely drying up around here.

#1,291 ·
It's all based on public records of actual prices paid and algorithms. If the computer wants to predict a purchase price for a new Civic Si, it needs to look no further than actual prices paid for previous model years. It's just a Civic Si. :)

Reactions: Ridgeland
#1,292 ·
Phoenix Arizona:
2019 RTL AWD in Forest Mist
MSRP + Delivery: $37,815
Dealer Cost (invoice + delivery - holdback): $33,922
Price: $31,544
Docs: $499
Tint: $499
No other fees except taxes and state mandated fees. I also got them to toss in the all weather mats.

I had a trade but price was negotiated and locked prior to bringing trade into discussion. I also got at the high end of KBB trade value, which I was surprised at considering my clear coat was peeling.

I got gouged on dealer docs and tint, I know, but the price of the vehicle more than made up for it. Including both those I still ended up $1400 under normal dealer cost. Honda is running extra incentives between manufacturer and dealers right now to get rid of 2019 stock. Not a bad time to pull the trigger.

Considering the fact that I decided it had to be in Forest Mist and there were a grand total of 4 for sale in the state, I am very pleased.

Phoenix Arizona:
No other fees except taxes and state mandated fees. I also got them to toss in the all weather mats.

I had a trade but price was negotiated and locked prior to bringing trade into discussion. I also got at the high end of KBB trade value, which I was surprised at considering my clear coat was peeling.

I got gouged on dealer docs and tint, I know, but the price of the vehicle more than made up for it. Including both those I still ended up $1400 under normal dealer cost. Honda is running extra incentives between manufacturer and dealers right now to get rid of 2019 stock. Not a bad time to pull the trigger.

Considering the fact that I decided it had to be in Forest Mist and there were a grand total of 4 for sale in the state, I am very pleased.
I should add that this came about via Truecar. The dealership I worked with sent me a quote for a silver one they had on the lot for the same price as above. I responded that I only wanted green, so they brought in a matching green one from their sister dealership in Tucson, same price. Funny thing is, the Tucson dealership also contacted me, offering the same car for 2k more. It pays to shop around.

#1,302 ·
Phoenix Arizona:

I should add that this came about via Truecar. The dealership I worked with sent me a quote for a silver one they had on the lot for the same price as above. I responded that I only wanted green, so they brought in a matching green one from their sister dealership in Tucson, same price. Funny thing is, the Tucson dealership also contacted me, offering the same car for 2k more. It pays to shop around.
Haven't seen any Forest Mist RL's live "in the wild", but think I'd like it. Could you maybe post a pic or two? If not, NP. Thanks.

Reactions: rfcii
#1,293 ·
It’s really great to see guys making some decent to good to very good deals on the Ridgeline.

I believe that those who have posted their deals here got some good onsite from others right here on ROC.

I know I did!

#1,295 ·
Vicki,

I’m not sure about the expiration of the 1500, but it would seem as though the dealers are more interested in moving the 19’s based on what people are saying they are making deals at.

#1,309 ·
someone else already answered, but yes. They extended the factory to dealer cash to October 31st (it looks like Honda did that for all vehicles that were set to expire on the 3rd of September) Sorry for the slow reply, just got back from vacation yesterday...My poor RL had to sit in airport parking for a week right when we got the largest several days of rainstorms we have seen in several years.

#1,306 ·
Reactions: zroger73
#1,311 ·
HI,

Test drove an RTL-E today, loved it. looking to pull the trigger on it.
Base price $36256
Tint $399. I will work on this as well
Protection package. $445. ( markup BS. etching, wheel locks, nitrogen). I will work on getting this down further.
Selling price $37100

Doc fee, tax, reg on top of this comes in around $4500. nothing I can work with here.

OTD. $41602

Any thoughts on the pricing? Any room on the $36256 in anyone opinion?

#1,312 ·
The 36,256 is a fake number, artificially low because of the doc fee, tint, and protection package junk. 36,500 to 37,000 is zero, this would include any doc fee. All the add ons may add $200 to zero at cost. ultimately that means I think your 37,100 number is fair if you can get them to drop the doc fee.

#1,314 ·
Everything in life is negotiable. I guess I don't know if some states mandate a certain doc fee, but in mine it is just a profit grab randomly set by each dealer. Even if your dealer says it is not negotiable, then go back to the add-ons instead or the base selling price.

$36,500 to 37,000 plus only tax/title/license is about zero/your starting point. If they need to show $500 doc fees on the paperwork, fine, 36,000-36,500 plus doc fee/tax/title/license. If you want to give them an additional $100-200 for all the add ons, that would be fine.

Depending on how much the doc fee is, what they are offering may not be too bad, it's just how bad you want to grind them down for the last few hundred dollars.