Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"What did you say... you found in the trunk?" is what my wife said when I told her about a recent discovery I uncovered while cleaning my truck.

I have been a long time lurker of this site and enjoy perusing the valuable information that has been assembled about the Ridgeline. I am the first owner of my 2006 silver Ridgeline with 104k miles. The Ridgeline has been a great truck but it has developed a problem that I haven’t been able to find any information about on this forum. I live in a heavily wooded area in the country and the truck has been parked outside all of its life. For the second time in 4 weeks I have found mice (dead) in my trunk. The first incident, about a month ago, I had a bit of spring fever so I decided that I would spend the day outside cleaning my truck. During the process of emptying everything out of the truck I opened the trunk to find a 0.5” (some places greater) layer of yellow foam bits covering the bottom of the trunk cavity. This puzzled me at first until I saw the yellow peanut shaped sponge that I left in the trunk months before. I picked up the sponge and upon closer examination discovered that it was hollow and stuffed with grass and shredded paper. Realizing that I had an infestation, I pulled everything out of the truck and found a dead mouse behind the spare tire. I looked for a point of entry and not finding one I was able to convince myself this was an isolated incident. Fast forward to this week…..I popped open the trunk to put some tools in it. Grabbed the jacket that I left in there a couple of weeks ago and when I picked it up 4 dead mice fell out of it. The mice had chewed a hole in the jacket liner and stuffed it with grass for a cozy little home…..a mobile home. Again I took everything out of the trunk and looked for a point of entry but came up with nothing obvious. On Wednesday I went to the animal shelter and picked up a cat to help control the mouse population but I don’t think he likes riding in the trunk.

Please don’t send me any hate mail I was kidding about the cat….but I will admit to thinking about it.

The grommet in the hole where wires pass into the trunk is in good shape and the drain plug in the bottom of the trunk is tightly secured. The only other possibility that I see is between the truck bed panels and the substructure below but I don’t know where they could get into that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As a side note, I believe that I have eradicated the colony of mice that inhabited one of the outbuildings behind my house. If not, I hope that I got all of the ones that knew how to break into my truck.

Doug

·
Registered
677 Posts
The only point of entry that I can think of off the top of my head would be towards the back of the area where the spare tire sits...I believe there are vent(s) back there to allow a little ventilation. You might want to remove the spare tire again and take a closer look. It's the only logical explanation since the trunk is presumably waterproof and only has a 3/4inch drain hole in the bottom.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Maybe the mice are able to remove and replace the plug?.......do you live near a nuclear power plant?....oops wrong thread.....:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Very mysterious. Maybe alternate between the cat and some traps!! Or for an adventure try both simultaneously!!! Try a little Decon on top of both rear wheels after parking for the night. Domesticated animals more than likely couldnt be bothered with it or even get at it so it should be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts